View Poll Results: Is our civilisation pathetic?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    10 16.13%
  • No

    52 83.87%
Page 37 of 53 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 527

Thread: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

  1. #361
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    It's actually more of a German thing than a pan-European thing.

    Most Europeans use billion in the same way americans do and we use trillion in the same way americans do too. ANd we use it that way for the same reason you use that way, because it's ****ing british. Better still, it's ****ing french... and the british learned how to count properly after Napoleon schooled them and much of Europe in the art of warfare.

    But germans and I think danes and swedes and norwegians use the alternative method too... in the way that said method is what is normal to them.

    So 1 bil normally would be 1000million.
    But in germany, 1 bil = 1.000.000 million (one million million)
    I was just going off the wikipedia entry on who used which scale. I work with a lot of Germans though, so I was familiar with it.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  2. #362
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    I was just going off the wikipedia entry on who used which scale. I work with a lot of Germans though, so I was familiar with it.
    Well, wikipedia isn't always right.

    France for example... if you go in Brittany, you'd probably find that they're more accustomed with the long scale... but in most of france, short scale it is. Same of Italy... pretty sure it's the same for Spain and Portugal.

    I know that Napoleon enforced the short counting because he enforced standardized measurements and scales all over the place and I remember this dychonomy:
    Napoleon made centimeters and inches longer to fit the French standard (back then many nations had their own standards for measurements, Napoleon fixed that problem -> he was normal size in French inches but shorter by 1/5th or so in English inches, hence, the stereotype that Napoleon was small) and made numbers smaller to help with logistical problems.

    People adapt to the short scale especially in relation to business deals or whatever that happen internationally. More people know the american way but german languages, through their nature of how they form words, cause this differentiation to still exist to some minimal degree.

  3. #363
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    Well, wikipedia isn't always right.
    Yeah, I know.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  4. #364
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Why wouldn't you just say 7 billion? Have you not gotton to the higher numbers in school yet?

    I find it odd a 12 year old would make a thread about how a society that he has not experienced yet is pathetic.
    I would say this attempted insult is the most boring so far.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  5. #365
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    If this was true, we would live in that kind of society, so it obviously isn't.

    The reason it isn't true is because people are selfish and greedy. We can't help it, we evolved that way. Being selfish and greedy is a good survival trait.

    To really make things in the world equal, it would involve seriously lowering the standard of living of most developed nations, and we don't want that.
    I dont agree with you. My personal take is that the reason is, because people in general have absolutely no influence on what the world becomes like. That seems to be reserved to the most manipulative among us, who will do anything to get to power. Unfortunately, those are exactly the people who should not be in power. In general, the few should not govern the many either. The many should govern the many.

    I dont think you are right about lowering standard. Our standards are pretty damn low. And how high standards are highly depends on how you define them.
    If you think high standards is to work all day, all week, all years, most of your life, so that you can buy a lot of junk you dont need, then yes, the standard would be lower. But if you measured it in progress, living standards and happiness, I am convinced it would be much higher.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  6. #366
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:34 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,541

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    So f*** the US
    This is what every single one of your posts boils down to.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  7. #367
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Who makes the laws? And who enforces those laws? That's damn close to a world government, what with having a legislative body and a law enforcement arm.
    Thats the question, isnt it?

    Who makes the laws in the EU? We don't really have a government at that level, but we do have many laws, regulation and cooperation at that level. I realise we have mechanisms like the parliament and the executive commission. But that is way short of a government. Personally i think we could get rid of the commission as well.

    We then have the council where all the nations come together and cooperate. We have the safe mechanism in the European parliament. Right, we do need to commission to draft in a non political way, and enforce in a non partial way. hmm.

    Well. the European Union is interesting to look at in this regard.

    Perhaps we can do something completely new. Afterall, we just need a few basic laws, human rights etc.

    interesting conundrum.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  8. #368
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    It's actually more of a German thing than a pan-European thing.

    Most Europeans use billion in the same way americans do and we use trillion in the same way americans do too. ANd we use it that way for the same reason you use that way, because it's ****ing british. Better still, it's ****ing french... and the british learned how to count properly after Napoleon schooled them and much of Europe in the art of warfare.

    But germans and I think danes and swedes and norwegians use the alternative method too... in the way that said method is what is normal to them.

    So 1 bil normally would be 1000million.
    But in germany, 1 bil = 1.000.000 million (one million million)
    I just said seven thousand million because I felt like it. I could have said 7 billion if I wanted.

    You are right about the Germanic languages. They say "billion" for English "trillion" actually. They say "milliard" for billion, which is unique to those languages. "Mille" is one thousand, implying that "milliard" probably comes from "thousand-million".
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  9. #369
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    This is what every single one of your posts boils down to.
    Not really. That post was not about that at all. It was just part of the post.

    Its just your allergic reaction to anything negtive about the US which makes you think that, and react in the way you do. I should think you are indoctrinated for behaving like that.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  10. #370
    Professor Hypersonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    11-04-13 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,379

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Not really. That post was not about that at all. It was just part of the post.

    Its just your allergic reaction to anything negtive about the US which makes you think that, and react in the way you do. I should think you are indoctrinated for behaving like that.
    Seeing how you like to ignore logic, let me ask you.

    If you say "F*** the US" how are people to respond to that statement? You want people to use Freudian methodology in reading that statement?
    “Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.”

    -Arthur Schopenhauer

Page 37 of 53 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •