View Poll Results: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • All cameras should be abolished

    50 49.50%
  • Abolish red light cameras only

    5 4.95%
  • Abolish speeding cameras only

    7 6.93%
  • Abolish other types of cameras only (specify)

    0 0%
  • Allow all cameras to remain in use

    28 27.72%
  • Other (specify)

    11 10.89%
Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 466

Thread: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

  1. #231
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    I say ban the camers.

    Here in Ohio a judge in Cininatti has ruled that the cameras are unconstitutional and ordered them shut off. After the company that operates them turned them back on he had them confiscated and impounded until they pay back people all the ticket money.

    Now the Ohio House has passed a law banning them along party lines and hearings commenced in the Senate last week.

    After the 2010 mid-terms us Ohioans grabbed the Democrats by their tonsils with our big hairy nutsacks and dragged them kicking and gagging out of the Statehouse and Govenor's office. (Figuratively of course). They got the worst teabagging ever. So now all three branches of the Ohio government are controlled by Republicans. Those cameras will be outlawed in Ohio very soon.

  2. #232
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I see people do that behind me all the time.

    On a somewhat related note to this discussion, I ran a red light last night, because I was rubbernecking at something on the opposite side of the road and didn't see the yellow light until it switched to red when I was about 10 feet from the intersection, traveling somewhere in the 30-40 MPH range (I think). Briefly I hit my brakes, but I quickly realized that I would end up stopped in the middle of the intersection...so I kept going.
    I've been in the car with people who have ran fully red lights accidentally. It does happen. But that wouldn't mean they wouldn't be any less responsible for an accident that may have occurred because of their not paying attention. The thing is when someone is caught doing it, they should take responsibility for it, instead of complaining about why they were caught.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #233
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Actually there would be the officer who gave you the ticket. And that is why I said it depends on how you fought it. If he says you were doing 67 in a 55, are you going to deny it, even if you knew that was what you were doing? How are you planning on fighting this without making the officer look like he/she was lying or being petty?
    You say that as if the officer is as pure as a new snowfall and never lies them self. I've experienced situations where an officer said one thing when giving me the ticket and then said the polar opposite in court. Our system isn't about right and wrong, it's adversarial and, for good or for bad, is about winning.

    I wouldn't try to purposely embarrass the officer, that's hardly good strategy when the officer and the judge see themselves as being on the same side. I have never said an officer was lying, but once I used the word "mistaken".
    Last edited by radcen; 10-14-13 at 06:00 PM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #234
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    You say that as if the officer is as pure as a new snowfall and never lies them self. I've experienced situations where an officer said one thing when giving me the ticket and then said the polar opposite in court. Our system isn't about right and wrong, it's adversarial and, for good or for bad, is about winning.

    I wouldn't try to purposely embarrass the officer, that's hardly good strategy when the office and the judge see themselves as being on the same side. I have never said an officer was lying, but once I used the word "mistaken".
    Some may lie. But you said that you would still fight it if you knew you did what you were accused of doing. Saying the officer was "mistaken", when you well know that you did something wrong is lying. And that lie could bring mistrust of that officer's ability to do his/her job just because you want to try to get out of a ticket because you feel that the system has screwed you over before.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #235
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I've been in the car with people who have ran fully red lights accidentally. It does happen. But that wouldn't mean they wouldn't be any less responsible for an accident that may have occurred because of their not paying attention. The thing is when someone is caught doing it, they should take responsibility for it, instead of complaining about why they were caught.
    Luckily it was almost midnight and the intersection was almost deserted.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  6. #236
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Some may lie. But you said that you would still fight it if you knew you did what you were accused of doing. Saying the officer was "mistaken", when you well know that you did something wrong is lying. And that lie could bring mistrust of that officer's ability to do his/her job just because you want to try to get out of a ticket because you feel that the system has screwed you over before.
    In that particular case the officer was either mistaken or lying. No lying on my part. Spin, maybe, not outright lying.

    As far as bringing mistrust and affecting the ability to do their job... it's traffic court. They probably joke about it at the water cooler afterward. Claiming it's damaging to the officer is hyperbole.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #237
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,441

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Actually there would be the officer who gave you the ticket. And that is why I said it depends on how you fought it. If he says you were doing 67 in a 55, are you going to deny it, even if you knew that was what you were doing? How are you planning on fighting this without making the officer look like he/she was lying or being petty?
    Why would you care about how the officer looks? That's a serious question. His job is to get you ticketed and assist in your conviction. He doesn't care how he makes you look in the process. Why would you give one whit about how you make him look?

    Speed limits can be about safety but more often than not they're about generating tickets.

    That said if your defense is going to be "he lied" you might as well save everyone the trouble and just write the check.

    I'
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  8. #238
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    In that particular case the officer was either mistaken or lying. No lying on my part. Spin, maybe, not outright lying.

    As far as bringing mistrust and affecting the ability to do their job... it's traffic court. They probably joke about it at the water cooler afterward. Claiming it's damaging to the officer is hyperbole.
    You never know. But it is still wrong. You know what you did was wrong. You know you broke the law.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #239
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    In that particular case the officer was either mistaken or lying. No lying on my part. Spin, maybe, not outright lying.

    As far as bringing mistrust and affecting the ability to do their job... it's traffic court. They probably joke about it at the water cooler afterward. Claiming it's damaging to the officer is hyperbole.
    A friend of mine contested a ticket for something along the lines of "driving a car with expired inspection sticker".

    The cop noticed his car while they were both at a gas station, so he (the cop) had no proof that he had actually driven the car (well, not legal proof) there.

    Judge agreed with my friend.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  10. #240
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    Why would you care about how the officer looks? That's a serious question. His job is to get you ticketed and assist in your conviction. He doesn't care how he makes you look in the process. Why would you give one whit about how you make him look?

    Speed limits can be about safety but more often than not they're about generating tickets.

    That said if your defense is going to be "he lied" you might as well save everyone the trouble and just write the check.

    I'
    You are assuming that every cop is the same. Not all are.

    And I care because for one, I might eventually be one. And my husband is one. So, yes, I care how cops look. It is wrong to lie just because you believe all cops do it. First of all, you would be wrong in your stereotyping. And second, why do you feel it is okay for you to make him/her look bad eventhough you know you broke the law?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •