View Poll Results: Does not giving the president everything he wants constitute government closure?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the government should be shut down if Obama doesn't get 100% what he wants

    2 8.70%
  • No, only what Congress will not fund should be shut down

    14 60.87%
  • IDK/Other

    7 30.43%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 81

Thread: Does refusing to give Obama anything he wants constitute closing down the government?

  1. #11
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,762

    Re: Does refusing to give Obama anything he wants constitute closing down the governm

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    I'm not even sure what Democrats are even arguing for at this point. It looks like they just recognize that they have a very complicit media and have decided to shut down the government because that complicit media will just blame Republicans.
    I believe a "clean CR" with ZERO extraneous laws attached as policy riders and poison pills, the Repub House version of a filibuster.
    Then we can have a "conversation".

  2. #12
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Does refusing to give Obama anything he wants constitute closing down the governm

    This is Obama's idea of negotiation:

    Readout of the President’s Call to House Speaker John Boehner
    Late this morning, the President telephoned Speaker John Boehner from the Oval Office and repeated what he told him when they met at the White House last week: the President is willing to negotiate with Republicans -- after the threat of government shutdown and default have been removed – over policies that Republicans think would strengthen the country. The President also repeated his willingness to negotiate on priorities that he has identified including policies that expand economic opportunity, support private sector job creation, enhance the competitiveness of American businesses, strengthen the Affordable Care Act and continue to reduce the nation’s deficit.

    The President urged the Speaker to hold a vote in the House of Representatives on the Senate-passed measure that would re-open the federal government immediately. Citing the Senate’s intention to pass a clean, yearlong extension of the debt limit this week, the President also pressed the Speaker to allow a timely up-or-down vote in the House to raise the debt limit with no ideological strings attached. He noted that only Congress has the authority to raise the debt limit and failure to do so would have grave consequences for middle class families and the American economy as a whole.

    Readout of the President
    That's straight from the horse's mouth. Give me everything I want and I triple dog promise I'll negotiate with you. But look at what he promises to negotiate. Like promising to negotiate ways to strengthen the Affordable Care Act. Yeah, right, the opposite of what we want.

    Screw this president and screw the dem senate, house members hold the line!

  3. #13
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Does refusing to give Obama anything he wants constitute closing down the governm

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Republicans offered to vote for all government operations except Obamacare, exercising the perogatives of Congress in the Constitution. In response, the Democrats in the Senate on Obama's urging shut down the entire government. The media reports it that Republicans shut down the entire government by not giving Obama what he wants.

    The same is arising on the debt ceiling. Unless Republicans do everything and anything Obama wants, Senate Democrats will default the government. The media reports this as Republicans' fault because it is presented as a truism that refusing any amount of money Obama wants is per se shutting down the entire government.

    Do you agree that refusing to give Obama any and all money he wants constitutes shutting down government entirely?
    Yeah Obama criticized the Republicans before the shutdown by saying (paraphrasing) "They are gonna shutdown the government just because they don't get everything they want on this one issue?" The problem Mr. Obama, is that is the EXACT thing you did!
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  4. #14
    Educator falcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North East Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    08-10-17 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    926

    Re: Does refusing to give Obama anything he wants constitute closing down the governm

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Yeah Obama criticized the Republicans before the shutdown by saying (paraphrasing) "They are gonna shutdown the government just because they don't get everything they want on this one issue?" The problem Mr. Obama, is that is the EXACT thing you did!
    Except it's not because Obama is not the one that funds the government!
    I traveled with Ivanka
    the way I normally do
    How was I to know
    She was with the Russians too? - Poetics by TurtleDude

  5. #15
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Does refusing to give Obama anything he wants constitute closing down the governm

    Quote Originally Posted by falcata View Post
    Except it's not because Obama is not the one that funds the government!
    And who do you think is calling the shots for Senate Democrats?
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  6. #16
    Educator falcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North East Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    08-10-17 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    926

    Re: Does refusing to give Obama anything he wants constitute closing down the governm

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    And who do you think is calling the shots for Senate Democrats?
    That's not my point.

    What concessions are the democrats asking for? None, it is purely one sided bargaining from the Republicans. You cannot call for a compromise when there is only one side trying to gain anything from this situation. A real compromise would be if the spending bill without the republicans demands went through and was passed. This won't happen though because Boehner and some congressional republicans wont put it up for a vote.

    What republicans are asking for is not a compromise right now, it is a concession for absolutely nothing in return. It is overwhelmingly the Republicans fault this shutdown is still occurring right now.
    I traveled with Ivanka
    the way I normally do
    How was I to know
    She was with the Russians too? - Poetics by TurtleDude

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: Does refusing to give Obama anything he wants constitute closing down the governm

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    I believe a "clean CR" with ZERO extraneous laws attached as policy riders and poison pills, the Repub House version of a filibuster.
    Then we can have a "conversation".
    So the government is shutdown because DEMOCRATS want REPUBLICANS to fund a bill DEMOCRATS are currently blocking?

    C'mon, now. At what point do we cross the line to partisan stupidity?
    Last edited by Dapper Andy; 10-08-13 at 03:18 PM.

  8. #18
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Does refusing to give Obama anything he wants constitute closing down the governm

    Quote Originally Posted by falcata View Post
    That's not my point.

    What concessions are the democrats asking for? None, it is purely one sided bargaining from the Republicans. You cannot call for a compromise when there is only one side trying to gain anything from this situation. A real compromise would be if the spending bill without the republicans demands went through and was passed. This won't happen though because Boehner and some congressional republicans wont put it up for a vote.

    What republicans are asking for is not a compromise right now, it is a concession for absolutely nothing in return. It is overwhelmingly the Republicans fault this shutdown is still occurring right now.
    And in your scenario the "clean CR" how is that a compromise?

    And the compromise that the Republicans are asking for is good for someone else, THE AMERICAN PEOPLE!
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  9. #19
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,965

    Re: Does refusing to give Obama anything he wants constitute closing down the governm

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    This is Obama's idea of negotiation:

    That's straight from the horse's mouth. Give me everything I want and I triple dog promise I'll negotiate with you. But look at what he promises to negotiate. Like promising to negotiate ways to strengthen the Affordable Care Act. Yeah, right, the opposite of what we want.

    Screw this president and screw the dem senate, house members hold the line!


    I'm sorry, are you really mad because the President said he'll negotiate with Congress once Congress quits acting like a children and does the things it is REQUIRED to do?

    The partisanship is thick.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Does refusing to give Obama anything he wants constitute closing down the governm

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Republicans offered to vote for all government operations except Obamacare, exercising the perogatives of Congress in the Constitution. In response, the Democrats in the Senate on Obama's urging shut down the entire government. The media reports it that Republicans shut down the entire government by not giving Obama what he wants.

    The same is arising on the debt ceiling. Unless Republicans do everything and anything Obama wants, Senate Democrats will default the government. The media reports this as Republicans' fault because it is presented as a truism that refusing any amount of money Obama wants is per se shutting down the entire government.

    Do you agree that refusing to give Obama any and all money he wants constitutes shutting down government entirely?
    Jesus H. Christ. I'm consistently amazed at the almost demented delusion some of my fellow Republican/Conservative/Libertarian/InsertTitle are showing in this crisis. You do not get to shut down the government and threaten its proper functioning because a piece of legislation passed that you do not like. Sure you can but it is a terrible precedent to set and you deserve every electoral knock you get.

    We failed to block it in 2010, we failed to win control of the Senate that November, we lost the Presidential election, we lost the legal battle before the Supreme Court, and all of our efforts to defund it have failed. The solution? Literally bring down the government.

    Refusing to 'give' Obama his money? Good grief. This is allocations for legislation already passed and budgets already approved. Nothing that will happen in this 'battle' will lead to the ACA being altered, delayed, or repealed.

    I'm a GOP donor, voter, and volunteer. This is a travesty.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •