View Poll Results: Is our civilisation pathetic?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    10 16.13%
  • No

    52 83.87%
Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 527

Thread: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

  1. #511
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    It is possible if our society gets rid of the root of greed.
    Humans are the root of greed.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  2. #512
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Nah, you got it all wrong.
    THE PEOPLE HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO INFLUENCE ON WHERE SOCIETY GOES!

    (this is a slight exhaggeration, people do have a tiny influence, but it is so small its completely irrelevant)

    Am I making my point clear now?
    Your point is clear. It is clearly wrong, but it is clear.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #513
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Your point is clear. It is clearly wrong, but it is clear.
    Well. Feel free to think so. It's everyones loss.


    Btw. When did you last have any influence at all over the direction or policies of your country? When did anyone except for the politicians have any say in how your country develops? When did anyone else last have influence over any decisions, directions, politices or development of your country aside from politicians and corporations?

    Ooh yes, ofcourse you can select 1 of 2 parties in election, but that changes nothing. When did you last get to vote on anything that actually matters? Nope, you never did. Not one single policy, not anything, nada. You only get to select 1 of the 2 parties. It's the same with all your fellow citizens, in fact, its the same all over the place. (except Switzerland). You never get to vote on anything meaningful, you never get to vote on even the very most important topics of your society. Those things are entirely up to the politicians, and they can do what they want. Afterall, the only thing you can do is to vote for the other party. And they can do the same. The longer it goes, the more corrupt it becomes, and the more corrupt it gets, the less your selection of 1 of the 2 parties matter anything at all, and the more free either of the parties are to abuse you and the citizens of your country and the less you can do about it.

    That's just how democracy works. If you don't see that, its because you live in your little box, where politicians have tricked you into taking side and finding it very important to discuss which of thw two parties is best. You discuss petty party stuff until your face goes red or blue. Even if they burnt the constitituon there is nothing you can do, and you probably wouldnt even try.

    That's why its so good that people feel satisfied as long as other peoples definition of happiness in your life is fullfilled. Its a never ending drug to accomplish it
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  4. #514
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Humans are the root of greed.
    I have higher views of people. I think there is a great force of corruption in our society, and it is not at all the majority of people.

    Ever heard of something rotting at the core?
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  5. #515
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    And how do you do that? It is born into us... ever watch two toddlers that want the same toy?
    You establish a society where everyone have what they need and want. You give people the knowledge to see things clearly and to expand their knowledge and understanding exponentially from a very young age to the end of their days.

    Math doesn't do that. We need a society of values, honor, honesty, integrity, traditions. If we do not have them math is nothing but a tool for destruction and randomness.
    We had societies in the past, rooted in such values, and those did not come by themself, people learned those values from a very young age, and they were reinforced on them for much of their life.

    I mean, our educational system is quite a failure in that regard. Most people graduate without any of those values, or maximum 1 or 2, and still those values are not very strong in them.

    If you know what I mean...





    Ps. What is our society rooted in?
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  6. #516
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:53 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,918

    Re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    You establish a society where everyone have what they need and want. You give people the knowledge to see things clearly and to expand their knowledge and understanding exponentially from a very young age to the end of their days.

    Math doesn't do that. We need a society of values, honor, honesty, integrity, traditions. If we do not have them math is nothing but a tool for destruction and randomness.
    We had societies in the past, rooted in such values, and those did not come by themself, people learned those values from a very young age, and they were reinforced on them for much of their life.

    I mean, our educational system is quite a failure in that regard. Most people graduate without any of those values, or maximum 1 or 2, and still those values are not very strong in them.

    If you know what I mean...





    Ps. What is our society rooted in?
    When we have unlimited resources were everyone can have a 50K diamond, a super yacht, a Ferrari and a billion dollar mansion you might get somewhere.

    Until then you are living in a fantasy world buddy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  7. #517
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    I have higher views of people. I think there is a great force of corruption in our society, and it is not at all the majority of people.

    Ever heard of something rotting at the core?
    There will always be humans who let greed, and other emotions/desires, rule their lives.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #518
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    When we have unlimited resources were everyone can have a 50K diamond, a super yacht, a Ferrari and a billion dollar mansion you might get somewhere.

    Until then you are living in a fantasy world buddy...
    Maybe those things are part of te problem. There is absolutely no actual value in a diamond except for cutting in industrial use.

    I find it a huge problem in our society that someone has way too much whole others have nothing. I mean, most super rich people have money they will never ever use, and only a tiny bit of that could provide much happiness to a lot of desperate people. I mean, it wouldn't take much money to give people in overpopulated areas sex education and free condoms for example. I cannot say for sure, but I have a feeling that many of those pregnancies are not wanted. What I do know for sure it that they create a whole lot of problems.

    As I see it, the capitalist model is completely broken and by definition dysfynctional and inherently unfair. Capitalism as oppose to free market and free trade brings only misery, and allows many people to get rich by making others poor. Even the US, a relatively rich country, is a perfect example of that.

    For Europe it was highly profitable with colonialism, slavery, stealing of natural resources, killing and general stealing in Africa. Looking at it from the other side completely changes the perspective. How would Africa have been today if we had not crushed them? Personally I know far too little about middle age African society, but as far as I know it was far more developed than African society is today.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  9. #519
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    There will always be humans who let greed, and other emotions/desires, rule their lives.
    Maybe, but it does not have to be the majority.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  10. #520
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:53 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,918

    Re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Maybe those things are part of te problem. There is absolutely no actual value in a diamond except for cutting in industrial use.

    I find it a huge problem in our society that someone has way too much whole others have nothing. I mean, most super rich people have money they will never ever use, and only a tiny bit of that could provide much happiness to a lot of desperate people. I mean, it wouldn't take much money to give people in overpopulated areas sex education and free condoms for example. I cannot say for sure, but I have a feeling that many of those pregnancies are not wanted. What I do know for sure it that they create a whole lot of problems.

    As I see it, the capitalist model is completely broken and by definition dysfynctional and inherently unfair. Capitalism as oppose to free market and free trade brings only misery, and allows many people to get rich by making others poor. Even the US, a relatively rich country, is a perfect example of that.

    For Europe it was highly profitable with colonialism, slavery, stealing of natural resources, killing and general stealing in Africa. Looking at it from the other side completely changes the perspective. How would Africa have been today if we had not crushed them? Personally I know far too little about middle age African society, but as far as I know it was far more developed than African society is today.
    You can say that those things are a part of the problem all you like... the problem is that people will want them. You truly just don't seem to get it.

    As long as some people have things that others want but can't have you will have a problem.
    As long as some people are in charge of others laying down the law that others don't like you will have a problem.

    I can go on and on but I don't think that you will ever understand the innate failures of human behaviour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •