View Poll Results: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • All cameras should be abolished

    50 49.50%
  • Abolish red light cameras only

    5 4.95%
  • Abolish speeding cameras only

    7 6.93%
  • Abolish other types of cameras only (specify)

    0 0%
  • Allow all cameras to remain in use

    28 27.72%
  • Other (specify)

    11 10.89%
Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 466

Thread: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

  1. #221
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Posted speed is posted speed. Pay the ticket.
    duh, I did pay the ticket that wasn't the point.

  2. #222
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    ^ A nonsensical question.
    Show me the stats of people who died while driving 80 to 85 mph in a 70 speed limit zone on an Interstate.
    some people are overawed by authority and deferential to the point of being subservient to laws-even ones that can cause silly interpretations or results



  3. #223
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I have often thought that signs and lights should be situational. For example, in your case, allowing 45 at 3am would be fine. Same with allowing a red light to be treated as a stop sign at 3am and the streets are otherwise empty. Why should I have to sit and wait for 2-3 minutes for the light to cycle when there's nobody else around?

    But, I always come back to the fact that too many people are friggen morons and this would actually cause more problems than its worth.
    I agree. I can't help thinking that if a human was there (cop), he wouldn't have pulled me over for speeding in a high traffic area at that time of night as my speed was not excessive. Those cameras are big money makers but in the meantime I will think twice before visiting again only to make a point. I would have given them plenty of revenue in a more conscionable way.

  4. #224
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:09 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    But you could be allowing someone to take the blame if you claim something less than truthful against what the cop says just simply to get out of the ticket. I'm not saying you would, but since you know you did something to break the law, I don't see how you couldn't.
    I'm not sure I follow. Let's say I get a ticket for going 67 in a 55. As far as that particular ticket and the traffic court is concerned, it's either me declared guilty or me being declared not guilty. Nobody else is involved to take the blame.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #225
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,049

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I'm not sure I follow. Let's say I get a ticket for going 67 in a 55. As far as that particular ticket and the traffic court is concerned, it's either me declared guilty or me being declared not guilty. Nobody else is involved to take the blame.
    Actually there would be the officer who gave you the ticket. And that is why I said it depends on how you fought it. If he says you were doing 67 in a 55, are you going to deny it, even if you knew that was what you were doing? How are you planning on fighting this without making the officer look like he/she was lying or being petty?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #226
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,753

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Not under the law. In fact, even if you are within a distance where stopping isn't possible for a yellow light, you are not supposed to "floor it", despite popular belief.

    This is part of the reason that people in the US can be bad drivers, they tend to get set in certain patterns of bad driving behavior, and then complain about efforts to correct that bad driving behavior.
    My understanding of the law is that a "yellow light" means "stop unless you are very close to or already in the intersection".

    Floor it, no. Speed up a bit to clear the intersection, possibly.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  7. #227
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,049

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    My understanding of the law is that a "yellow light" means "stop unless you are very close to or already in the intersection".

    Floor it, no. Speed up a bit to clear the intersection, possibly.
    You could speed up a little to make it, because it will generally be a judgement call, or at least it should be. Unfortunately, we have a lot of people who aren't using good judgement on it. I can't count how many times I have seen people make a left turn on a yellow light, meaning they were stopped to wait for the person in front of them to turn, and moved into the intersection after the light turned yellow, usually resulting in holding up traffic because they weren't patient enough to wait that extra light cycle.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #228
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,753

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You could speed up a little to make it, because it will generally be a judgement call, or at least it should be. Unfortunately, we have a lot of people who aren't using good judgement on it. I can't count how many times I have seen people make a left turn on a yellow light, meaning they were stopped to wait for the person in front of them to turn, and moved into the intersection after the light turned yellow, usually resulting in holding up traffic because they weren't patient enough to wait that extra light cycle.
    I see people do that behind me all the time.

    On a somewhat related note to this discussion, I ran a red light last night, because I was rubbernecking at something on the opposite side of the road and didn't see the yellow light until it switched to red when I was about 10 feet from the intersection, traveling somewhere in the 30-40 MPH range (I think). Briefly I hit my brakes, but I quickly realized that I would end up stopped in the middle of the intersection...so I kept going.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  9. #229
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,096

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    The same reasoning could be used for things like 'warrantless searches dont matter if you have nothing to hide'.
    But I don't favor warrantless searches...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  10. #230
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,096

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    The government could easily require GPS and cellular to new cars black boxes, for which every traffic violation, ie criminal charge, could be mailed to each person each month - such as:
    They are already doing that.

    The case put Mr. Murray at the center of a growing debate over a little-known but increasingly important piece of equipment buried deep inside a car: the event data recorder, more commonly known as the black box.

    About 96 percent of all new vehicles sold in the United States have the boxes, and in September 2014, if the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has its way, all will have them.


    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/bu...vacy.html?_r=0

    If a person doesn't want tickets, they should comply with all traffic laws 100% of the time in your claim.
    Agreed...

    It would not be that much a challenge or expense to also require such government monitoring and prosecution for traffic violations for bicycles too.
    They do that when they catch somebody breaking a biking law...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •