View Poll Results: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • All cameras should be abolished

    50 49.50%
  • Abolish red light cameras only

    5 4.95%
  • Abolish speeding cameras only

    7 6.93%
  • Abolish other types of cameras only (specify)

    0 0%
  • Allow all cameras to remain in use

    28 27.72%
  • Other (specify)

    11 10.89%
Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 466

Thread: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

  1. #341
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    701

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    In my state it is a civil issue also, hence the skating around the Constitutional issues of not identifying the driver and only going after the owner.
    Such a ticket, as a non occupied parking ticket is a "prima facie" case agaisnt the registered owner, it has nothing to do with what you state. An alibi needs to be argued if it was not you driving/parking.

  2. #342
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    701

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    All an officer needs to do a road side search is plain sight or "reasonable" cause. Like when he lit you up, something fell from your car, you were swerving, everyone inside the car started bouncing around, you didnt react to the lights in a timely fashion.
    "Reasonable" Cause is interchangeable with "Probable" Cause, which is different from Reasonable suspicion.

    Under the automobile exception, state specific, if an officer has PC to believe contraband is in the car, he can search it without a warrant, but PC must exist.

    Any or all of those things will give an officer just cause to look around your car. All he needs to find is a few seeds and at that point rip your car to shreds.
    No, he can't rip it to shreds, extreme detail searches require a warrant.

  3. #343
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,268

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    Well, that's what stupid people get for following too close.

    2 second rule....

    Anyone...
    My guess (only a guess) is that the rear end accidents that are likely caused by tailgating and stops at yellow lights are more like "fender benders" with rare serious injury. I would think the accidents caused by the red light runners are often T-bone type accidents that can be quite serious. And go figure, I care more about serious bodily injury.

  4. #344
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,274

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    My guess (only a guess) is that the rear end accidents that are likely caused by tailgating and stops at yellow lights are more like "fender benders" with rare serious injury. I would think the accidents caused by the red light runners are often T-bone type accidents that can be quite serious. And go figure, I care more about serious bodily injury.
    I think so too. I'll bet if we review the statistics were people are claiming more accidents, they are just that for the most part. Non serious rear end taps.

    I brake check people. If you follow me too close, I will hit my brakes moderately hard.

  5. #345
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,268

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    I think so too. I'll bet if we review the statistics were people are claiming more accidents, they are just that for the most part. Non serious rear end taps.

    I brake check people. If you follow me too close, I will hit my brakes moderately hard.
    It is really simple.

    Don't tailgate.

    If you need to get someplace earlier, leave sooner.

    Don't blame cameras or your poor driving choices.

  6. #346
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    I brake check people. If you follow me too close, I will hit my brakes moderately hard.
    Sounds like something a stupid person would do. Two stupids don't make a smart.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #347
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Still not one redlight camera supporter has shown how a person can legally avoid a redlight ticket with certainty for the many reasons I gave that it can't be done.

    Why? Because they don't care about whether the person actual ran a redlight or not, nor about safety. They only care about more, endless, government control to try to soothe their own fears.

  8. #348
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Still not one redlight camera supporter has shown how a person can legally avoid a redlight ticket with certainty for the many reasons I gave that it can't be done.

    Why? Because they don't care about whether the person actual ran a redlight or not, nor about safety. They only care about more, endless, government control to try to soothe their own fears.
    No one ever addresses the due process and "innocent until proven guilty" aspects, either... which just reinforces in my mind even more that people who prattle on about responsibility and law & order the most really don't give a crap about it.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #349
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,274

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Sounds like something a stupid person would do. Two stupids don't make a smart.
    I do so enough to scare people to driving better. I watch carefully to accelerate before being hit.

    Yes, I can see how my particular habit can be thought of as stupid. I simply do not like people violating my safety zone. I force them to realize that if I had to make an emergency stop, that they would have hit me. If they don't understand that, then not much else I can do.

  10. #350
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,268

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    No one ever addresses the due process and "innocent until proven guilty" aspects, either... which just reinforces in my mind even more that people who prattle on about responsibility and law & order the most really don't give a crap about it.
    You have the right to go to court and fight it. many people do.

    Now, if you think there is some elaborate scheme where they have CGI your face onto another driver, I am all ears.

    I know there are a few (not all) of the intersections that have red light cameras that I feel much safer since they were placed. Too many close calls.

    I do agree with a prior poster that the company in charge of the cameras should get a flat rate. They should have no financial incentive to play games with them.

Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •