View Poll Results: If prostitution were legal... would pimps be "necessary"?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    2 4.76%
  • No

    33 78.57%
  • Other

    7 16.67%
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 150

Thread: If prostitution were legal...

  1. #121
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: If prostitution were legal...

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Considering the fact that their arguments against legalization really don't make much sense, I would say it's based upon moral grounds. Personally, I think it's a pretty sad life and way to make a living, but not a choice for me to make for someone else.
    I am not saying it is not sad. It is pretty ugly, and must be emotionally devastating. I just don't see it as immoral, as long as nobody is coerced or cheated.

    Prostitution will probably never disappear, but it may be - and should be - reduced substantially as the economic reasons to do it weaken on one hand, and puritan attitudes toward sex in the "general population" ease on the other.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: If prostitution were legal...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    I am not saying it is not sad. It is pretty ugly, and must be emotionally devastating. I just don't see it as immoral, as long as nobody is coerced or cheated.

    Prostitution will probably never disappear, but it may be - and should be - reduced substantially as the economic reasons to do it weaken on one hand, and puritan attitudes toward sex in the "general population" ease on the other.
    Well, morality is completely subjective. I just don't understand how anyone could argue that legalization and regulation would cause more problems. I also can't understand why people would want to continue down the same road when it obviously doesn't work. Let's try something new!

  3. #123
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: If prostitution were legal...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I can see it now: the Federal Buro of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, Explosives and Prostitution.
    Why not call it just the Federal Bureau of Celebration. Shorter, and sounds better for PR.

  4. #124
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: If prostitution were legal...

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well, morality is completely subjective.
    No, it is not. Otherwise you would not be able to identify "problems" and say that prohibitions "don't work". Problematic from what point of view? Don't work by what standard? You are applying a very objective measure: What does more harm to actual people, against their will? No?
    That's morality - the Golden Rule and all that jazz.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: If prostitution were legal...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    No, it is not. Otherwise you would not be able to identify "problems" and say that prohibitions "don't work". Problematic from what point of view? Don't work by what standard? You are applying a very objective measure: What does more harm to actual people, against their will? No?
    That's morality - the Golden Rule and all that jazz.
    I disagree. To some people, because of their upbringing or religious beliefs, sex outside of marriage IS immoral. Whereas if you don't hold such beliefs, it may not be.

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: If prostitution were legal...

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    1988?!?!?!?! I wonder who was in charge of the administration of the federal government at that time?
    Feds are feds

  7. #127
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: If prostitution were legal...

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I disagree. To some people, because of their upbringing or religious beliefs, sex outside of marriage IS immoral. Whereas if you don't hold such beliefs, it may not be.
    Sex outside marriage (when you are married) involves (in most cases) breaking a promise, violating a contract. Selling sex does not.

    No, I understand of course that a lot (if not most) people mean "religious and tribal taboos" when they say "morality".

    But that does not mean that real, objective morality does not exist. It is rooted in the very nature of human experience, and was formulated, probably independently, by Ancient Greeks, Indians and Chinese at least around the middle of the 1st millennium BC, in remarkably similar terms. "Do not do to others what you do not wish to be done to yourself". Nobody wishes to be coerced or defrauded, by definition.

  8. #128
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,151

    Re: If prostitution were legal...

    Pimps were never necessary. If it were legal, the entrepreneurs would only need security and/or a driver.

  9. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: If prostitution were legal...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    Sex outside marriage (when you are married) involves (in most cases) breaking a promise, violating a contract. Selling sex does not.

    No, I understand of course that a lot (if not most) people mean "religious and tribal taboos" when they say "morality".

    But that does not mean that real, objective morality does not exist. It is rooted in the very nature of human experience, and was formulated, probably independently, by Ancient Greeks, Indians and Chinese at least around the middle of the 1st millennium BC, in remarkably similar terms. "Do not do to others what you do not wish to be done to yourself". Nobody wishes to be coerced or defrauded, by definition.
    No I mean ANY kind of sex outside of a marriage, even premarital sex. I agree with your last paragraph though, but like I said not everyone feels that way. Some people feel that everyone ought to live by their own personal religious/moral codes.

  10. #130
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: If prostitution were legal...

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    No I mean ANY kind of sex outside of a marriage, even premarital sex.
    Yes, I know. Some people think that it's always a threesome: he, she and God :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Some people feel that everyone ought to live by their own personal religious/moral codes.
    Feeling - and trying to convince - is fine. When coercion begins, they violate the basic, "constitutional" moral law in favor of minor denominational or parochial regulations. (Every major religion does feature the Golden Rule prominently. Even the rules-obsessed Judaism. As Rabbi Hillel said in the 1st century BC, "That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary")

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •