View Poll Results: Is our civilisation pathetic?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    10 16.13%
  • No

    52 83.87%
Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 527

Thread: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

  1. #91
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    google is useless to people who don't know what to search for.

    Google is a pretty crappy search engine to be honest. The technology has barely developed any the last 15 years.

    I can imagine a thousand way a searh engine could be more useful.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  2. #92
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    We can shoot all the illegals into space!

    See? Two birds with one stone.



    That's a great idea.

    It would definitely pump up the economy.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    That's a great idea.

    It would definitely pump up the economy.
    I find myself with the strange compulsion to make an extremely politically incorrect joke regarding "Angry Birds" here. I'm going to do my best to resist it.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Google is a pretty crappy search engine to be honest. The technology has barely developed any the last 15 years.

    I can imagine a thousand way a searh engine could be more useful.
    You're a waste of comments.

    I'm done with you.

  5. #95
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    The fact that you think it's not about you means you're either a hypocrite or you don't know what that word means. This is all about you. Your pathetic lamentations about something.

    I bet you're the kind of person who thinks communism was a great idea.

    Western society has done the most to enrich mankind. It liberated it from many prisons nature put in our path. It gave us opportunities beyond measure. Sure, democracy isn't perfect, it's only as good as the people who are involved in it.

    And our technology is primitive by what standard? Did we meet any aliens while I wasn't looking and they were more advanced than us? I think it's pretty advanced compared to just 20 years ago. Both commercial and scientific technology.

    Now I'm an electronics engineer. I'm sorry we, the engineers of the world, haven't build the world of your dreams. But where is your contribution buddy boy? What remarkable venture did you engage in that has made mankind better? Because there are endless encyclopedias crowning the achievements of western civilization and the people it produced and the positive effects are enjoyed by millions.
    I am sorry, I didnt mean to miss your post actually.

    Engineers are among the most useful people in this world. That's all I have to say about that.
    Designers and decision makers on the other hand.........


    I dont think any ideology of this world so far has been good at all. I think they all suck.
    However, I do see positive sides in all ideologies, and we should create new ideologies, based on the positive features of all previous ideologies I would think..

    Democracy is not perfect, by far not. Actually, its turning out that democracy turns into tyrrany, just like Plato said.


    Technologies are primitive because we don't put existing technologies together in a very benefitial and advanced way. So I mean that technologies are very primitive relative to their own potential when applied in a better way.
    Besides, I think there are far more important things in this world than just technology. In fact, I think our society is falling into a technology trap, where we think too much of technology and not enough about other things.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  6. #96
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    I can think of one example immediately. It would be useful to have a mobile computer which is made in a useful way, rather than just to suck profits out of the ones who buy it. And by useful, I mean all the ones on the market now are far less useful than one I got in 2008. The technology and choice has no increased, the technology has stagnated and reversed and there is no choice, because its more profitable to produce almost identical products.

    I can mention a mobile computer with tons of realistic specifications that I want, but it just does not exist, because it is more profitable to make common trash.




    Lots of species don't have to produce food, they just gather and eat what they find, or hunt in case they eat flesh.

    Actually, what you say there is very interesting, because with a minimum amount of effort, the world could produce and distibute superior quality food to every single person on earth, if we wanted.





    Yes it is. Thats my tree as well. In fact, it is everyone in this worlds tree.




    Nope, not really. A better world is possible, its just such a shame so few people want it.




    Are you saying we should rather aim for a ****ty world then and not try to create a good society and a perfect world for everyone?

    It seems like you think no further than the tip of your nose and your nationalism.



    If it's in my fenced in orchard, it's my tree, and if I see anyone picking fruit from it I'll sic my dogs on them.

  7. #97
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    You're a waste of comments.

    I'm done with you.
    I suppose that means I am done with you as well.

    Wish you all the best!
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  8. #98
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    google is useless to people who don't know what to search for.



    Unfortunately very true.

    A lot of [people don't know what they are looking for so they don't recognize it when they trip over it.




    [B]"If you don't know where you are going any road will get you there." ~Lewis Carroll[/B]

  9. #99
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    If it's in my fenced in orchard, it's my tree, and if I see anyone picking fruit from it I'll sic my dogs on them.
    Thats your concept of the world.

    I think such thinking is much of the reason that we are where we are.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  10. #100
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    re: Our civilisation is pathetic. [W:459]

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    I can think of one example immediately. It would be useful to have a mobile computer which is made in a useful way, rather than just to suck profits out of the ones who buy it.
    1) People who buy these mobile computers "profit" too, in that they are voluntarily trading something they value less (money) for something they value more (that computer). If they didn't, they wouldn't buy it (and in that case the maker and retailer wouldn't profit either).
    2) It is not rational to manufacture anything if there is zero opportunity to make more money than it costs. In fact that would be self-destructive.
    3) Again, whether the maker of something profits or not has nothing to do with the product's usefulness.

    I can mention a mobile computer with tons of realistic specifications that I want, but it just does not exist, because it is more profitable to make common trash.
    I'm no computer industry expert, so if you really know what you're talking about, then perhaps you have stumbled on an untapped market and thus have a good business and/or investment opportunity.

    Actually, what you say there is very interesting, because with a minimum amount of effort, the world could produce and distibute superior quality food to every single person on earth, if we wanted.
    You haven't thought this one through. The energy we use to produce and distribute food is significant, and shipping it to every human on the planet would be a waste of that energy. Plus you would artificially be enabling further overpopulation, which you complained about in a recent post. Conundrum!

    Yes it is. Thats my tree as well. In fact, it is everyone in this worlds tree.
    You can say it a million times that there is no such thing as property rights, but that doesn't make it true. No wonder you're frustrated. Insisting that the world belongs to you when in fact it doesn't.

    Nope, not really. A better world is possible, its just such a shame so few people want it.

    Are you saying we should rather aim for a ****ty world
    No one is "aiming" for a certain world. The world is the world. It is supremely arrogant to think that the world and all the people in it can, will or should bend to your will.

    then and not try to create a good society and a perfect world for everyone?
    It is unhealthy to expect perfection and get bitter and angry when it doesn't happen. It's never happened and it will never happened. It leads nowhere other than to nihilism.

    It seems like you think no further than the tip of your nose and your nationalism.
    I just recognize irrational bitterness, idealism and entitlement when I see it.

Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •