View Poll Results: Does Piecemeal Funding Reveal the Republicans to be Hypocrites?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 62.16%
  • No

    14 37.84%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 78 of 78

Thread: Does Piecemeal Funding Reveal the Republicans to be Hypocrites?

  1. #71
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Does Piecemeal Funding Reveal the Republicans to be Hypocrites?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    You would think the T's would have been happy to get what is virtually the Ryan budget even though he lost the election on it, but NO. They wanted more. Extortionists are never happy it appears. A bill with spending levels of Paul Ryan is sitting on Boners desk right now.


    Interesting. Republicans acting within the powers the Constitution requires them to uphold is called extortion, but Democrats demanding the House ignore the Constitution is not called extortion.

    I'm sorry, but I fail to follow the logic of your argument.

  2. #72
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Does Piecemeal Funding Reveal the Republicans to be Hypocrites?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    I'm thinking that when it comes to the CR, if the House Republicans got all the amounts they wanted on it, we wouldn't be in the place we are now.

    With that in mind, it might be that you are mistaken about a few things.
    The CRs that the Senate sent back to the House did in fact have the spending levels the GOP wanted -- that way, the Senate Democrats could portray the House GOP as voting against their own proposed spending levels and take some of the focus from the ACA.

    The House did the same thing by sending CRs with spending levels the Democrats wanted.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  3. #73
    Advisor aberrant85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Last Seen
    10-04-15 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    594

    Re: Does Piecemeal Funding Reveal the Republicans to be Hypocrites?

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    You do realize that the Sequester was the work of the Democrats right?
    Yes that's true. That was what the Democrats had to sacrifice upon the altar during the last debt ceiling crisis in 2011 when Republicans were demanding concessions or we would default. It was also stupidly assumed that it would not go into effect because Dems and Repubs would have time and incentive to hash out a real compromise, but apparently the Dems weren't offering enough.

    And here we are again. The only difference is that Obama realizes there's no compromising with bullies and so he's standing strong.
    "Obamacare delenda est"

  4. #74
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: Does Piecemeal Funding Reveal the Republicans to be Hypocrites?

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    Boner? Who is Boner? I think you have a basic misunderstanding of the actual budget process, and exactly what has led to the constant crisis mode we find ourselves facing as a country year after year after year since Obama has assumed office. You really should look into that. I'm no big fan of the GOP, but the blame for this situation rests squarely with Obama and the left. I'm equally optimistic that the public at large will have had a belly full of Obama's horse crap soon enough, and the people that have propped him up as well.
    LOL I just told you that the Dems had agreed to the Ryan budget numbers in the CR, they hated that because they were much too low but they agreed to sign on to avoid this circus from hurting our economy. But NO, that was not enough for the greedy 18% minority. They had to repeal a valid law too. No sane person will blame the Dems fro resisting such blackmail. It makes a mockery of our democracy and it main tenet.. Majority rule.
    This stunt will cost the Republicans the House for sure, there are already 24 Reps. who's seats are in danger and this is just beginning.

  5. #75
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,266

    Re: Does Piecemeal Funding Reveal the Republicans to be Hypocrites?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    LOL I just told you that the Dems had agreed to the Ryan budget numbers in the CR, they hated that because they were much too low but they agreed to sign on to avoid this circus from hurting our economy. But NO, that was not enough for the greedy 18% minority. They had to repeal a valid law too. No sane person will blame the Dems fro resisting such blackmail. It makes a mockery of our democracy and it main tenet.. Majority rule.
    This stunt will cost the Republicans the House for sure, there are already 24 Reps. who's seats are in danger and this is just beginning.
    I understand what you said. My understanding is somewhat different. I don't know who this business will help or hurt in the end, but I feel pretty safe in saying that the general populace always seems to be the loser not matter how it's spun. Laws come and go by a number of means. Nothing the House has done is illegal, unconstitutional, or unethical. You and Obama are just having a little temper tantrum that you haven't gotten your way. Now it's give me what I want, and then we'll negotiate. Lol. Nobody smarter than a single celled organism or Nancy Pelosi is dumb enough to believe that.

  6. #76
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,833

    Re: Does Piecemeal Funding Reveal the Republicans to be Hypocrites?

    Yes, Obama wanted 1.2 Trillion, Repubs wanted 0.988 T and Dems agreed.
    Repubs couldn't take YES for an answer and lowered it to 0.966 T, the P. Ryan#.
    And, every time they wrote a new CR, they actually loaded each one with different "anti-laws".
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    LOL I just told you that the Dems had agreed to the Ryan budget numbers in the CR, they hated that because they were much too low but they agreed to sign on to avoid this circus from hurting our economy. But NO, that was not enough for the greedy 18% minority. They had to repeal a valid law too. No sane person will blame the Dems fro resisting such blackmail. It makes a mockery of our democracy and it main tenet.. Majority rule.
    This stunt will cost the Republicans the House for sure, there are already 24 Reps. who's seats are in danger and this is just beginning.

  7. #77
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Does Piecemeal Funding Reveal the Republicans to be Hypocrites?

    Quote Originally Posted by aberrant85 View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/us...rnment.html?hp

    With all the rifts opening in the GOP, the one tenet the party stood united for was that the federal government was too big and spent too much money. Surely such a bloated monstrosity such as this could go without a few days of spending, so the House Republicans had no problem shutting down the government by refusing to pass a clean CR.

    Fox News even took to calling the shutdown a "slimdown." It's like a diet for the government! Isn't that cute?

    Now, however, after receiving near universal condemnation and blame for the situation, the House Republicans attempted to pass a series of piecemeal funding approvals for various popular, very visible programs.

    The party that pushed the last debt ceiling crisis that resulted in the Sequester that cut funding to nutrition programs for women and children, cancer research, national parks, the entire District of Columbia, and the VA, now wants to fully fund these and other programs and is calling the Democrats cruel for refusing to reinstate these vital government services.

    And now, faced with the negative press of having withheld paychecks from more than a million government workers, the House unanimously passed a bill to give full back pay to all furloughed employees.

    To wit: the party that HATES excessive government spending now cares deeply about the continuation of the good work our government does.

    The party that RAILS AGAINST WELFARE QUEENS will now pay more than a million people to not go to work and go home and watch TV.

    The one "plus" of a government shutdown, saving the government billions of dollars in wages, is now replaced by the country's largest temporary expansion of welfare.

    All in protest of a government program that pays for itself and shrinks the deficit.

    Has the party of "fiscal responsibility" completely revealed its underlying hypocrisy, unable to stomach the actual results of their most ardent beliefs?
    Well... I don't think it reveals them to be hypocrites, because there's been plenty of evidence of that for years. The Republican party has been getting progressively crazier for a couple of decades now. They used to be reasonable opposition with some valid concerns. That hasn't been true for a long time now.

  8. #78
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Does Piecemeal Funding Reveal the Republicans to be Hypocrites?

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    The CRs that the Senate sent back to the House did in fact have the spending levels the GOP wanted -- that way, the Senate Democrats could portray the House GOP as voting against their own proposed spending levels and take some of the focus from the ACA.

    The House did the same thing by sending CRs with spending levels the Democrats wanted.
    Indeed. As I wrote, if CR bills, without the gamesmanship, were involved, Congress wouldn't be in the place they are in. Even the Federal response, reportedly directed by the White House, is a nothing but political bildge.

    Hopefully, people are paying attention. Not to the manipulated headlines, but to the facts.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •