I would have voted "In some respects" if that were an option. Because it's not, I stuck with 'No.'
Thread: Our civilisation is pathetic.
Aspects I find pathetic include:
- The pervasive attitudes that autonomous legal adults are entitled to their needs being met by the external, as though they're still children.
- Economic policies based on a gambler's fallacy "if I blow it all now, things will be better later and THEN I'll be able to pay my bills."
- Unrestrained population growth and the visceral/emotional refusal to discuss slowing down.
- Staunch bargain shoppers who get angry that companies pursue economies of scale and cost-minimize.
- Party loyalists
Some things I find absolutely amazing, when I sit back and reflect on it, which I think we would not have invented were it not for our pathetic but advanced civilization:
- Wireless broadband internet. Do you guys realize how freaking amazing this is? It is unbelievably amazing. Revolutionary. The most profound advancement since the printing press.
- Self-fusing silicone tape
. My god this stuff works amazingly well. A million times better than duct tape.
- Chain saws
Every time I use these things I feel a sense of awe and appreciation for human intelligence and innovation.