View Poll Results: Does not giving the president everything he wants constitute government closure?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the government should be shut down if Obama doesn't get 100% what he wants

    2 8.70%
  • No, only what Congress will not fund should be shut down

    14 60.87%
  • IDK/Other

    7 30.43%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 81

Thread: Does refusing to give Obama anything he wants constitute closing down the government?

  1. #31
    Educator falcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North East Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    08-10-17 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    926

    Re: Does refusing to give Obama anything he wants constitute closing down the governm

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    And in your scenario the "clean CR" how is that a compromise?

    And the compromise that the Republicans are asking for is good for someone else, THE AMERICAN PEOPLE!
    You are just making an assumption with that. You do not know that for a fact, no one right now knows how this compromise will affect the American people in the future. You claiming to know so is really either just ignorance or conceitedness. This is especially true on a matter like health care reform where trends have shown far more successful required-purchase or single-payer systems seen in states like Massachusetts and countries in Europe.
    I traveled with Ivanka
    the way I normally do
    How was I to know
    She was with the Russians too? - Poetics by TurtleDude

  2. #32
    Educator falcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North East Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    08-10-17 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    926

    Re: Does refusing to give Obama anything he wants constitute closing down the governm

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    You know, I love clean bills. I really do. I would accept a clean bill.

    There is only one problem. NEITHER side offers "clean bills".

    Awhile ago, and I can't remember exactly which one, but Democrats refused to let a defense spending bill pass without the riders that had absolutely nothing to do with the defense bill. And that is government spending on our military. Our very safety. Yet Democrats didn't care. Guess what? They got those riders and the defense bill passed due to republicans caving in. Funny how the democrats would compromise our very safety of a defense spending bill and yet when it comes to this government shutdown the democrats can't cave in on something that will ultimately not affect the very thing they are trying to protect?
    I agree and understand, however this is an entirely different situation.

    Their attempt at concessions has resulted in a government shutdown and has a debt crisis looming in our near future. What is happening is an endangering and weakening our country, not just blocking legislation just for a few riders in a bill.
    I traveled with Ivanka
    the way I normally do
    How was I to know
    She was with the Russians too? - Poetics by TurtleDude

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,346

    Re: Does refusing to give Obama anything he wants constitute closing down the governm

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Republicans offered to vote for all government operations except Obamacare, exercising the perogatives of Congress in the Constitution. In response, the Democrats in the Senate on Obama's urging shut down the entire government. The media reports it that Republicans shut down the entire government by not giving Obama what he wants.

    The same is arising on the debt ceiling. Unless Republicans do everything and anything Obama wants, Senate Democrats will default the government. The media reports this as Republicans' fault because it is presented as a truism that refusing any amount of money Obama wants is per se shutting down the entire government.

    Do you agree that refusing to give Obama any and all money he wants constitutes shutting down government entirely?
    The Republicans did get everything they wanted in the CR but that was not enough. They had to violate the Constitution by demanding a law be repealed. That is not part of their job as "the peoples purse". They might as well have asked for Obama's resignation, what they did is equally unconstitutional. Of course you would still blame Obama for not resigning because you obviously have no respect for our form of Govt. Which begs the question "Why do we care what you think? Why don't you just leave?"
    Last edited by iguanaman; 10-08-13 at 08:52 PM.

  4. #34
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Does refusing to give Obama anything he wants constitute closing down the governm

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    The Republicans did get everything they wanted in the CR but that was not enough. They had to violate the Constitution by demanding a law be repealed. That is not part of their job as "the peoples purse".
    There was no demand for repeal in the CR, so what was unconstitutional?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  5. #35
    Advisor plutonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    546

    Re: Does refusing to give Obama anything he wants constitute closing down the governm

    Do you agree that refusing to give Obama any and all money he wants constitutes shutting down government entirely?


    Obama and the demos agreed to the republicans amount for the cr .these are repub numbers for cr not dems .we did not get the amount we wanted... you are wrong in your statement this is a simple fact!!not a lie or spin....why do you people keep looking that main fact over?????

  6. #36
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Does refusing to give Obama anything he wants constitute closing down the governm

    Quote Originally Posted by falcata View Post
    I agree and understand, however this is an entirely different situation.

    Their attempt at concessions has resulted in a government shutdown and has a debt crisis looming in our near future. What is happening is an endangering and weakening our country, not just blocking legislation just for a few riders in a bill.
    Actually I consider it the same. Both are a danger to our country. One is economical, the other is physical safety. Both are equally important.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #37
    Educator falcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North East Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    08-10-17 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    926

    Re: Does refusing to give Obama anything he wants constitute closing down the governm

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Actually I consider it the same. Both are a danger to our country. One is economical, the other is physical safety. Both are equally important.
    Was this defense spending bill a pressing matter that was held past last minute though? Because unless it specifically was I'm afraid it has very little parallel with this current situation.
    I traveled with Ivanka
    the way I normally do
    How was I to know
    She was with the Russians too? - Poetics by TurtleDude

  8. #38
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Does refusing to give Obama anything he wants constitute closing down the governm

    Quote Originally Posted by falcata View Post
    Was this defense spending bill a pressing matter that was held past last minute though? Because unless it specifically was I'm afraid it has very little parallel with this current situation.
    The Senate has had the Defense Appropriation bill sent by the House for some time but has refused to bring it up...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  9. #39
    Educator falcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North East Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    08-10-17 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    926

    Re: Does refusing to give Obama anything he wants constitute closing down the governm

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    The Senate has had the Defense Appropriation bill sent by the House for some time but has refused to bring it up...
    I'm unsure of whether we are talking about the same bill. The one Kal'Stang was referencing I believe he said was a while ago.
    I traveled with Ivanka
    the way I normally do
    How was I to know
    She was with the Russians too? - Poetics by TurtleDude

  10. #40
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Does refusing to give Obama anything he wants constitute closing down the governm

    Quote Originally Posted by falcata View Post
    I'm unsure of whether we are talking about the same bill. The one Kal'Stang was referencing I believe he said was a while ago.
    Yes, it was sent to the Senate several months ago...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •