View Poll Results: Abolish Columbus Day, replace it with Bartolomé Day?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    46 51.69%
  • No

    43 48.31%
Page 46 of 58 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 573

Thread: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

  1. #451
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Well, I won't pretend to know how you were eventually able to establish your age, but I'm going to guess it wasn't due to your seeming inability to respond without a steady stream of taunts and insults.
    You are being unfair in your assessment, as those were responses to the same or a continuation thereof.
    That is all we need to know.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  2. #452
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Maybe he is not speaking about your biological age...ever think of that? Nope...
    I see you are showing your juvenility again. Go figure.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  3. #453
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:37 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,311

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    I see you are showing your juvenility again. Go figure.
    That is not juvenile... it is perceptive. You can't tell the difference. Go figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  4. #454
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:39 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,869
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Interesting. I didn't know he was quite that horrible. As for the holiday, I don't have any attachment to Columbus and wouldn't care if we did away with Columbus Day as such. I'd like to keep that day a federal holiday, though.

    I'm not crazy about the idea of Bartolome day, although it sounds like he was a great guy. I think naming a federal holiday after an established saint could pose some issues.

    How about a more generic Pioneer's Day?
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  5. #455
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    You have yet to show that it was unwarranted and/or that it was murder.
    And back then it was obviously allowed and therefore not wrong.





    Wtf?
    We were speaking in terms of what is legal and illegal.
    Not morals and ethics (which are personal) as ChrisL is now attempting.


    Another ridiculous comment, from the guy who said he wasn't arguing the legality of it.

    Yes murders have been around since time immemorial, just as legal killing has.
    What Columbus did was legal.
    Learn to distinguish between the two.
    Look, if you can't tell the difference between right and wrong without "the law" telling you, then that is just sad.

  6. #456
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    Interesting. I didn't know he was quite that horrible. As for the holiday, I don't have any attachment to Columbus and wouldn't care if we did away with Columbus Day as such. I'd like to keep that day a federal holiday, though.

    I'm not crazy about the idea of Bartolome day, although it sounds like he was a great guy. I think naming a federal holiday after an established saint could pose some issues.

    How about a more generic Pioneer's Day?
    Sounds like a great name to me.

  7. #457
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    That is not juvenile... it is perceptive. You can't tell the difference. Go figure.
    No, it is juvenile.
    Just as most of your other attempts to criticize were.
    And your problem that you don't know the difference.


    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Look, if you can't tell the difference between right and wrong without "the law" telling you, then that is just sad.
    You look.
    It wasn't wrong for him to do.

    Nor is there a Universal morality.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  8. #458
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Nor is there a Universal morality.
    Yes, there pretty much is.

  9. #459
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Yes, there pretty much is.
    Wrong!
    Or in other words, prove it.

    What is right and wrong is subjective. Always has been.

    Some folk are against the death penalty, others are not.
    Do I need to go on?
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  10. #460
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,780

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    How about we eliminate Columbus Day as a holiday and elevate Veteran's Day from a similar type holiday to status of one of the major holidays (similar to Memorial Day, etc.)?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 46 of 58 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •