View Poll Results: Choose what you will be doing (or not doing) now that ACA sign up is available.

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have insurance and I'm switching to ACA

    4 6.15%
  • I have insurance and I'm keeping it

    40 61.54%
  • I do not have insurance and I'm signing up for ACA

    4 6.15%
  • I do not have insurance and I'm NOT signing up for ACA and will pay the fine

    7 10.77%
  • Other (explain)

    10 15.38%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 101 to 110 of 110

Thread: What will you do now that the ACA sign up has started?[W:44]

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: What will you do now that the ACA sign up has started?

    Quote Originally Posted by francois60 View Post
    Actually, it's not a fine or penalty, it's just a tax. A tax which is uncollectable, according to the law. So no, you don't actually have to pay it. All the IRS can do is send you nasty letters that threaten very serious nasty letters in the future.
    It's uncollectable according to the law? Ok, I didn't know that.

    A tax can be a penalty and that is the intent of the fine.

  2. #102
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,231

    Re: What will you do now that the ACA sign up has started?

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    Please do go on about how I should want inferior healthcare that couldn't possibly measure up to what I already have? It's a sub par product churned out by the government; you'd be in better hands under an HMO.
    think I said the opposite.

    Let me try again.

    Since you have medical insurance you like there is no need to use one of the plans offered through ACA.

    Not sure what you do not get.

    I am lucky as well to have a plan that I like through my employer. I only know two people that will be getting insurance through ACA. One is self employed and is getting a much better deal through the exchange. The other is a family member who was otherwise uninsurable.

  3. #103
    Student francois60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    Last Seen
    02-12-15 @ 03:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    251

    Re: What will you do now that the ACA sign up has started?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    It's uncollectable according to the law? Ok, I didn't know that.
    They can only collect it by docking your refund. No refund, no "personal responsibility fee".

    A tax can be a penalty and that is the intent of the fine.
    Yeah, sorta, but the Supreme Court ruled that it was illegal under the commerce clause and was only legal as a tax. Typically, paying a fine doesn't put you into compliance with a law, and you can face escalating consequences if you continue to flout the law. But since the mandate is only a tax, paying it means you're legally as compliant as someone who bought insurance.

  4. #104
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    09-14-16 @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,415

    Re: What will you do now that the ACA sign up has started?

    Quote Originally Posted by francois60 View Post
    Insurance is real if the customer is happy with it. The government added a ton of mandates on insurers, most of them politically motivated rather than in the interests of people's actual needs.
    OH MY GOD! The sales man spills the beans with the truth!

    Sel l the SUCKER and keep him HAPPY with a FAKE product!

    The story of HC in USA.
    Free Trade Doesn't Work: What Should Replace It and Why,
    Ian Fletcher

    https://www.numbersusa.org/

  5. #105
    Student francois60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    Last Seen
    02-12-15 @ 03:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    251

    Re: What will you do now that the ACA sign up has started?

    Sure, because what I need most right now that I didn't have before was maternity care. And oh yeah, instead of co-pays for preventive care, I just get higher premiums. Not sure why it was so necessary to take that choice from me.

  6. #106
    Educator
    USViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greensboro NC USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: What will you do now that the ACA sign up has started?

    I have what was offered a once-over-lightly look and I was shocked at how high the prices were.

    The cheapest plan was about $325 a month with a $5000 yearly deductible.

    That is close to exactly what I got when I switched plans a few years ago, and I had to pay smokers rates, high blood pressure rates, and maybe a few other things. My deductible has been reduced to $2700, maybe because reported expenses have been trivial.

    I guess the higher than expected rates are due to guaranteed insurability. Look for a lot of people to choose to pay the fine and go uncovered.

  7. #107
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What will you do now that the ACA sign up has started?[W:44]

    Just in case anyone hasn't noticed, the old White men who rule the GOP continue to pretend that the Affordable Care Act is not settled law which has been approved by the U.S. Supreme court.

    The GOP will pay a price for this kerfuffle and they will have no one to blame besides themselves.

    They will get no pity from me.

  8. #108
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,272

    Re: What will you do now that the ACA sign up has started?[W:44]

    Saw Jack Lew with Chris Wallace this AM.
    Swear to God, Lew has to be the most politically obedient Treasury Sec. ever.
    Total Remora on Obama's butt repeating the same talking points.

    Anyway ... I bring up his name because Lew was pressed on how many actual enrollments there have been.
    After repeatedly stressing how very busy the website has been and after dodging the repeated question from Wallace he still wouldn't say.
    He claimed he didn't really know. Anyone believe that?

    No mention of the Obamacare 1-800-F1UC-KYO help-line activity status.

  9. #109
    Student francois60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    Last Seen
    02-12-15 @ 03:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    251

    Re: What will you do now that the ACA sign up has started?[W:44]

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Just in case anyone hasn't noticed, the old White men who rule the GOP continue to pretend that the Affordable Care Act is not settled law which has been approved by the U.S. Supreme court.
    So is the Patriot Act. Laws can be repealed or changed.

    The only laws that can't be changed, at least not easily, are in the Constitution. So the Citizens United decision, THAT is settled law. yet for some reason the left isn't settling.

  10. #110
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: What will you do now that the ACA sign up has started?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Why limit it to 26 if that is your argument? Why allow people to ever grow up or handle their own problems? Is the argument all of sudden not workable at 27 for some reason?
    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    wasnt making it an argument just pointing out the fact that nothing untied posted made him a "freeloader", that was an uncalled for attack
    I was also pointing out referring to the age of 18 and saying that was the limit was very uneducated on this topic.

    also as far as i know just to give some info, there are some reasons it never stops, namely disabilities. but that wasnt an argument just facts the destroy the previous topically uneducated posts.

    Assuming somebody moving to ACA was a free loader is about as topically uneducated and dishonest as a post could be.
    My thoughts on the matter is that traditionally parents were responsible for the well being of their children unless waived by a court of law until the age of 25. Some States still have the requirement that they cannot disinherit their childern until the age of 25.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •