View Poll Results: Abolish Columbus Day, replace it with Bartolomé Day?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    46 51.69%
  • No

    43 48.31%
Page 49 of 58 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 573

Thread: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

  1. #481
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I even made a psychological assessment.


    Please send me your credentials so I can make a formal complaint.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  2. #482
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Not.
    You have no idea what he was actually charged with.
    I asked you before to support such an assertion and you failed.
    Are you going to do it this time?

    But as we know, he was cleared of the most serious charges.
    So obviously what he did was not illegal.
    Read the two first posts on the thread.

  3. #483
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Relate to?
    Not!
    It is about honoring the individual for their contributions to this country.
    What do you think he contributed that is of such significance?
    Christopher Columbus killed people. Martin Luther King did not. The choice is clear.

  4. #484
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Nope.
    MLK day was undeserved.

    Columbus day is deserved.
    Why is that?

    Columbus for what? What did he do to deserve glory? He found some land, tortured and killed people to rule it. His rule led literally to millions of people dead.

    MLK was a leader of the Civil Rights Movement that lead directly to ending Segragation and the Civil Rights Act of 1964. He helped literally millions of people.

    Sure sure sure... standards of the time. But what is better about finding some land than helping millions of people gain equal rights?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #485
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Why is that?

    Columbus for what? What did he do to deserve glory? He found some land, tortured and killed people to rule it. His rule led literally to millions of people dead.

    MLK was a leader of the Civil Rights Movement that lead directly to ending Segragation and the Civil Rights Act of 1964. He helped literally millions of people.

    Sure sure sure... standards of the time. But what is better about finding some land than helping millions of people gain equal rights?
    Exactly. Great post!

  6. #486
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Relate to?
    Not!
    It is about honoring the individual for their contributions to this country.
    What do you think he contributed that is of such significance?
    Columbus had literally NOTHING to do with the United States of America. He never even set foot here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  7. #487
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post


    Please send me your credentials so I can make a formal complaint.
    Since when does one need credentials to be correct? I am very good at psychology and the law. No credentials.

    Self represented twice in Court. Won both times... against attorneys. I very well could be wrong about you, as this is just an internet discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #488
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Relate to?
    Not!
    It is about honoring the individual for their contributions to this country.
    What do you think he contributed that is of such significance?
    He successfully fought for the rights of an entire race in a way that acknowledged the rights of all people to live in peace and pursue happiness, rather than the bloody revolutions that so often defines such struggles. It was admirable and, here's the important part, worthy of emulation. In other words he was an exemplary role model. What can we celebrate about enslaving and murdering an entire people that you would like to emulate? "Helping to bring Western Civilization to the Americas" is probably one answer, and the natives would probably disagree with how fantastically that worked out for them, but the problem is that, as cool as it sounds, you can only really use that fact in a chapter on history because there's not really much else you can actually do with it. If a kid says, "I'm going to grow up to be just like Christopher Columbus!" and follows through with that it probably means he's going to be found guilty for crimes against humanity when he grows up.

  9. #489
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Excon. How many posts do you make without a major negative in it? Nope! Not! Wrong! No!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  10. #490
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Excon. How many posts do you make without a major negative in it? Nope! Not! Wrong! No!
    None! Zilch, nada, nil.

Page 49 of 58 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •