View Poll Results: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • All cameras should be abolished

    50 49.50%
  • Abolish red light cameras only

    5 4.95%
  • Abolish speeding cameras only

    7 6.93%
  • Abolish other types of cameras only (specify)

    0 0%
  • Allow all cameras to remain in use

    28 27.72%
  • Other (specify)

    11 10.89%
Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 466

Thread: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

  1. #201
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,479

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Yes, they can enter your home with out a warrant. I have said, just a few posts before some of the reasons they can. But for your car you have a "diminished expectaion of privacy".
    True enough given that cars aren't residences and that it's easy to look in them. However as I said, and I think you agree, the rule book does not get thrown out the window.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  2. #202
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    That's why in my scenario one would fight the ticket. They were already 1/4 of the way across the street when the light changed. The cop saw it differently. Maybe it was close to the end of the month and the cop had to make his quota for the month ? Some municipalities police departments do have quotas that their officers must meet.

    Considering all of the problems you have encountered navigating the sidewalks and crossing streets while walking, I suggest you don't start driving a car.
    Why would I fight a ticket where I know I broke the law? In your first scenario, I broke the law. Unless I had a damn good reason for doing so, I'm not going to fight it.

    Now, there is a big problem with your scenario above. Unless the person is having problems walking, there is no way that they left while the person was showing on the walk sign and only made it 1/4 of the way across the street before the light changed if the lights were working properly. It sounds like they left to cross the street while the hand was blinking, which is a don't start crossing signal.

    And my mother has had one ticket in her life, and it was most likely for a quota (in NC). She fought it and got off. She had to only pay the lawyer, not the fine nor court costs.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #203
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Every study shows that redlight cameras dramatically increase the number of accidents.

    Red-Light Cameras Increase Accidents: 5 Studies That Prove It

    But some municipal governments would kill and criminal any number of people to get more money for themselves - and people who want control-freak government will always support any thuggery by government.
    I showed a study earlier in the thread that showed differently. It showed a decrease in accidents for some in Newark, NJ.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #204
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,166

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by ronpaulvoter View Post
    Are you aware that traffic enforcement cameras are designed primarily to steal people's money rather than enhance safety?

    Did you know that the yellow on many intersections on major highways is set at the minimum legal limit of three seconds--inadequate most of the time?

    Did you know that cameras cause more accidents than they prevent?

    Would you like to abolish any of these?

    Do you have many cameras in your neighborhood?

    Have you received any (or many) tickets from cameras?
    I've never received a ticket from a red light camera but there were controversies in my state. For one they were ticketing people for taking a right turn on a red and not coming to a complete stop...which wasn't in the law....and they was a controversy with lowering the amount of time it took from a light turning yellow to red. There is a federal guidlines for the time a light should stay yellow and by slighly decreasing that time they realized they could make more money.

    Sooo....TLDR...yes red light cams are bull**** and if anything have led to more fender benders as people speed up to make yellow lights or slam on breaks as soon as it turns red. It has nothing to do with safety because the drunk idiot that runs a red light and hits someone still does. All it's done is create more headaches at intersections.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  5. #205
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    True enough given that cars aren't residences and that it's easy to look in them. However as I said, and I think you agree, the rule book does not get thrown out the window.
    All an officer needs to do a road side search is plain sight or "reasonable" cause. Like when he lit you up, something fell from your car, you were swerving, everyone inside the car started bouncing around, you didnt react to the lights in a timely fashion.
    Any or all of those things will give an officer just cause to look around your car. All he needs to find is a few seeds and at that point rip your car to shreds.

  6. #206
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Quote the law that everyone is supposed to "slow down" at every intersection with a traffic light. How slow? 5 mph? 10 mph? It is discrepancies in speed that causes far more accidents than people speeding. Speeding by itself never causes an accident and few people deliberately run a redlight.
    If you see a yellow light coming up, you should be slowing down to stop for the upcoming red light. If you are right at the intersection when it turns yellow, that is when you have a pass because you obviously won't have enough time to stop.

    What to do when the light turns yellow? : Driver’s Ed Guru

    So in fact the answer is to "Stop" but generally that involves slowing down quickly, not slamming on your brakes.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #207
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    If you see a yellow light coming up, you should be slowing down to stop for the upcoming red light. If you are right at the intersection when it turns yellow, that is when you have a pass because you obviously won't have enough time to stop.

    What to do when the light turns yellow? : Driver’s Ed Guru

    So in fact the answer is to "Stop" but generally that involves slowing down quickly, not slamming on your brakes.
    Green means go, yellow means floor it. Red means floor it and hold your breath.

  8. #208
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Why would I fight a ticket where I know I broke the law? In your first scenario, I broke the law. Unless I had a damn good reason for doing so, I'm not going to fight it.
    I usually, but not always, fight tickets even if I know I'm guilty. Why? Because I have in the past been given a ticket and declared guilty when in fact I wasn't, but the LEO's testimony was given more credibility by the judge simply because he was a LEO.

    Petty? Vindictive? Yeah, probably. But, because the system is so unequal they're at least going to earn it.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #209
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Green means go, yellow means floor it. Red means floor it and hold your breath.
    Not under the law. In fact, even if you are within a distance where stopping isn't possible for a yellow light, you are not supposed to "floor it", despite popular belief.

    This is part of the reason that people in the US can be bad drivers, they tend to get set in certain patterns of bad driving behavior, and then complain about efforts to correct that bad driving behavior.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #210
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    What was the posted speed?
    I told you posted speed was 35 due to being a high traffic area. Only there is no traffic at 3am so "high traffic" area doesn't apply with one car on the road.

Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •