View Poll Results: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    35 38.04%
  • No

    57 61.96%
Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 395

Thread: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

  1. #251
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,471

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post


    The House has already passed it's budget. It is SENATE Democrats who are refusing to do so.
    Doh, the Senate passed a budget, too.....


    "....."We have been pressing our Republican colleagues to negotiate on the budget since last March," Rep. Chris Van Hollen (Md.), the senior Democrat on the House Budget Committee, said during a press briefing in the Capitol. "The House passed a budget, and the Senate passed a budget. … Well, it turns out they weren't serious about getting a federal budget."

    Van Hollen highlighted a Democratic resolution calling on Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) to appoint conferees to negotiate the 2014 budget.

    "They refused to do that," he noted.

    The Democrats accused the Republicans of eluding those talks for fear that any subsequent compromise would cause a revolt from the Tea Party conservatives in their ranks.

    "Why would they do that?" Van Hollen asked. "Because you have to compromise in a budget negotiations." ....

    Read more: Dems want 2014 budget deal - The Hill's On The Money


    The ball is in Boehner's court and he has refused to negotiate the 2014 budget since last spring. And now here he is, holding the country hostage over an ideology that the country rejected and voted against during the last election.
    Last edited by Moot; 10-01-13 at 03:45 PM.

  2. #252
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Do you truly not understand how a deal works? It requires that both sides walk away with something they want. In your so called "compromise" that you just described, what exactly are the democrats getting out of it?
    Funding of most of Obamacare. What are the Republicans getting? Do you truly not understand how a deal works? It requires that both sides walk away with something they want.

  3. #253
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Doh, the Senate passed a budget, too.....


    "....."We have been pressing our Republican colleagues to negotiate on the budget since last March," Rep. Chris Van Hollen (Md.), the senior Democrat on the House Budget Committee, said during a press briefing in the Capitol. "The House passed a budget, and the Senate passed a budget. … Well, it turns out they weren't serious about getting a federal budget."

    Van Hollen highlighted a Democratic resolution calling on Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) to appoint conferees to negotiate the 2014 budget.

    "They refused to do that," he noted.

    The Democrats accused the Republicans of eluding those talks for fear that any subsequent compromise would cause a revolt from the Tea Party conservatives in their ranks.

    "Why would they do that?" Van Hollen asked. "Because you have to compromise in a budget negotiations." ....

    Read more: Dems want 2014 budget deal - The Hill's On The Money


    The ball is in Boehner's court and he has refused to negotiate the 2014 budget since last spring. And now here he is, holding the country hostage over an ideology that the country rejected and voted against during the last election.
    False, the Republicans passed 4 appropriations bills. If you look at the status, they have all been pending in the Senate for 3 months. A budget is required, but not neccesary. Spending bills are neccesary. Why hasnt the Senate considerd the spending bills?

    Status of Appropriations Legislation for Fiscal Year 2014 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

  4. #254
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    False, the Republicans passed 4 appropriations bills. If you look at the status, they have all been pending in the Senate for 3 months. A budget is required, but not neccesary. Spending bills are neccesary. Why hasnt the Senate considerd the spending bills?

    Status of Appropriations Legislation for Fiscal Year 2014 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
    what the house has passed as a spending bill is different then what the senate passed as a spending bill.

    normally any differances are resolved in conferance commitees but it seems that one side is reluctant to go into conference committees.
    WASHINGTON -- House Republicans decided Monday that government shutdown or not, it was more important for them to keep trying to strike a blow against Obamacare. Having failed to convince Senate Democrats to go along, the Republicans resorted to seeking a "conference committee" to resolve the differences.

    For Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.), chair of the Senate Budget Committee, the move is ironic. She has been trying for more than a half-year to go to a conference to work out dramatic differences between the Senate budget and the House version. Senate and House Republicans have objected, repeatedly.

    But with the clock expiring at midnight Monday, and federal officials starting to shut down all non-essential government functions, the House resorted to seeking a conference committee to pass a spending bill, or "continuing resolution" that runs only through mid-November or mid-December.

    Senate Democrats called that negotiating at gunpoint.

    "We know going to a conference means that we have to compromise -- that's what a conference is," Murray said just before midnight. "But we're not going to do it with a gun to our head that says we're shutting government down and we're going to conference over a short little six-week C.R. We have to deal with the longer-term budget. We have asked many times to go to conference on that."

    Indeed, Murray and her colleagues asked 18 times. They have been blocked by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and a group of tea party Republicans led by Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas).
    Republicans Spent Year Blocking Budget Conference (VIDEO)

  5. #255
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Funding of most of Obamacare. What are the Republicans getting? Do you truly not understand how a deal works? It requires that both sides walk away with something they want.
    The affordable care act is already the law of land. You don't "compromise" by "giving" someone half of what they already have.

  6. #256
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,882
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    The affordable care act is already the law of land. You don't "compromise" by "giving" someone half of what they already have.
    Agreed. IMHO it is both irresponsible government and stupid politics to shut down the federal government and/or default on the debt over Obamacare. Is it an incoherent mishmash, likely to fail in many ways? Yes. But it is the law of the land, already passed and signed into law. Let it take effect, then campaign against it. That's why we have elections. The Repubs' current actions let BHO off the hook and shift focus from Obamacare implementation to Repub infighting.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #257
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,471

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    False, the Republicans passed 4 appropriations bills. If you look at the status, they have all been pending in the Senate for 3 months. A budget is required, but not neccesary. Spending bills are neccesary. Why hasnt the Senate considerd the spending bills?

    Status of Appropriations Legislation for Fiscal Year 2014 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
    What your link shows is that there hasn't been a House-Senate budget conference committee or report at all this year. See the column under "Conf. report". Your link validates what the democrats have been saying: Boehner has refused to appoint negotiators for a House-Senate budget conference committee to hash out differences and negotiate a compromise in the budget.



    Congress considers the president's budget request...

    In the next phase of the annual budget process, the House and Senate Budget Committees will hold hearings on the president's budget request. In the hearings, administration officials -- sometimes even the secretaries of the Cabinet-level agencies -- are called to testify, and justify their specific budget requests. Based on the hearings and the president's budget request, the Budget Committees will prepare a draft of the congressional budget resolution. After being amended by the full House and Senate, the congressional budget resolution will go to a joint House-Senate conference committee, where any differences will be resolved. The conference report on the annual congressional budget resolution will then be debated and passed by both houses of Congress...read

    About the President's Annual Budget Request

  8. #258
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    I have no idea what that means since im not in third grade.
    You mean you haven't graduated from 3rd grade it appears.

  9. #259
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Slicing up the ACA? Obama has done plenty of that don't you think? Unconstitutionally mind you..... That being said, a delay rather than dismissal was a compromise and they fund the rest of the Gov.
    For 11 weeks.

  10. #260
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    For 11 weeks.
    If the Democrats would rather talk about a budget as opposed to a CR, I'm sure they house wouldn't mind. But the Democrats don't want to do that.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •