View Poll Results: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • All cameras should be abolished

    50 49.50%
  • Abolish red light cameras only

    5 4.95%
  • Abolish speeding cameras only

    7 6.93%
  • Abolish other types of cameras only (specify)

    0 0%
  • Allow all cameras to remain in use

    28 27.72%
  • Other (specify)

    11 10.89%
Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 466

Thread: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

  1. #241
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You never know. But it is still wrong. You know what you did was wrong. You know you broke the law.
    (Getting away from the traffic aspect a bit) We all break the law every day... and don't even know it.

    Three Felonies A Day: How the Feds Target the Innocent: Harvey Silverglate, Alan M. Dershowitz: 9781594035227: Amazon.com: Books
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #242
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    A friend of mine contested a ticket for something along the lines of "driving a car with expired inspection sticker".

    The cop noticed his car while they were both at a gas station, so he (the cop) had no proof that he had actually driven the car (well, not legal proof) there.

    Judge agreed with my friend.
    Did your friend stay there standing around until after the cop left?

    Anyway, this was over 20 years ago, but I was once in traffic court in the audience waiting my turn. One case had a cop and an empty chair. The defendant failed to show up. The cop must have thought it was a slam dunk, and basically gave zero testimony. The judge asked the cop THREE TIMES if he wanted to add anything else. The cop declined each time.

    The judge said "ok", and found the defendant not guilty due to lack of evidence (the cop was incredulous)... then turned around and issued an arrest warrant for the defendant for failure to appear.

    Next case: Same cop, different defendant... also a no-show. The cop gave a much more detailed testimony. He got his conviction on that one. That no-show defendant also got an arrest warrant for failure to appear.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #243
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,496

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You are assuming that every cop is the same. Not all are.

    And I care because for one, I might eventually be one. And my husband is one. So, yes, I care how cops look. It is wrong to lie just because you believe all cops do it. First of all, you would be wrong in your stereotyping. And second, why do you feel it is okay for you to make him/her look bad eventhough you know you broke the law?
    My brother was one. I was accepted into the NYPD but got a better paying job elsewhere so I'm not disposed to hate cops - though I do think the general quality of t However, I've been around the block enough times to know that at least where I live cops write tickets and look for reasons to stop cars on the flimsiest of pretexts. There are squads here whose sole job is writing tickets (and I'm not talking about highway patrol either). Their sole function is generating revenue.

    I'm not saying to perjure yourself. But even if I was speeding I'm going to ask that the cop prove that the radar gun was calibrated and if he can't and the ticket gets tossed I'm not going to be upset about it or worry too much about how the officer might look because he didn't properly do his job - though in truth I'm guessing no one, even the cop, would think twice about it.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  4. #244
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,753

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Did your friend stay there standing around until after the cop left?

    Anyway, this was over 20 years ago, but I was once in traffic court in the audience waiting my turn. One case had a cop and an empty chair. The defendant failed to show up. The cop must have thought it was a slam dunk, and basically gave zero testimony. The judge asked the cop THREE TIMES if he wanted to add anything else. The cop declined each time.

    The judge said "ok", and found the defendant not guilty due to lack of evidence (the cop was incredulous)... then turned around and issued an arrest warrant for the defendant for failure to appear.

    Next case: Same cop, different defendant... also a no-show. The cop gave a much more detailed testimony. He got his conviction on that one. That no-show defendant also got an arrest warrant for failure to appear.
    I don't recall exactly, this was several years ago...I think my friend may have received the ticket in the mail, or something...
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  5. #245
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,058

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    But I don't favor warrantless searches...
    I didnt say that you did. I said that one could use the same exact reasoning to justify warrantless searches.

  6. #246
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,095

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    I didnt say that you did. I said that one could use the same exact reasoning to justify warrantless searches.
    I know you didn't and I agree that they could. That is why we vote per issue instead of reasoning... I support one but not the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  7. #247
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,058

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I know you didn't and I agree that they could. That is why we vote per issue instead of reasoning... I support one but not the other.
    When did we get to vote on these camera's? the concept is that these camera's are regulatory devices that are put in place by those with the authority to do so. There isnt any public vote in the matter except by voting those that you disagree with on the issue. On a regulatory level they must be rationalized. Legalities, numbers and evidence added together with public acceptance of these cameras is how it should work. If we do not like the cameras we should be able to influence the authorities to cease their use. But public acceptance is a fickle thing. lol sometimes we are wrong.

  8. #248
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,095

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    When did we get to vote on these camera's? the concept is that these camera's are regulatory devices that are put in place by those with the authority to do so. There isnt any public vote in the matter except by voting those that you disagree with on the issue.
    We didn't vote. I said vote in that I approve.

    On a regulatory level they must be rationalized. Legalities, numbers and evidence added together with public acceptance of these cameras is how it should work. If we do not like the cameras we should be able to influence the authorities to cease their use. But public acceptance is a fickle thing. lol sometimes we are wrong.
    We can. We can write our public officials to make a change. If they don't we vote them out of office.

    I think that CCTV and Red Light camera's are a good thing. I want them in public places (business districts).
    If the majority disagrees with me then use the power of the vote and I will live a life of sorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  9. #249
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,058

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    We didn't vote. I said vote in that I approve.



    We can. We can write our public officials to make a change. If they don't we vote them out of office.

    I think that CCTV and Red Light camera's are a good thing. I want them in public places (business districts).
    If the majority disagrees with me then use the power of the vote and I will live a life of sorrow.
    You dont see any danger in a progressive larger problem involving surveillance cameras? Law isnt issue based its universal to a certain degree.

  10. #250
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,095

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    You dont see any danger in a progressive larger problem involving surveillance cameras? Law isnt issue based its universal to a certain degree.
    There are possible problems/issues with many things including camera's. I see the good far outweight the bad though and with anything there is a slippery slope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •