View Poll Results: What opinion is most out of touch with reality?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • R-Global Warming is not man made

    9 21.43%
  • L-Global Warming is 100% man made

    2 4.76%
  • R-Abortion kills a human

    2 4.76%
  • L-Unborn human rights are trumped by a woman's right to choose

    5 11.90%
  • R-Lower taxation equals economic freedom and greater equality in opportunity

    4 9.52%
  • L-Higher taxation for certain tax brackets is fair because it helps the poor

    6 14.29%
  • R-Immigration is a good thing, but those that broke the law should not be rewarded

    1 2.38%
  • L-Immigration laws should not be enforced

    5 11.90%
  • R-Religious freedom is absolute (i.e. traditional marriage, creationism, young Earth)

    6 14.29%
  • L-Secular values trump religious freedom (i.e. gay marriage, evolution, big bang)

    2 4.76%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 71

Thread: Political ideal that is most out of touch with reality

  1. #41
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,692
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Political ideal that is most out of touch with reality

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJack View Post
    Whoa. Are you extreme right or what? You state the left's "issues" incorrectly, for the purpose of making them appear as wacko as the right's.

    Examples:
    The left does NOT maintain that global warming is 100% caused by man.
    Some do: "Climate change is the single biggest environmental and humanitarian crisis of our time. The Earth's atmosphere is overloaded with heat-trapping carbon dioxide, which threatens large-scale disruptions in climate with disastrous consequences. We must act now to spur the adoption of cleaner energy sources at home and abroad."

    Global Warming Facts, Causes and Effects of Climate Change | NRDC

    The unborn do not have "human rights" under the LAW; therefore, rights that don't exist cannot be trumped by anything. (Rights come into existence at the point where the fetus can live outside the womb...personhood. Even the Republican state of Mississippi or Alabama refused to pass a "personhood" law applying to the unborn.)
    Natural rights exist outside the law. Just because the law allows them to be violated does not mean they are not being violated.

    The left does not maintain that higher taxes for those who make more is fair because it helps the poor. The left maintains that a progressive tax is fair because it's just FAIR (5% to someone with no expendable income means a lot more than 5% to someone with an expendable income of 90% of what they bring in). It is the country that has enabled the person to make the income; therefore, it is fair that they give a larger percentage of their income. They also maintain that it makes for a healthier economy, which history will back up. In other words, it is not true that giving Romney more $ to put in his Swiss bank account will make the American economy stronger and increase jobs. It WILL, however help the economy for poor and middle class people to have more expendable income, since they will SPEND that money on services and products, stimulating the economy and increasing JOBS.
    Your first and last sentence contradict.

    It is not the left's position that secular values trumps religious freedom. Gay marriage of other people has nothing to do with your religious freedom.
    But that's not true. There have been two very public cases of people being told they cannot exercise their religious freedom by not participating in gay marriage/union ceremonies. They have since been sued for maintaining their rights. Sued by the government. Gay marriage is 100% about religious freedom.

    Evolution is science based; we want our citizens to be educated and knowledgeable in science and math. But you are free to believe in whatever you choose, since you have religious freedom.
    With the exception that if you don't espouse the secular/scientific view the government won't give them a diploma.

    [qoute]Our government is free from religious influence, since it is a CIVIL government.[/quote]

    Absolutely false. You cannot be religious and live your professional life outside of that religion. So anyone, whether it is a low level government employee to the President, will have religious influences in their process. Our government is not free from religious influence. Our people are supposed to be free from religious persecution, though. That changed in the last year.

    It does not interfere with anyone's right to believe and worship as they choose. However, a person's religious beliefs are not allowed to interfere with the civil government or others' beliefs. Law is civil. If we mix religion with it, should it be...muslim? Or Jewish? Or do you mean YOUR religion? This is why the country was set up initially to be secular but not interfere with religious beliefs. That is the Democratic Party Platform, I believe.
    Part of the reason I say no government should regulate marriage is because you can't do it without forcing some or all religions and their patrons to recognize marriages that do not meet their beliefs.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  2. #42
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,692
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Political ideal that is most out of touch with reality

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    I think some of your poll choices are just not correct.

    FOr example - I know of no person on the left that thinks Global Warming/climate change is 100% man made. They think in varying degrees how much manmade enters into the picture. That is a huge difference.
    For example: CO2 - the major cause of global warming | Time for change

    Global warming is caused by the emission of greenhouse gases .
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  3. #43
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Political ideal that is most out of touch with reality

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    "major cause" <> "100% man made"
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #44
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,692
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Political ideal that is most out of touch with reality

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    "major cause" <> "100% man made"
    A distinction without a difference. They never once mention any other contributing factors.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  5. #45
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Political ideal that is most out of touch with reality

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    A distinction without a difference. They never once mention any other contributing factors.
    It doesn't mention man-made emissions of CO2 either

    In fact, the words "man made" do not appear in either of the quotes you posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #46
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Political ideal that is most out of touch with reality

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    So it is ok for secularism to be forced on religion, but not religion to be forced on secularism? Not that that's what is happening, but I want to see what your line of thinking is.
    Neither one. Secular society is the bedrock, religion is the river that flows over it. The bedrock will change slowly over time, but it will not crack under the river's force, neither will it suddenly explode and disrupt the river's flow.

    In other words, secular society is the foundation established by the Constitution, and religion is welcome to flow in any direction that does not bring it into conflict with secular society.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  7. #47
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Political ideal that is most out of touch with reality

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    that campaign bribes ... "contributions" = free speech
    If that had been an option, I would've been torn over which one to pick.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  8. #48
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Political ideal that is most out of touch with reality

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Rights are inherent and are only limited by other peoples' rights. Freedoms are not inherent and are limited by law.

    Now, we create laws to prevent one individual from violating another individual's/individuals' rights. But those laws are meant to preserve rights, not limit (whether or not they meet that goal is another story).

    Simple example. Right to life is inherent. No one can violate that right unless their right to life is being threatened. Freedom to participate in commerce is heavily regulated. While you can participate you can only participate as the government sees fit.
    I'm pretty sure that what you think of as a "freedom" most people consider "priviledge."
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Political ideal that is most out of touch with reality

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Some do: "Climate change is the single biggest environmental and humanitarian crisis of our time. The Earth's atmosphere is overloaded with heat-trapping carbon dioxide, which threatens large-scale disruptions in climate with disastrous consequences. We must act now to spur the adoption of cleaner energy sources at home and abroad."
    That does not say humans are 100% responsible for global warming.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #50
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,692
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Political ideal that is most out of touch with reality

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Neither one. Secular society is the bedrock, religion is the river that flows over it. The bedrock will change slowly over time, but it will not crack under the river's force, neither will it suddenly explode and disrupt the river's flow.

    In other words, secular society is the foundation established by the Constitution, and religion is welcome to flow in any direction that does not bring it into conflict with secular society.
    Uh...no. The Constitution did not establish a secular society. The Constitution recognized the right to believe as you wish with regards to religion.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •