View Poll Results: Does Piecemeal Funding Reveal the Republicans to be Hypocrites?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 62.16%
  • No

    14 37.84%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 78

Thread: Does Piecemeal Funding Reveal the Republicans to be Hypocrites?

  1. #1
    Advisor aberrant85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Last Seen
    10-04-15 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    594

    Does Piecemeal Funding Reveal the Republicans to be Hypocrites?

    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/us...rnment.html?hp

    With all the rifts opening in the GOP, the one tenet the party stood united for was that the federal government was too big and spent too much money. Surely such a bloated monstrosity such as this could go without a few days of spending, so the House Republicans had no problem shutting down the government by refusing to pass a clean CR.

    Fox News even took to calling the shutdown a "slimdown." It's like a diet for the government! Isn't that cute?

    Now, however, after receiving near universal condemnation and blame for the situation, the House Republicans attempted to pass a series of piecemeal funding approvals for various popular, very visible programs.

    The party that pushed the last debt ceiling crisis that resulted in the Sequester that cut funding to nutrition programs for women and children, cancer research, national parks, the entire District of Columbia, and the VA, now wants to fully fund these and other programs and is calling the Democrats cruel for refusing to reinstate these vital government services.

    And now, faced with the negative press of having withheld paychecks from more than a million government workers, the House unanimously passed a bill to give full back pay to all furloughed employees.

    To wit: the party that HATES excessive government spending now cares deeply about the continuation of the good work our government does.

    The party that RAILS AGAINST WELFARE QUEENS will now pay more than a million people to not go to work and go home and watch TV.

    The one "plus" of a government shutdown, saving the government billions of dollars in wages, is now replaced by the country's largest temporary expansion of welfare.

    All in protest of a government program that pays for itself and shrinks the deficit.

    Has the party of "fiscal responsibility" completely revealed its underlying hypocrisy, unable to stomach the actual results of their most ardent beliefs?
    "Obamacare delenda est"

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Does Piecemeal Funding Reveal the Republicans to be Hypocrites?

    Yes, and merely adds to a LONG list of examples of such. Which is why the Tea Party has gained the traction it has and instilled the fear it has in the 'establishment GOP' who realize their hypocrisy is soon to be revealed openly.
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  3. #3
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Does Piecemeal Funding Reveal the Republicans to be Hypocrites?

    Unless the piecemeal funding is for Obamacare, the answer would be no.

  4. #4
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Does Piecemeal Funding Reveal the Republicans to be Hypocrites?

    But there could be an alternative strategy at work. Consider this supposition:

    All this ACA attention is merely a ruse to 'run the clock out' and get the CR closer to the debt ceiling. The Senate has already agreed to the spending levels in the CR AND the President has requested a budget for a year to prevent this never ending squabble. IF the House concedes ACA (which they realize(d) countenance is stupid on several levels), ties the CR to the DC vote AND proposes the CR to extend for 1 year the second tranche of sequester cuts will go into effect Jan 1 unaffected thereby reducing spending (nominally) which would comply with one desire of their electorate. This WOULD be a 'clean CR' which is what Reid/POTUS have been demanding AND a 1 year 'budget' that POTUS has been demanding.

    But I sincerely doubt the GOP is tactical enough to dream this up...but maybe
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  5. #5
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,257

    Re: Does Piecemeal Funding Reveal the Republicans to be Hypocrites?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Unless the piecemeal funding is for Obamacare, the answer would be no.
    Does the budget involved in the shutdown include ACA?

  6. #6
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Does Piecemeal Funding Reveal the Republicans to be Hypocrites?

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    Does the budget involved in the shutdown include ACA?
    We have no budget. We have been working on stop-gap legislation throughout the Obama Presidency.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:24 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,467

    Re: Does Piecemeal Funding Reveal the Republicans to be Hypocrites?

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    Does the budget involved in the shutdown include ACA?
    No, it doesn't. Which is why this entire ordeal is little more than a political ploy perpetrated by Republicans.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,938
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Does Piecemeal Funding Reveal the Republicans to be Hypocrites?

    Quote Originally Posted by aberrant85 View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/us...rnment.html?hp

    With all the rifts opening in the GOP, the one tenet the party stood united for was that the federal government was too big and spent too much money. Surely such a bloated monstrosity such as this could go without a few days of spending, so the House Republicans had no problem shutting down the government by refusing to pass a clean CR.

    Fox News even took to calling the shutdown a "slimdown." It's like a diet for the government! Isn't that cute?

    Now, however, after receiving near universal condemnation and blame for the situation, the House Republicans attempted to pass a series of piecemeal funding approvals for various popular, very visible programs.

    The party that pushed the last debt ceiling crisis that resulted in the Sequester that cut funding to nutrition programs for women and children, cancer research, national parks, the entire District of Columbia, and the VA, now wants to fully fund these and other programs and is calling the Democrats cruel for refusing to reinstate these vital government services.

    And now, faced with the negative press of having withheld paychecks from more than a million government workers, the House unanimously passed a bill to give full back pay to all furloughed employees.

    To wit: the party that HATES excessive government spending now cares deeply about the continuation of the good work our government does.

    The party that RAILS AGAINST WELFARE QUEENS will now pay more than a million people to not go to work and go home and watch TV.

    The one "plus" of a government shutdown, saving the government billions of dollars in wages, is now replaced by the country's largest temporary expansion of welfare.

    All in protest of a government program that pays for itself and shrinks the deficit.

    Has the party of "fiscal responsibility" completely revealed its underlying hypocrisy, unable to stomach the actual results of their most ardent beliefs?
    I do think the shut down of government over defunding the ACA is stupid. But a couple of interesting polls on the shutdown. CBS poll show 44% blame the Republicans 35% blame Obama the Democrats and 17% blame both parties. So by 9 points America is blaming the republicans more than the Dems. Another way to look at it is add the 17% who blame both parties to each of the major parties and you get 61% of America blame the Republicans or both parties and 52% blame the democrats or both parties.

    FOX News poll has it 25% blaming the congressional republicans, 24% blaming President Obama, 20% blaming the President, the Republicans and the Democrats, everyone. 17% blame the tea party and 8% congressional democrats.

    One more note, back in 1996 during that shutdown, 51% blamed congressional republicans vs. only 28% blaming Clinton.

    So make what you will of these polls, they will be changing as time goes by. But so far there is plenty of blame to go around to both parties and the president.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  9. #9
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,826

    Re: Does Piecemeal Funding Reveal the Republicans to be Hypocrites?

    Enter the latest dynamic, darrel Issa.
    You just can'tor make this stuff up Pero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I do think the shut down of government over defunding the ACA is stupid. But a couple of interesting polls on the shutdown. CBS poll show 44% blame the Republicans 35% blame Obama the Democrats and 17% blame both parties. So by 9 points America is blaming the republicans more than the Dems. Another way to look at it is add the 17% who blame both parties to each of the major parties and you get 61% of America blame the Republicans or both parties and 52% blame the democrats or both parties.

    FOX News poll has it 25% blaming the congressional republicans, 24% blaming President Obama, 20% blaming the President, the Republicans and the Democrats, everyone. 17% blame the tea party and 8% congressional democrats.

    One more note, back in 1996 during that shutdown, 51% blamed congressional republicans vs. only 28% blaming Clinton.

    So make what you will of these polls, they will be changing as time goes by. But so far there is plenty of blame to go around to both parties and the president.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,938
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Does Piecemeal Funding Reveal the Republicans to be Hypocrites?

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    Enter the latest dynamic, darrel Issa.
    You just can'tor make this stuff up Pero.
    What I am saying is everybody is taking a hit over this stupid ploy. Especially among independents. We both know die hard Republicans will back the house no matter what and die hard Democrats the president and senator reid. I would say those whom are blaming both parties are the independents who have no party affiliation. So if the 20% mark is right about blaming both parties, I would say they are independents and they would make up approximately half of all who classify themselves as so.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •