View Poll Results: If prostitution were legal... would pimps be "necessary"?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    2 4.76%
  • No

    33 78.57%
  • Other

    7 16.67%
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
Results 141 to 150 of 150

Thread: If prostitution were legal...

  1. #141
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,178

    Re: If prostitution were legal...

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    No, you are being willfully ignorant.


    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I said we should look at what worked and did not and go from there.
    Great. Legalization hasn't worked. Now let's go from there.

  2. #142
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: If prostitution were legal...

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post




    Great. Legalization hasn't worked. Now let's go from there.
    No, other countries regulations obviously didn't work. How can you think regulating it would make it more dangerous. Please explain.

  3. #143
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,057

    Re: If prostitution were legal...

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    Yes I can. And I have. You're simply choosing to ignore the evidence that is right in front of your face.

    Lots of people were persuaded by the very argument you're making. Hell, that used to be my position on prostitution too.

    But now actual data is coming in since a number of nations have legalized it in the past decade and it turns out that prediction is wrong. Legalization does almost nothing to reduce the occurrence of sex trafficking or abuse and actually appears to be making it worse.

    I'm sorry, Chris, but you can't just wave off the evidence because the conclusion doesn't fit your world view. The appropriate response is to try to understand WHY and adjust your opinions in light of new evidence, not to engage in willful ignorance and intellectual dishonesty.

    Human Trafficking Persists Despite Legality of Prostitution in Germany - SPIEGEL ONLINE

    http://www.lse.ac.uk/geographyAndEnv...us-REVISED.pdf

    German's legalized prostitution brought more exploitation than emancipation to women - National Human Rights | Examiner.com

    Study: Legalizing prostitution increases human trafficking | War of Ideas
    But... but... this is America! We're the country that wasn't founded on people trying to get it for cheap! We're the country that made music accessible without flat out giving it for free and our population decided not to steal it! We're the country where a burger will cost you $7 and pack of meat 4$ and somehow we've ended up fat. We're a nation that wasn't founded on the money of slave owners, pirates and bootleggers. We can definitely be trusted to ensure that legalized prostitution works out well.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #144
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,178

    Re: If prostitution were legal...

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    No, other countries regulations obviously didn't work. How can you think regulating it would make it more dangerous. Please explain.
    Chris. Read the damn articles. They explain it much better than I.

    To answer your question, sex traffickers either

    1) Don't follow the regulations
    2) Find loopholes to abuse the intent of the regulations

  5. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: If prostitution were legal...

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    Chris. Read the damn articles. They explain it much better than I.

    To answer your question, sex traffickers either

    1) Don't follow the regulations
    2) Find loopholes to abuse the intent of the regulations
    Yes, but legalizing it makes it more difficult for that to occur, when there are paper trials as opposed to how it is now with absolutely NO regulations whatsoever, and the women don't go to the police for help because of the fact that it's illegal, and they are frightened to go to jail.

    And I don't feel like reading any links right now. Maybe later.

  6. #146
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,178

    Re: If prostitution were legal...

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Yes, but legalizing it makes it more difficult for that to occur, when there are paper trials as opposed to how it is now with absolutely NO regulations whatsoever, and the women don't go to the police for help because of the fact that it's illegal, and they are frightened to go to jail.
    Well, look at it this way: we DO regulate it in the US. The regulation is "Don't do it". If everyone followed the law, we wouldn't have any sex trafficking at all. But that's the problem - some people don't follow the laws. If we legalize it and regulate it, we'll still have that problem - sex traffickers will continue to do what they do now and simply ignore the law/regulations.

    And according to what has happened in Germany, Denmark, and Sweden legalization actually appears to INCREASE the number of cases where the laws are violated and women are forced into prostitution against their will.


    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    And I don't feel like reading any links right now. Maybe later.
    Fair enough. I do suggest you read a bit on the topic when you have the time. Like I said, I used to be of the opinion that legalization it was the solution. But now I disagree.

  7. #147
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: If prostitution were legal...

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    Well, look at it this way: we DO regulate it in the US. The regulation is "Don't do it". If everyone followed the law, we wouldn't have any sex trafficking at all. But that's the problem - some people don't follow the laws. If we legalize it and regulate it, we'll still have that problem - sex traffickers will continue to do what they do now and simply ignore the law/regulations.
    Are you serious? Don't do it is not a regulation. We do NOT regulate it. Everyone does not follow the law quite obviously. They will be easier to track and catch.

    And according to what has happened in Germany, Denmark, and Sweden legalization actually appears to INCREASE the number of cases where the laws are violated and women are forced into prostitution against their will.
    How? Explain that to me please.




    Fair enough. I do suggest you read a bit on the topic when you have the time. Like I said, I used to be of the opinion that legalization it was the solution. But now I disagree.
    I've read plenty about it in the past. This isn't the first time I've argued about this.

  8. #148
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,178

    Re: If prostitution were legal...

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Are you serious? Don't do it is not a regulation. We do NOT regulate it. Everyone does not follow the law quite obviously. They will be easier to track and catch.
    As I said, how will they be easier to track and catch if the traffickers don't follow the regulations?


    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    How? Explain that to me please.
    The primary reason is economic. Legalization increases demand for prostitutes (because more men are willing to purchase prostitutes if they're not going to be arrested for doing so). It also increases supply (because more women are willing to work as prostitutes voluntarily if they're not going to be arrested for doing so). If there aren't enough women willing to prostitute voluntarily (the supply) to satisfy the number of men who want to purchase prostitutes (the demand), sex traffickers stand to make money by stepping in to make up that difference by forcing more women into prostitution.

    In the case of Germany and Denmark, it appears that legalization has produced a larger increase in demand for prostitution than supply for prostitution. So it gives sex traffickers an even bigger hole to fill (and money to be made) with forced prostitution. Does that make sense?

  9. #149
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: If prostitution were legal...

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post

    How? Explain that to me please.
    Imagine what would happen if we made the sale, purchase and consumption of heroin legal, but kept the manufacture of heroin illegal. The increase in demand would entice crooks to provide a supply. In the case of prostitution, legalizing it is like this while keeping the supply (the importation of women) illegal.

    Legalizing prostitution increases the demand for prostitutes, and if there isn't a sufficient supply organized crime will import it from other (poorer) nations.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: If prostitution were legal...

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    As I said, how will they be easier to track and catch if the traffickers don't follow the regulations?




    The primary reason is economic. Legalization increases demand for prostitutes (because more men are willing to purchase prostitutes if they're not going to be arrested for doing so). It also increases supply (because more women are willing to work as prostitutes voluntarily if they're not going to be arrested for doing so). If there aren't enough women willing to prostitute voluntarily (the supply) to satisfy the number of men who want to purchase prostitutes (the demand), sex traffickers stand to make money by stepping in to make up that difference by forcing more women into prostitution.

    In the case of Germany and Denmark, it appears that legalization has produced a larger increase in demand for prostitution than supply for prostitution. So it gives sex traffickers an even bigger hole to fill (and money to be made) with forced prostitution. Does that make sense?
    That's very interesting, but what about our immigration laws? Off topic, but there's another reason for cracking down on illegal immigration to add to my list.

    Also, I'm not talking about street prostitutes. I'm talking about places where people can go, such as brothels. I think it would be fairly easily regulated that way here in our country anyway. Plus, you do realize that all illegal immigrant sex workers would be classified as "trafficked" whether they were willing participants or not? There are some who are willing to come here to America and willingly prostitute themselves to get here too.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •