View Poll Results: Are LSD and Psilocybin addictive?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    5 11.90%
  • No

    32 76.19%
  • Not sure

    5 11.90%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 77

Thread: Are LSD and Psilocybin addictive?

  1. #31
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,462
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are LSD and Psilocybin addictive?

    Quote Originally Posted by sbrettt View Post
    Actually, where I come from XTC's are a street name for fake Ecstasy. I'm thinking you were referring to real Ecstasy. I don't think it's accurate to lump MDMA with Psilocybin/LSD when talking about addiction. Yes, they both have hallucinogenic properties, but LSD and Psilocybin do not interact with the reward center. MDMA on the other hand, heavily interacts with the reward center.
    Ex and MDA are derivatives of speed (methedrine) so they can be addictive. Speed was dangerously seductive for me. Cocaine is one of the most sinister addictions. I smoked crack back when you made it yourself and called it 'freebase'. Went through a paycheque in a weekend and said, "Well, we on't be affording this particular hobby." I know two guys who are alcohol addicts who've stayed dry for years by smoking copious amounts of pot.
    I guess what I'm getting at is that addiction is a complicated subject. Someone said only opiates and nicotine are addictive, but I disagree. Someone else (Maggie?) said maybe anything that makes you feel good can be addictive- I think that's closer to the truth.
    It might have more to do with the addict than the substance. I suspect that for some addicts, if the substance they're addicted to didn't exist they'd be addicted to something else.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  2. #32
    Guru
    sbrettt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Prospect park, PA
    Last Seen
    08-09-15 @ 07:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,724

    Re: Are LSD and Psilocybin addictive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    Ex and MDA are derivatives of speed (methedrine) so they can be addictive. Speed was dangerously seductive for me. Cocaine is one of the most sinister addictions. I smoked crack back when you made it yourself and called it 'freebase'. Went through a paycheque in a weekend and said, "Well, we on't be affording this particular hobby." I know two guys who are alcohol addicts who've stayed dry for years by smoking copious amounts of pot.
    I guess what I'm getting at is that addiction is a complicated subject. Someone said only opiates and nicotine are addictive, but I disagree. Someone else (Maggie?) said maybe anything that makes you feel good can be addictive- I think that's closer to the truth.
    It might have more to do with the addict than the substance. I suspect that for some addicts, if the substance they're addicted to didn't exist they'd be addicted to something else.
    I agree it depends on the person. I have tried basically everything besides PCP, Meth, and Crack. Although I think if you've tried coke you've basically tried a milder version of crack. I had the philosophy of trying everything once to see what it was like. I even Slammed heroine and really you have no idea what ecstasy is unless you've experienced heroine via IV. MDMA doesn't even come close. I may have exceeded the one time limit, but never by more than one more additional "trial". The only thing that has been successful at getting me addicted is Nicotine. The only things I would recommend to other people would be pot and Mushrooms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Should I be free to buy anthrax and a rocket launcher?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    Is there a reason you shouldnt be free to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tothian View Post
    Obamacare wants to put a chip inside people. There is a video of it on youtube.

  3. #33
    double secret probation AngryOldGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Phx,Az
    Last Seen
    03-31-14 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,917

    Re: Are LSD and Psilocybin addictive?

    hah ok I O.D.'d On Life Itself in the 70's
    hah yeah smack IS whack! I never got those folks that got a taste of a lil sumthin' sumthin' and became lost in it
    coke meth horse, speedball jebus No we never had enough money (or time) to get into real trouble
    we had to conserve amd 'maintain dude
    hah how 'bout this one, what did you (or will you) tell your kids about yer drug use?
    when my kid was like 14 and asked I said: I dun it all Son and I can tell ya

    'Drugs n alcohol, nothing good comes of it'
    I had to wait eight years to hear "you were right about that one Dad'

    I've always cherished those moments
    New Hope for the Wretched era

  4. #34
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Are LSD and Psilocybin addictive?

    Not sure why there's a poll on this. It's a medical fact that LSD and hallucinogenic fungi are not physically addictive. People can develop psychological addictions to these drugs, but the probability of that is lower than other recreational drugs, such as marijuana.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  5. #35
    Guru
    sbrettt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Prospect park, PA
    Last Seen
    08-09-15 @ 07:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,724

    Re: Are LSD and Psilocybin addictive?

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryOldGuy View Post
    hah ok I O.D.'d On Life Itself in the 70's
    hah yeah smack IS whack! I never got those folks that got a taste of a lil sumthin' sumthin' and became lost in it
    coke meth horse, speedball jebus No we never had enough money (or time) to get into real trouble
    we had to conserve amd 'maintain dude
    hah how 'bout this one, what did you (or will you) tell your kids about yer drug use?
    when my kid was like 14 and asked I said: I dun it all Son and I can tell ya

    'Drugs n alcohol, nothing good comes of it'
    I had to wait eight years to hear "you were right about that one Dad'

    I've always cherished those moments
    I would tell them the only thing they should try is pot, if it's legal. And that's only when they're adults. I think it will be when my kid(s) (if I have any) come of age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Should I be free to buy anthrax and a rocket launcher?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    Is there a reason you shouldnt be free to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tothian View Post
    Obamacare wants to put a chip inside people. There is a video of it on youtube.

  6. #36
    Guru
    sbrettt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Prospect park, PA
    Last Seen
    08-09-15 @ 07:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,724

    Re: Are LSD and Psilocybin addictive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    Not sure why there's a poll on this. It's a medical fact that LSD and hallucinogenic fungi are not physically addictive. People can develop psychological addictions to these drugs, but the probability of that is lower than other recreational drugs, such as marijuana.
    I was hoping a drug warrior would stumble in here, and try telling everyone LSD/Psilocybin are physically addictive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Should I be free to buy anthrax and a rocket launcher?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    Is there a reason you shouldnt be free to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tothian View Post
    Obamacare wants to put a chip inside people. There is a video of it on youtube.

  7. #37
    double secret probation AngryOldGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Phx,Az
    Last Seen
    03-31-14 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,917

    Re: Are LSD and Psilocybin addictive?

    Quote Originally Posted by sbrettt View Post
    The only thing I would recommend to folks is
    my 25 plus years of sobriety oh and piety
    New Hope for the Wretched era

  8. #38
    Guru
    sbrettt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Prospect park, PA
    Last Seen
    08-09-15 @ 07:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,724

    Re: Are LSD and Psilocybin addictive?

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryOldGuy View Post
    my 25 plus years of sobriety oh and piety
    That's the safe and boring way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Should I be free to buy anthrax and a rocket launcher?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    Is there a reason you shouldnt be free to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tothian View Post
    Obamacare wants to put a chip inside people. There is a video of it on youtube.

  9. #39
    Advisor douglas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-29-16 @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    458

    Re: Are LSD and Psilocybin addictive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    Not sure why there's a poll on this. It's a medical fact that LSD and hallucinogenic fungi are not physically addictive. People can develop psychological addictions to these drugs, but the probability of that is lower than other recreational drugs, such as marijuana.
    Such a poll gives us a good measure for how well the facts are accepted. As of now, 15% of DP pollers on this thread still think they're addictive, and another 10% don't know. 1/4 of our poll takers don't know what we think they know. We still have work to do.

  10. #40
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,423
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are LSD and Psilocybin addictive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    I said I wasn't sure. I am guessing they are not inherently addictive, but I also assume that some people who are Polysubstance Dependent would use them habitually if available, though that probably speaks more to the person's indiscriminate substance addiction tendencies than the psychoactivity of the substances themselves.
    Psychedelics have built in abuse limiters. Tolerance increases geometrically.

    It just isn't practical to trip every day.

    Tolerance is short lived though. Once a week works pretty indefinitely
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •