View Poll Results: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • All cameras should be abolished

    50 49.50%
  • Abolish red light cameras only

    5 4.95%
  • Abolish speeding cameras only

    7 6.93%
  • Abolish other types of cameras only (specify)

    0 0%
  • Allow all cameras to remain in use

    28 27.72%
  • Other (specify)

    11 10.89%
Page 16 of 47 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 466

Thread: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

  1. #151
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,707

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    There are people who want the government watching everything they do to protect them from themselves. There are always people who hate and fear freedom, other people and even themselves. Those people essentially declare the government is their "God" and therefore "laws" are the will of their god.

    I seriously doubt the American revolution was not due to colonists being outraged that the King of England wasn't regulating and policing them enough. It amazes me how many Americans now rage against personal freedom and privacy on behalf of wanting an all-seeing police state.
    Revolution over traffic cameras! YYEEEEAAARRRRGGHHHHH!!!
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  2. #152
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,707

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    I think there's a bigger issue than that.

    Laws are supposed to be for the benefit of the people. We enact laws, and set up mechanism to enforce them, in the hopes that people will obey these laws, and by doing so, create a safer, more orderly society in which everyone's rights and everyone's legitimate interests are protected.

    Here, we have a situation where laws and enforcement mechanisms are set up in the hope that people will be caught violating them, so that government can use this as an excuse to fine them. The profit is motive, not safety or order. For government to take part in this sort of practice is pure corruption.
    Though there may be a grain of truth to this, I don't entirely buy it. For three reasons.

    1. Even if all of this were true, people are reacting to alleged extremism with extremism of their own. This is not a cut-and-dry, black-and-white issue. There needs to be a balance between protecting the safety of law-abiding drivers vs. maintaining the rights of the ones who are accused of violating the law.

    2. I live very close to an area that has traffic light cameras everywhere. And I drive through those intersections quite often. Number of times I have received a ticket from one of them? Zero.

    3. Where is all this outcry over the for-profit prison system, which enslaves imprisons one-in-three African-American men in his lifetime?

    It is not the opposition to the traffic cameras per se that I have a problem with. There are some valid concerns raised. Rather, it is the militancy, the imbecile references to the Revolution and the Founding Fathers, the I'm-right-you're-wrong attitude that many of them show. Let's get one thing clear right now: Tens of thousands of people die on our roads every year. That should be the major concern here, not whether someone got a ticket because they chose to run a red light. If the yellow lights are allegedly too short, then people need to go out there and gather the evidence for themselves. Measure the width of the intersection when it's safe to do so, then get out a stopwatch and calculate exactly what the yellow time is. Then submit that information to city council or whatever authority is responsible. If, and I do mean if, that is done, and if properly-gathered evidence clearly shows that the yellow light times must be lengthened, and the authorities refuse to grant a bit more leeway to yellow lights, THEN AND ONLY THEN is it fair to start protesting the cameras. And not one minute before.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  3. #153
    Educator Starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-01-17 @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    881

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    If they were driving properly, neither would be an issue.
    Thing is, even when people are driving properly, they get spooked by the presence of law enforcement (be it in the form of a cruiser or a camera). I drive a car that is easily mistaken for a police car, and never fail I see people react dumbly as I drive down the freeway. Even people who were not doing anything wrong prior to me being there.

    I'm not saying that this number of accidents would be extraordinary or even statistically significant, but I do see it as a possibility.

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    Because the potential for accidents is high. So it is a public service (deterrent) and a revenue producer all rolled in one. Damn, I love me a twofer.
    Any time you get inside of a motor vehicle and drive down a street the potential for an accident is high.

    In practice I agree that the intersection cameras likely do provide a good incentive for people to obey traffic laws, however on principal I am opposed to their use. It's a really difficult position to maintain, but alas that's where I stand.

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    lol We were thinking about shooting out some cameras (I think).
    I'm game, just give me the time/ place.

    Maybe it could be our civic duty.

  4. #154
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,788

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Traffic control cameras and CCTV are GREAT ideas and should stay around. Don't want a ticket? Drive safer and slow down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #155
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,154

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    You need to look at the ticket. Its typically a civil issue. In my state they can't put a warrant on you for failure to pay because it isn't a criminal act. I never pay them. Because the DPS says its illegal to force me to pay. No sense in abolishing them they are toothless in the first place. As a matter of fact my state legislature is in court with the city government attempting to force the city to repay anybody that paid the voluntary "fine."

    Look at your state laws, if it isn't a criminal accusation, inany case I can't imagine it being being that it isn't constitutional to accuse you of a crime with no hard evidence, after all they couldn't possibly know that it is the registered owner of the vehicle driving it at the moment the camera took the picture. Don't pay them unless you have to.

  6. #156
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    You need to look at the ticket. Its typically a civil issue. In my state they can't put a warrant on you for failure to pay because it isn't a criminal act. I never pay them. Because the DPS says its illegal to force me to pay. No sense in abolishing them they are toothless in the first place. As a matter of fact my state legislature is in court with the city government attempting to force the city to repay anybody that paid the voluntary "fine."

    Look at your state laws, if it isn't a criminal accusation, inany case I can't imagine it being being that it isn't constitutional to accuse you of a crime with no hard evidence, after all they couldn't possibly know that it is the registered owner of the vehicle driving it at the moment the camera took the picture. Don't pay them unless you have to.
    In my state it is a civil issue also, hence the skating around the Constitutional issues of not identifying the driver and only going after the owner. I'm pretty sure they cannot issue a warrant for not paying, but from what I understand they do send you to a collection agency, and ding your credit at the least.

    This state, however, has a long list of fines and penalties and fees that must be paid and up-to-date before you can renew a vehicle license or drivers license, including many things that aren't related to driving or vehicle ownership at all. I do not know if this would fall into that category as well.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #157
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,154

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    In my state it is a civil issue also, hence the skating around the Constitutional issues of not identifying the driver and only going after the owner. I'm pretty sure they cannot issue a warrant for not paying, but from what I understand they do send you to a collection agency, and ding your credit at the least.

    This state, however, has a long list of fines and penalties and fees that must be paid and up-to-date before you can renew a vehicle license or drivers license, including many things that aren't related to driving or vehicle ownership at all. I do not know if this would fall into that category as well.
    Here the city says they will tell the state not to allow the owner to register the vehicle if this bill isn't paid. The state tells the city, "up yours they want to pay us." State doesn't get a cut, all streets roads and so forth belong to the state thus the state always gets a cut of traffic fines no matter what. Its almost like organized crime but the state doesn't see any of the traffic cam money. Its actually against our state law for a city to collect such fines.

  8. #158
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,040

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Traffic control cameras and CCTV are GREAT ideas and should stay around. Don't want a ticket? Drive safer and slow down.
    The same reasoning could be used for things like 'warrantless searches dont matter if you have nothing to hide'.

  9. #159
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    if that is how the law is worded, the ONLY way to drive legally, since people do not have ESP and have no idea when a light will turn yellow, is to stop at every GREEN light and wait for it to go thru the yellow and red cycle - and then go when it turns green again. If a person is willing to gamble the light will remain green and does not stop at every green light, then they obviously should be prepared to slam on their brakes when the light turns yellow. To SLOWER a person is going the more likely it is the turn yellow approaching the intersection. So EITHER a person should STOP at every GREEN light (the only certainly legal way OR to floor it at every intersection speeding up.

    As the studies show, redlight cameras dramatically increase accidents.

  10. #160
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Abolish Traffic Enforcement Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Traffic control cameras and CCTV are GREAT ideas and should stay around. Don't want a ticket? Drive safer and slow down.

    The government could easily require GPS and cellular to new cars black boxes, for which every traffic violation, ie criminal charge, could be mailed to each person each month - such as:

    Following closer than 1 car length per 10 mph.
    Parking too close or too far from a curb.
    Stopping too close to a stop sign, cross walk or stop light.
    Driving BELOW the minimum speed limit - such as NOT leaving the highway and parking if rush hour traffic is slower than the legal minimum.
    Failing to signal when changing lanes, leaving a parking lot onto a street or entering your own driveway.
    Failing to maintain proper air pressure in your tires.
    Operating the vehicle if it is not meeting emission standards.
    Wandering out of your lane momentarily (that actually would be 3 criminal charges, 1 for not staying in you lane and 2 for not using the turn signal out and in)
    Changing lanes in front of another car not allowing at least 1 car length per 10 mph.
    Not buckling your seat belt before starting your car.

    If a person doesn't want tickets, they should comply with all traffic laws 100% of the time in your claim.

    It would not be that much a challenge or expense to also require such government monitoring and prosecution for traffic violations for bicycles too.

Page 16 of 47 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •