View Poll Results: How Bad Could it Be?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dems cave in again, allowing the debt to be used as a political tool

    5 15.15%
  • Landslide election for one side in 2014

    8 24.24%
  • Republican rebellion forces Boehner down

    4 12.12%
  • House impeaches Obama

    4 12.12%
  • Economic slump

    9 27.27%
  • Recession

    12 36.36%
  • Depression

    18 54.55%
  • Civil War

    1 3.03%
  • World War

    0 0%
  • End of USA as we know it

    1 3.03%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 78

Thread: How Bad Could it Be? (Shutdown/Debt Limit)

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: How Bad Could it Be? (Shutdown/Debt Limit)

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    the way i understand it, we could go on short term by diverting money from other things to pay the most important bills. there are also a few treasury options that don't seem to be on firm legal footing. however, the biggest danger is perception; it's almost certain to lower our credit rating, which means more interest. if that happens, we will be in a situation where taxes will be increased. also, if our currency is in question, the globe starts looking for the next best option. this cannot be allowed to happen.
    But during the last squabble, S&P downgraded our credit...the interest rate dropped...the market slid ~500pts only to gain it back in a couple of weeks to go on to records...lending continued to ease...jobs continued to be created and the economy continued to rebound (per the Administration)...basically a great big nothing!
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: How Bad Could it Be? (Shutdown/Debt Limit)

    The world has no alternative to the dollar. There is no currency big enough to manage world trade. Elites are still buying dollars more than PMs. Most of our debt is to the Fed, Social Security and ourselves. Raising interest rates could happen, but revenue still exceeds debt interest payments by 8 to 1. It's not even close to default. That is so much obamahyperbole it's sick. The pain will be on the DOD, Medicare, social security, and all of that before the dictators chefs and golf outings!


    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    the way i understand it, we could go on short term by diverting money from other things to pay the most important bills. there are also a few treasury options that don't seem to be on firm legal footing. however, the biggest danger is perception; it's almost certain to lower our credit rating, which means more interest. if that happens, we will be in a situation where taxes will be increased. also, if our currency is in question, the globe starts looking for the next best option. this cannot be allowed to happen.

  3. #23
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,091

    Re: How Bad Could it Be? (Shutdown/Debt Limit)

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    The world has no alternative to the dollar. There is no currency big enough to manage world trade. Elites are still buying dollars more than PMs. Most of our debt is to the Fed, Social Security and ourselves. Raising interest rates could happen, but revenue still exceeds debt interest payments by 8 to 1. It's not even close to default. That is so much obamahyperbole it's sick. The pain will be on the DOD, Medicare, social security, and all of that before the dictators chefs and golf outings!
    if our currency looks insecure, other currencies start looking better and better. the renminbi is a long term contender.

    on the global stage, it's about keeping up appearances. people vote with their money, and so do nations. the entire first world is looking at this and is shaking its collective heads.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: How Bad Could it Be? (Shutdown/Debt Limit)

    Please take a look at the money supply of the renminbi or any of the world's currencies and let me know when you find one capable of handling the world's trade - even coming close? Then we should worry.


    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    if our currency looks insecure, other currencies start looking better and better. the renminbi is a long term contender.

    on the global stage, it's about keeping up appearances. people vote with their money, and so do nations. the entire first world is looking at this and is shaking its collective heads.

  5. #25
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,091

    Re: How Bad Could it Be? (Shutdown/Debt Limit)

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    Please take a look at the money supply of the renminbi or any of the world's currencies and let me know when you find one capable of handling the world's trade - even coming close? Then we should worry.
    here's a fairly exhaustive analysis of the potential default and what might happen :

    Absolutely everything you need to know about the debt ceiling

    there's no upside to this. we need to agree that we will not default under any circumstances.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: How Bad Could it Be? (Shutdown/Debt Limit)

    Sorry they want me to download an app to read their story so I couldn't, but any media presentation that suggests "default" is merely doing the lefts bidding and is not true to the facts. The facts are simple. Not borrowing more money does not mean default. It means the regime must choose what to spend 3 trillion on when it wants to spend 3.6 trillion. If the regime doesnt pay on its loans (default) then its on the regime and it's beloved dictator and no one else. The money is there to pay 80% or more of the bills. What bills it pays is up to the regime.


    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    here's a fairly exhaustive analysis of the potential default and what might happen :

    Absolutely everything you need to know about the debt ceiling

    there's no upside to this. we need to agree that we will not default under any circumstances.

  7. #27
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,091

    Re: How Bad Could it Be? (Shutdown/Debt Limit)

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    Sorry they want me to download an app to read their story so I couldn't, but any media presentation that suggests "default" is merely doing the lefts bidding and is not true to the facts. The facts are simple. Not borrowing more money does not mean default. It means the regime must choose what to spend 3 trillion on when it wants to spend 3.6 trillion. If the regime doesnt pay on its loans (default) then its on the regime and it's beloved dictator and no one else. The money is there to pay 80% or more of the bills. What bills it pays is up to the regime.
    you don't have to download an app to read the link. however, the "dictator" hyperbole indicates to me that this discussion has exactly zero chance of going anywhere.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: How Bad Could it Be? (Shutdown/Debt Limit)

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    you don't have to download an app to read the link. however, the "dictator" hyperbole indicates to me that this discussion has exactly zero chance of going anywhere.
    The loser deserves the label. If he were negotiable it wouldn't be prudent, if he followed the rule of law it wouldn't be prudent, and if he didn't live like a king while his people suffered it wouldn't be prudent. It is prudent for this loser in charge. I get you don't like the hyperbole and don't really care. This man deserves no respect and will not get an ounce from me. If we default you should blame him, and if you don't then you are nothing but a political hack. The choice is his and his alone. He has the money to pay our debts every day, and if he chooses not to pay them it's on him.

  9. #29
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,363

    Re: How Bad Could it Be? (Shutdown/Debt Limit)

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    This crisis is equivalent to all the other non crisis' called out by this failed regime. We take in $3 trillion or more in taxes and that wouldn't stop. That would continue to pay for 80% of the govts obligations. I personally think its fine to operate with 20% less and within our means for a while. It'd do the country good.
    The Treasury has stated that they cannot just pay bond holders. Payment is by computer program. Don't sugar coat this, we will default on our debt if the limit is not raised.
    The ramifications will be huge and the blame will all be on the House Republicans. They may be run out of town on a rail.

  10. #30
    Advisor Tothian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New Jersey, United States
    Last Seen
    06-10-17 @ 04:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    553

    Re: How Bad Could it Be? (Shutdown/Debt Limit)

    I'm not sure I understand the emphasis of the question. As in is it asking the "worst" stuff that could happen, or the "stuff" that could happen?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •