View Poll Results: Abolish Columbus Day, replace it with Bartolomé Day?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    46 51.69%
  • No

    43 48.31%
Page 57 of 58 FirstFirst ... 74755565758 LastLast
Results 561 to 570 of 573

Thread: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

  1. #561
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Acting like a juvenile when faced with a rigid and obtuse individual with a supriority complex can sometimes be the only course of action...
    Oh the lies, the lies. What ever will I do?
    But it is clear you are describing yourself.

    It wasn't murder but you were so rigid and obtuse your wouldn't admit it.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  2. #562
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,115

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Oh the lies, the lies. What ever will I do?
    Wrong. An Absurd claim!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  3. #563
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Wrong. An Absurd claim!
    Yes your claim is absurd, because you are wrong, as noted.
    Last edited by Excon; 10-23-13 at 10:01 PM.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  4. #564
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,115

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Yes you claim is absurd, because you are wrong, as noted.
    Consider yourself ignored...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #565
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Consider yourself ignored...
    More juvenility.
    Figures!

    What you are really saying is this ...
    Last edited by Excon; 10-23-13 at 10:08 PM.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  6. #566
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Oh the lies, the lies. What ever will I do?
    But it is clear you are describing yourself.

    It wasn't murder but you were so rigid and obtuse your wouldn't admit it.
    Regardless, what he did was terrible by any standards.

  7. #567
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    Go figure. Another juvenile response.
    And showing that you do not tell the truth.


    Wrong. She wasn't spot on.

    You either say what you mean or you don't.
    In this case, as she has been saying typically the same for a while, it is clear she meant it.
    So of course, you are wrong again.
    As far as captains go, he wasn't very good, that's why on one of his trips, his crew threatened mutiny. But go ahead and continue to sing his praises.

  8. #568
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Regardless, what he did was terrible by any standards.
    No it is not.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  9. #569
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    No it is not.
    Now don't be silly. Of course it is.

  10. #570
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    As far as captains go, he wasn't very good, that's why on one of his trips, his crew threatened mutiny. But go ahead and continue to sing his praises.
    iLOL


    I guess the crew didn't believe Ptolemy eh?

    Sorry. He handled it just fine, and it wasn't directly relatable to his person or skills as a Captain.
    It was because of the length of the voyage.
    So spare everybody your personal spin.
    Yeah sure. Not!


    October 10, 1492 – Near Mutiny

    Wednesday, October 10, proved to be the most dangerous day for Columbus. The grumblings and resentment among the sailors was growing and nearly resulted in a mutiny. In order to quell the rising discontent among the men, Columbus bargained with them. It has been reported by numerous scholars that Columbus offered his men a deal in which he stated that if after three days no land was sighted, he would turn back. He persuaded a few of the influential sailors and, with their aid, quelled the rebellion. Columbus’s journal does not paint quite the same picture historians have uncovered. His words seem to show that he was uncompromising in his actions and that the men withdrew from the mutiny solely because it was their duty to follow him on the quest. Either way, Columbus’s time appeared to be running short. He now had only a few days left in which to find the long-sought-after land of the Indies.


    Wednesday, 10 October 1492
    I held course to the WSW, running 7½ knots, and at times 9 knots, and for a while 5¼ knots. Between day and night I made 177 miles. I told the crew 132 miles, but they could stand it no longer. They grumbled and complained of the long voyage, and I reproached them for their lack of spirit, telling them that, for better or worse, they had to complete the enterprise on which the Catholic Sovereigns had sent them. I cheered them on as best I could, telling them of all the honors and rewards they were about to receive. I also told the men that it was useless to complain, for I had started out to find the Indies and would continue until I had accomplished that mission, with the help of Our Lord.
    Near Mutany, Columbus Voyage Timeline, Christopher Columbus, Social Studies, Glencoe





    Patrick J. Murphy and Ray W. Coye’s Mutiny and Its Bounty: Leadership Lessons from the Age of Discovery explores how great seafaring captains like Columbus and Magellan not only quelled mutinies but also built upon such incidents to strengthen their enterprises. Today’s organizational leaders have much to learn about leadership and tactics from these earlier masters. Learn more and read a short excerpt from the book below.

    [...]

    Mutinies were so natural in the Age of Discovery that they could be reliably expected to occur in just about any bold seafaring enterprise. They were a normal part of taking risks together in organized but uncertain settings. Leaders and members abided by an authority structure, but proximity during an enterprise made for a certain sense of equality. All leaders directly experienced mutiny. Great leaders knew how to respond effectively to mutiny, often through means so artful as to transform it into success. Because mutiny is a force, it ought to be possible ot leverage it in creative ways to serve a human enterprise. The culture of the Age of Discovery, especially in its early years, admitted these kinds of possibilities.



    Columbus’s first enterprise is an excellent illustration of how a leader can respond to subtle and underlying tension when it flashes into mutinous action. In fact, he incurred at least two mutinies during his first and most famous venture to the New World.



    Mutiny Profiles: Christopher Columbus | Yale Press Log
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

Page 57 of 58 FirstFirst ... 74755565758 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •