View Poll Results: Is our civilisation pathetic?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    10 16.13%
  • No

    52 83.87%
Page 9 of 53 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 527

Thread: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    LoL. The US can't even "export" illegal people from within it's own borders efficiently and you want to start conquering other planets and exporting people to them

    Priorities man ^_^
    We can shoot all the illegals into space!

    See? Two birds with one stone.

  2. #82
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Parasites and viruses are not desireable to humans like humans are not desireable parasites in space.
    And yet many bacteria and viruses can be. You need more knowledge before having this discussion. I understand, from your value judgement and limited knowledge, certain human cultures are "pathetic". Interesting value judgement that says more about you than those cultures.
    Last edited by clownboy; 09-30-13 at 03:07 PM.

  3. #83
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,076

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Yeah, thats right. Stick to the relevant bits like your government tought you.
    Your reply makes no sense next to the post of mine you led with. It is nonsensical.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    We can shoot all the illegals into space!

    See? Two birds with one stone.
    Send them to colonize Alpha Centauri?
    They can use The tamale spaceship.


  5. #85
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,076

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Not really, no.

    EVERYONE wants to live in a good world.
    And you do labor under the delusion that EVERYONE sees that end the same way for all?

    There is your error. Among others.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #86
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Whether a piece of technology was traded to someone for a profit says nothing about its usefulness. You have characterized all technology as useless, primitive garbage. Compared to what? Be specific. What technology SHOULD exist that doesn't, which you're so upset about?
    I can think of one example immediately. It would be useful to have a mobile computer which is made in a useful way, rather than just to suck profits out of the ones who buy it. And by useful, I mean all the ones on the market now are far less useful than one I got in 2008. The technology and choice has no increased, the technology has stagnated and reversed and there is no choice, because its more profitable to produce almost identical products.

    I can mention a mobile computer with tons of realistic specifications that I want, but it just does not exist, because it is more profitable to make common trash.


    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Society doesn't make food and other needs drop from the sky either. People have to exert effort, think and strategize. They always will. Other living things do also.
    Lots of species don't have to produce food, they just gather and eat what they find, or hunt in case they eat flesh.

    Actually, what you say there is very interesting, because with a minimum amount of effort, the world could produce and distibute superior quality food to every single person on earth, if we wanted.



    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Well it's not really your business in either case, is it?
    Yes it is. Thats my tree as well. In fact, it is everyone in this worlds tree.


    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Why would I not want superpowers? We can want idealistic and impossible things, but to get upset and protest the way you are because utopia is not achieved is psychologically self-destructive. It leads you nowhere except to more frustration and disappointment.
    Nope, not really. A better world is possible, its just such a shame so few people want it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    To think that the world can be a failure reveals a profound sense of entitlement. The world doesn't owe it to you to be perfect for you.
    Are you saying we should rather aim for a ****ty world then and not try to create a good society and a perfect world for everyone?

    It seems like you think no further than the tip of your nose and your nationalism.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  7. #87
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    The fact that you think it's not about you means you're either a hypocrite or you don't know what that word means. This is all about you. Your pathetic lamentations about something.

    I bet you're the kind of person who thinks communism was a great idea.

    Western society has done the most to enrich mankind. It liberated it from many prisons nature put in our path. It gave us opportunities beyond measure. Sure, democracy isn't perfect, it's only as good as the people who are involved in it.

    And our technology is primitive by what standard? Did we meet any aliens while I wasn't looking and they were more advanced than us? I think it's pretty advanced compared to just 20 years ago. Both commercial and scientific technology.

    Now I'm an electronics engineer. I'm sorry we, the engineers of the world, haven't build the world of your dreams. But where is your contribution buddy boy? What remarkable venture did you engage in that has made mankind better?
    Because there are endless encyclopedias crowning the achievements of western civilization and the people it produced and the positive effects are enjoyed by millions.



    And ignored by the guy who started this thread because he has an axe to grind.

  8. #88
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    And yet many bacteria and viruses can be. You need more knowledge before having this discussion. I understand, from your value judgement and limited knowledge, certain human cultures are "pathetic". Interesting value judgement that says more about you than those cultures.
    There was a reason I did not mention bacteria in my last post. And also, viruses in general tend to not be benefitial to humans actually.

    But that is hardly the point since humans would most resemble parasites in space if we ever went there with our current mindset.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    And ignored by the guy who started this thread because he has an axe to grind.
    google is useless to people who don't know what to search for.

  10. #90
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    And you do labor under the delusion that EVERYONE sees that end the same way for all?

    There is your error. Among others.
    Ahh, I love it when person B tells person A what the opinion of person A is.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

Page 9 of 53 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •