View Poll Results: Abolish Columbus Day, replace it with Bartolomé Day?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    46 51.69%
  • No

    43 48.31%
Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 573

Thread: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

  1. #311
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    One reason he was released was becuase he gave them the gold
    Another was because of his personal champion... the Queen.
    And what he was also guilty of was his treatment of European colonists...
    Wrong.
    But if you think you are right, please show the decree/decision issued.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Under today's laws it would be murder. Just because those laws were not written yet does not mean it was not murder. Only an uneducated tool would think otherwise.
    Under today's laws?
    He was operating under his days laws.
    It wasn't murder.

    Only an uneducated tool would judge him by today's standards.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  2. #312
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    One reason he was released was becuase he gave them the gold
    Another was because of his personal champion... the Queen.
    And what he was also guilty of was his treatment of European colonists...
    True. He was actually quite the manipulator, when you think about it.

    He refused to remove his chains on the entire trip back to Spain in spite of the Captain explicitly offering to allow him to do so (it's not like he could really 'escape' from a ship in the middle of the ocean, after all ), just because he wanted to looked as broken and pathetic as possible when he eventually got his an audience with the queen. He also wrote a drawn out hyper-religious letter begging for forgiveness just because he knew how devout Queen Isabella happened to be.

    The guy was basically a world class suck-up. lol

  3. #313
    User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    12-17-15 @ 12:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    82

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    There have to be x number of holidays in the year, and they have to be distributed pretty evenly, or at least that's what an HR person would tell you. Columbus is a fair enough choice because it is a nice opportunity to give the kids a historical lesson about early American history, just like President's day and Thanksgiving, and to most people, it's not all that controversial.

  4. #314
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    We should abolish it and not replace it with anything. Geez we have to many holidays as it is and they continue to add them. In another 50 years our government employees and banks will only work half the year /sarcasm

  5. #315
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt E View Post
    There have to be x number of holidays in the year, and they have to be distributed pretty evenly, or at least that's what an HR person would tell you. Columbus is a fair enough choice because it is a nice opportunity to give the kids a historical lesson about early American history, just like President's day and Thanksgiving, and to most people, it's not all that controversial.
    The real history or the made-up happy-happy joy-joy stuff? Personally, I'm outraged that I was lied to throughout school about Thanksgiving and Columbus.

  6. #316
    User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    12-17-15 @ 12:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    82

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    The real history or the made-up happy-happy joy-joy stuff? Personally, I'm outraged that I was lied to throughout school about Thanksgiving and Columbus.
    The made up stuff. It makes people proud to be an american, and it makes the kids pay a little bit more attention in school. Sure, Columbus was a genocidal maniac, but it doesn't really matter for most people. There are bigger issues to worry about.

  7. #317
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt E View Post
    The made up stuff. It makes people proud to be an american, and it makes the kids pay a little bit more attention in school. Sure, Columbus was a genocidal maniac, but it doesn't really matter for most people. There are bigger issues to worry about.
    What are you kidding? The bloody violence would make them pay attention more than the sweet lies. That is nothing but propaganda. Teaching fake history so that people are misinformed is not doing anyone a favor, except maybe the "subject" of the lesson.

  8. #318
    User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    12-17-15 @ 12:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    82

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    What are you kidding? The bloody violence would make them pay attention more than the sweet lies. That is nothing but propaganda. Teaching fake history so that people are misinformed is not doing anyone a favor, except maybe the "subject" of the lesson.
    We don't teach children violence, though. I'm not saying that's a good thing, but we don't. Not until they're holder. (And I'm distinguishing "violence" from "wars," because history is oriented around wars, but there aren't all the gruesome details.

    Of course it's propaganda. What do you think all that stuff on TV is?

  9. #319
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Only an uneducated tool would judge him by today's standards.
    I am done with your ridiculousness... think what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  10. #320
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: Should we abolish Columbus Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    True. He was actually quite the manipulator, when you think about it.

    He refused to remove his chains on the entire trip back to Spain in spite of the Captain explicitly offering to allow him to do so (it's not like he could really 'escape' from a ship in the middle of the ocean, after all ), just because he wanted to looked as broken and pathetic as possible when he eventually got his an audience with the queen. He also wrote a drawn out hyper-religious letter begging for forgiveness just because he knew how devout Queen Isabella happened to be.

    The guy was basically a world class suck-up. lol
    Convince Excon of that now... good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •