View Poll Results: Who are our representatives responsible to?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Constituents

    20 51.28%
  • Geneal population (country)

    5 12.82%
  • Party

    0 0%
  • Other

    14 35.90%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 48

Thread: Who are our representatives responsible to?

  1. #31
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,243

    Re: Who are our representatives responsible to?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    They should vote based on what they think is right, frankly most Americans too stupid to have intelligent opinions about the issues that the government deals with and even those that have semi-intelligent opinions don't have one for absolutely every issue and problem.

    Any Congressman who wants to be a good Congressman would employ a whole staff of experts on the wide varity of issues that he has to vote on, average citizens don't have that kind expertise at their finger tips over even the education to understand it if they did. That way he can have the best information, the best analysis, to make the best choice.
    This IS the liberal opinion of America.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #32
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Who are our representatives responsible to?

    the founders state that republican government is the highest form of government, and the people have to be educated to keep it, and when they are no longer educated they will lose their form of government, and turn to lower forms of government...like democracy.

  3. #33
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Who are our representatives responsible to?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    the founders state that republican government is the highest form of government, and the people have to be educated to keep it, and when they are no longer educated they will lose their form of government, and turn to lower forms of government...like democracy.
    which explains why the teachers' unions-a wing of the democratic party-are doing all they can do to dumb down the electorate



  4. #34
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,762

    Re: Who are our representatives responsible to?

    complete hysterical nonsense, which America is reawakening to--be gone

  5. #35
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Who are our representatives responsible to?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    1 - we are in the middle of something approaching that right now. I cannot say more right now but will post on this in the future.

    2 - All forms of contact are important and I could not rate them in terms of a priority. I would say that as long as a contact appears to be genuine - the true feelings or opinion of a constituent - it is held as important regardless if it is in person or in writing or in the form of a phone call. Organized mass mailings carry lesser weight if it is all duplicate cards or from letters.

    3- We do have a few very persistent people with lots of special needs but every office does and you just go with it and try to do your best but limit the time you put in to them at the same time so as to now cheat others..

    I hope that helps and will answer #1 more in detail over the coming weeks when I can say more.
    2) If I were a representative, I'd tend to put little to no weight in duplicate forms cards and letters.

    3) When I used to serve on the planning commission in the small town I lived there was this one couple that were front-and-center at every commission and council mkeeting, and they would argue and oppose everything. Literally everything. Didn't matter who was for it, or against it, or what it was. They were pretty much tolerated but ignored by everybody, which was a shame because every once in awhile they'd actually make a good point, but by then they'd served as their own worst enemy and alienated everybody else in the room.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Who are our representatives responsible to?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    This IS the liberal opinion of America.
    You are one of those people, and hell so am I. You'll notice that I've never made comments about whether Obamacare is a good law or not, because I don't know because I haven't studied the issue throughly enough to form a good opinion. I also don't have opinions about 99% of the tax code because I don't know any of the details about 99% of it, me having an opinion about issues dealing would that wouldn't be smart.

    If I was a congressman and had to vote on these issues, I'd make sure I had a staffer who was an expert and could give me a good briefing so I could understand the issue. Regular American citizens don't have that kind of resources.

    I'm sorry if you feel insulted that I said most Americans don't know everything about every issue but that's a simple truth.

  7. #37
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,243

    Re: Who are our representatives responsible to?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    You are one of those people, and hell so am I. You'll notice that I've never made comments about whether Obamacare is a good law or not, because I don't know because I haven't studied the issue throughly enough to form a good opinion. I also don't have opinions about 99% of the tax code because I don't know any of the details about 99% of it, me having an opinion about issues dealing would that wouldn't be smart.

    If I was a congressman and had to vote on these issues, I'd make sure I had a staffer who was an expert and could give me a good briefing so I could understand the issue. Regular American citizens don't have that kind of resources.

    I'm sorry if you feel insulted that I said most Americans don't know everything about every issue but that's a simple truth.
    Yeah, you never made comments blah blah blah.......Wiseone meme. Americans are stupid blah blah blah.....must control them for their own good.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #38
    Student francois60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    Last Seen
    02-12-15 @ 03:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    251

    Re: Who are our representatives responsible to?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    If I was a congressman and had to vote on these issues, I'd make sure I had a staffer who was an expert and could give me a good briefing so I could understand the issue. Regular American citizens don't have that kind of resources.

    I'm sorry if you feel insulted that I said most Americans don't know everything about every issue but that's a simple truth.
    I think you're right about part of it, but you seem to put too much faith in the ability of experts to advise Congressmen. First, experts are chosen for political loyalty above all, much as generals in banana republics are chosen for their loyalty rather than their actual ability to command troops in the field. Second, the advice given to Congressmen is only as useful as the weight they put on it. If what important constituencies want is of more interest to a Congressman than good expert advice, the expert is just talking to himself.

    Finally, when legislating on various subjects, there are no experts greater than those actually involved in the subject, as in doing, rather than just thinking about it. For example, if you're going to regulate oil drilling, who do you get for expert advice? If you don't get oil drillers, then you aren't getting the best advice. But if you do get oil drillers, is it a conflict of interest? Ross Perot used to famously point out that when Hillary Clinton was putting together her health care plan, there were no doctors on her committee for fear of there being a conflict of interest. But without doctors' input, how useful is a health care plan likely to be?

    Despite these problems, this is why we have representative government though. We pay people to immerse themselves in these issues because we don't have time to do it. Now if only these Congressmen would a) actually do their homework, and b) stay out of things they don't understand. Watching 70-year old men try to regulate the internet is hilarious to most of us, especially when they actually start talking about it in public: "you see, it runs on tubes." But most of the things they try to legislate on they don't know anything about, and often it would be better if they just left well enough alone.

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:27 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,611

    Re: Who are our representatives responsible to?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    which explains why the teachers' unions-a wing of the democratic party-are doing all they can do to dumb down the electorate
    By all means - do provide us with some verifiable evidence of this amazing charge.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #40
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Who are our representatives responsible to?

    Poll: Who are our representatives responsible to?
    Talk show hosts.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •