View Poll Results: Where does the GOP have the least grasp on reality?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • This, the debt limit

    6 8.11%
  • Global Warming

    7 9.46%
  • Evolution

    10 13.51%
  • The Consequences of Gay Marriage

    15 20.27%
  • Trickle-Down Economics

    12 16.22%
  • Makers vs. Takers

    6 8.11%
  • Immigration

    2 2.70%
  • The Drug War

    7 9.46%
  • Voting Rights

    0 0%
  • Reproductive Rights

    9 12.16%
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 139

Thread: Where does the GOP have the least grasp on reality?

  1. #91
    Advisor aberrant85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Last Seen
    10-04-15 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    594

    Re: Where does the GOP have the least grasp on reality?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    No, it wasn't the point that I was trying to lead you to. It's only the point the you were able to reach before completely blowing your own argument.
    Well I'd like to hear your argument if you could get to it in your next post.
    "Obamacare delenda est"

  2. #92
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Where does the GOP have the least grasp on reality?

    Quote Originally Posted by aberrant85 View Post
    Well I'd like to hear your argument if you could get to it in your next post.
    I need the data requested for the demonstration.

    DEQ stands for Department of Environmental Quality. Emissions checks for vehicles are to enforce compliance of emissions standards. They are supposed to perform tests that measure vehicle emissions to ensure compliance. And yes, your state does have greenhouse gas standards different from Federal standards and has a program directed towards just those gases, so they are concerned with "global climate change" and the affect of vehicle emissions on it.

    No, you do not have to do the test in SF because of pollution in LA. Your pollution only affects SF area and globally.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  3. #93
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Where does the GOP have the least grasp on reality?

    The worst mistaken view by the right wing is the "makers vs takers" dichotomy. Reality simply doesn't work that way. We all make and we all take anyone who isn't making is trying to make. The idea that any significant number of people, given a choice, would prefer to live perpetually in the poorhouse and never attempt to move up, and lazily live on welfare, is nonsense. There may be a tiny handful who act like that, but they are statistically insignificant. Almost everyone strives to better themselves, and attributing failure to do so as indicative of poor character and malicious motives is just idiotic. That the right wing paints a large segment of the American people as lazy and selfish like that stifles any realistic discussion of the economy or of the social safety net. Eschewing this wholly unsupported "us vs them" mentality that the right harbors for its fellow Americans will substantially help us in reaching common ground. We cannot hope to address the problems facing the American people if we cannot even comprehend who and what the American people actually are.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  4. #94
    Advisor aberrant85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Last Seen
    10-04-15 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    594

    Re: Where does the GOP have the least grasp on reality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    The worst mistaken view by the right wing is the "makers vs takers" dichotomy. Reality simply doesn't work that way. We all make and we all take anyone who isn't making is trying to make. The idea that any significant number of people, given a choice, would prefer to live perpetually in the poorhouse and never attempt to move up, and lazily live on welfare, is nonsense. There may be a tiny handful who act like that, but they are statistically insignificant. Almost everyone strives to better themselves, and attributing failure to do so as indicative of poor character and malicious motives is just idiotic. That the right wing paints a large segment of the American people as lazy and selfish like that stifles any realistic discussion of the economy or of the social safety net. Eschewing this wholly unsupported "us vs them" mentality that the right harbors for its fellow Americans will substantially help us in reaching common ground. We cannot hope to address the problems facing the American people if we cannot even comprehend who and what the American people actually are.
    Yes, I also think that the concept is a concerted campaign to distract the middle class from what is really affecting their decline: income inequality with the very rich. By convincing Americans that poor people are consuming their tax dollars, they are able to ignore the fact that the very rich have managed to consolidate wealth and are paying relatively little in taxes. I see the phenomenon playing out against unions especially. People who no longer have pensions get angry when they hear about union members who do, and say "if I don't get one why should they?" Instead, they should stand up for unions receiving their benefits, because when they no longer do what hope is there for everyone else to ever regain these benefits?

    These rich will try to extinguish what meager benefits remain using the public's own directed indignation, and will line their pockets along the way. I have to say it's an amazing sort of psychological jujitsu, so maybe "makers vs. takers" should not be on this list as it is a sort of Machiavellian calculation instead of just being out of touch.
    "Obamacare delenda est"

  5. #95
    Advisor aberrant85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Last Seen
    10-04-15 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    594

    Re: Where does the GOP have the least grasp on reality?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    I need the data requested for the demonstration.

    DEQ stands for Department of Environmental Quality. Emissions checks for vehicles are to enforce compliance of emissions standards. They are supposed to perform tests that measure vehicle emissions to ensure compliance. And yes, your state does have greenhouse gas standards different from Federal standards and has a program directed towards just those gases, so they are concerned with "global climate change" and the affect of vehicle emissions on it.

    No, you do not have to do the test in SF because of pollution in LA. Your pollution only affects SF area and globally.
    I'm sorry I can't provide the data you need but I would like to hear where you're going, so if I could ask you to assume the data points needed for your argument I will accept that.
    "Obamacare delenda est"

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Where does the GOP have the least grasp on reality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    The worst mistaken view by the right wing is the "makers vs takers" dichotomy. Reality simply doesn't work that way. We all make and we all take anyone who isn't making is trying to make. The idea that any significant number of people, given a choice, would prefer to live perpetually in the poorhouse and never attempt to move up, and lazily live on welfare, is nonsense. There may be a tiny handful who act like that, but they are statistically insignificant. Almost everyone strives to better themselves, and attributing failure to do so as indicative of poor character and malicious motives is just idiotic. That the right wing paints a large segment of the American people as lazy and selfish like that stifles any realistic discussion of the economy or of the social safety net. Eschewing this wholly unsupported "us vs them" mentality that the right harbors for its fellow Americans will substantially help us in reaching common ground. We cannot hope to address the problems facing the American people if we cannot even comprehend who and what the American people actually are.
    And all of the takers liked.

  7. #97
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Where does the GOP have the least grasp on reality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    And all of the takers liked.
    You're a taker. Just like everyone else. Stow the misplaced egotism and face reality, and this country will be a much better place.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Where does the GOP have the least grasp on reality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    You're a taker. Just like everyone else. Stow the misplaced egotism and face reality, and this country will be a much better place.
    Let's see, in addition to earning enough to take care of my family I also pay enough in taxes to support one other family. So explain to me what you mean by taker.

  9. #99
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Where does the GOP have the least grasp on reality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Let's see, in addition to earning enough to take care of my family I also pay enough in taxes to support one other family. So explain to me what you mean by taker.
    You benefit from everyone else's hard work. You benefit from the collective effort. You benefit from centralized effort. Just like everyone else. Just because your job pays more than a sandwich maker at Subway doesn't change the fact that we all take and we all make. Every action we take is built upon the collective efforts of thousands of people. Everyone is part of the chain.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  10. #100
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,111
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Where does the GOP have the least grasp on reality?

    Some of the things the Republicans are doing they know full well the consequences of. For example they know what they're doing re: trying to disenfranchise people but they're doing it anyway of malice. Same thing with the debt limit. They hate Obama so much that they'd sacrifice the solvency of this nation's finances in order to end it.

    But I voted for reproductive rights because I really think they don't realize that it's none of their goddamn business. They're too religiously inclined.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •