View Poll Results: Should Obama butt in changing the name of the Washington Redskins?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    4 10.00%
  • No

    36 90.00%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 134

Thread: Should Obama butt in changing the name of the Washington Redskins?

  1. #51
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    43,205

    Re: Should Obama butt in changing the name of the Washington Redskins?

    This amuses me greatly. Navy Pride (not a liberal) makes the thread, APACHERAT (not a liberal), predictably backs him up, but it's the "liberals" who are "making a big deal out of it." I don't see anyone making a big deal out of it except for these two.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  2. #52
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,786

    Re: Should Obama butt in changing the name of the Washington Redskins?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    This amuses me greatly. Navy Pride (not a liberal) makes the thread, APACHERAT (not a liberal), predictably backs him up, but it's the "liberals" who are "making a big deal out of it." I don't see anyone making a big deal out of it except for these two.
    No, they're just reacting to those outside of DP who are making a big deal out of it. That's what DP is... a place to discuss issues of the day.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #53
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:37 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,595
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Obama butt in changing the name of the Washington Redskins?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I am thinking we have enough problems facing this country so should the President butt in?
    I hate doing this to you, since facts are your worst enemy, but you are, as always ,dead wrong. Here is the AP story: News from The Associated Press

    President Barack Obama says he would "think about changing" the Washington Redskins' name if he owned the football team as he waded into the controversy involving a word many consider offensive to Native Americans.
    Obama, in an interview with The Associated Press, said team names such as the Redskins offend "a sizable group of people." He said that while fans get attached to the names, nostalgia may not be a good enough reason to keep them in place.
    "I don't know whether our attachment to a particular name should override the real legitimate concerns that people have about these things," he said in the interview, which was conducted Friday at the White House.
    An avid sports fan who roots for his hometown Chicago Bears, Obama said he doesn't think Washington football fans are purposely trying to offend American Indians. "I don't want to detract from the wonderful Redskins fans that are here. They love their team and rightly so," he said.
    He did not "butt in", he responded to a question. If Obama does not answer a question, you would bitch about him ducking questions, when he answers questions, you accuse him of butting in.

    Further, he came down on the side of not taking a side in the issue, and looked at both sides of the issue. Damn him for a reasoned, measured response...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  4. #54
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Should Obama butt in changing the name of the Washington Redskins?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I am thinking we have enough problems facing this country so should the President butt in?
    What makes you believe that the President is not allowed to enjoy the Freedom of Speech?

    You clearly have a problem with Obama voicing his opinion. So tell me, why do you believe he should be denied his first amendment rights?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #55
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Should Obama butt in changing the name of the Washington Redskins?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    He did not "butt in", he responded to a question
    I'm tempted to make a mockery poll of "Should we strip the Presidential office of first amendment rights"
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  6. #56
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:37 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,595
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Obama butt in changing the name of the Washington Redskins?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    I'm tempted to make a mockery poll of "Should we strip the Presidential office of first amendment rights"
    Obama could cure cancer tomorrow and the poll would be "should Obama have delayed so long curing cancer?"
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  7. #57
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Should Obama butt in changing the name of the Washington Redskins?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    He's already involved himself in this. The one thing I really don't like about today's age is president's lowering themselves to late night talk show appearences and getting involved with stupid stuff like a NFL name.
    It can certainly be overdone, but I think a certain amount of it serves to humanize the Presidents. Appearing on them all the time would be unprofessional, but an occasional visit to Colbert Report or something like that, I don't have a problem with.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  8. #58
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,229

    Should Obama butt in changing the name of the Washington Redskins?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Redskin is a racial slur. The people who blame the "PC-tards" simply don't care that it's a racial slur.
    It has been used as a racial slur, and at times still is

    Just as Yankee has been used as an ethnic slur, an at time still is

    However, both words that CAN/HAVE been used as slurs also are used as the names of sports teams.

    Go up to a random person on the street and ask them to what you are referring when you use the word and you're far more likely to find people thinking you're speaking or a sports team than slurring a race or ethnic group. That's because words can have multiple meanings within society.

  9. #59
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Should Obama butt in changing the name of the Washington Redskins?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I am thinking we have enough problems facing this country so should the President butt in?
    Why the hell would he? Who gives a ****?

  10. #60
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,935
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Obama butt in changing the name of the Washington Redskins?

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    Yeah, Obama has already butted in with his opinion that the Redskins should change their names.

    I'm going to support the new name, the Washington Tea Party Animals.
    I can't wait to see the mascot. I'm hoping for disembodied teeth from the Cheshire cat but he wasn't at the party. Lets settle for the Mad Hatter, he's a natural tea partier.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •