View Poll Results: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    35 38.04%
  • No

    57 61.96%
Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 395

Thread: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

  1. #241
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Compromise is a two-way street, Republicans did their share, now it is the Democrats turn.
    The difference is that the dems didn't include any extranious demands.

    Maybe they should compromise by adding some, like increasing the minimum wage, and taxing capital gains at the same rate as income that is actually earned by personal work and production.

  2. #242
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,026

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    There is no compromising the law of the land. Even a 3rd grader knows that.
    I have no idea what that means since im not in third grade.

  3. #243
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,026

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    What compromise did the Republicans offer the democrats in return for slicing up the affordable care act? Was it immigration reform, tax increases or gay marriage? You do real that compromise involves both sides getting something they want right?
    They offered to delay obamacare for a year instead of defunding. Then they reduced that to only eliminating the medical device tax. Then they reduced that to only requiring that congress be required to get healthcare off the exchange. Now, what have democrats offered? You do real that compromise involves both sides getting something they want right?

  4. #244
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,340

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    The CR already contains the "compromise position" of the Democrats. It continues the budget cuts imposed by the sequester something most Democrats oppose as damaging to our economy and long term growth.
    Now there are at least two, you and me, that think thbe question is answerable.

  5. #245
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    What compromise did the Republicans offer the democrats in return for slicing up the affordable care act? Was it immigration reform, tax increases or gay marriage? You do real that compromise involves both sides getting something they want right?
    Slicing up the ACA? Obama has done plenty of that don't you think? Unconstitutionally mind you..... That being said, a delay rather than dismissal was a compromise and they fund the rest of the Gov.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  6. #246
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,026

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Now there are at least two, you and me, that think thbe question is answerable.
    it seems pretty simple. Republicans and Democrats have already agreed on funding all parts of govt under the current baseline for 3 months. The only point of disagreement is the funding of Obamacare. So logically, if there is to be a compromise, it has to revolve around that. Somewhere between Obamacare as is, or no Obamacare. Republicans have offered 3 choices. Democrats have rejected them all. So we're back to when and what are the democrats going to offer?

  7. #247
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    The difference is that the dems didn't include any extranious demands.

    Maybe they should compromise by adding some, like increasing the minimum wage, and taxing capital gains at the same rate as income that is actually earned by personal work and production.
    The Dems won't allow a budget to be passed, haven't in 4 years. That being said, the only way to cut spending is by tacking things on to the CR. The obvious bloated spending to cut first is something that is not good for the people and the people do not want, the ACA.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  8. #248
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    it seems pretty simple. Republicans and Democrats have already agreed on funding all parts of govt under the current baseline for 3 months. The only point of disagreement is the funding of Obamacare. So logically, if there is to be a compromise, it has to revolve around that. Somewhere between Obamacare as is, or no Obamacare. Republicans have offered 3 choices. Democrats have rejected them all. So we're back to when and what are the democrats going to offer?
    you are using logic and speaking truth. Knucklehead liberals don't understand those things.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  9. #249
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:22 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,318

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by aberrant85 View Post
    Here's a rather frightening article about the repercussions of a credit default:

    Wall Street to GOP: Are you nuts? - Ben White - POLITICO.com

    "A brief shutdown would have some negative economic effects and could create political blowback on the GOP. But it would cause far less long-term damage than a default, which would likely send interest rates sky-rocketing, crush the stock market, devastate business and consumer confidence, and probably send the nationís economy hurtling back into recession if not depression."

    Let's say you and your brother go out for dinner. Your brother's behind the wheel. He wants Mexican, and you want Italian. You can't convince him and he can't convince you along the way. As you near a sharp curve, he keeps his foot on the gas and demands you give in to Mexican or he'll drive you both off the road.

    All bias aside, is this not what House Republicans are doing? They had two years in the last Congress to push their ideas. They failed to pass their agenda through the Senate and signed into law by the President. They lost seats in the election. They've had another 9 months to argue their ideas, with even less to show for it. Now that there is no time for debate, they are demanding their ideas be enacted or they will allow a catastrophic default on the US Government's debt.

    Is it out of bounds to demand this when you have not been able to convince your fellow Congressmen to support your ideas when there was time to debate them? Or is using the threat of disaster a legitimate political tool?
    The President is allowed to spend, what the House grants him and no more. If he sees the end of the line and increases spending? Well, he runs the country out of money. He must have known that. Most CEOs know these things.

    I would have thought he should have seen it coming. Or wasn't he paying attention? Or did he think he would just put the pressure on and the House would fold?

  10. #250
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    They offered to delay obamacare for a year instead of defunding. Then they reduced that to only eliminating the medical device tax. Then they reduced that to only requiring that congress be required to get healthcare off the exchange. Now, what have democrats offered? You do real that compromise involves both sides getting something they want right?
    Do you truly not understand how a deal works? It requires that both sides walk away with something they want. In your so called "compromise" that you just described, what exactly are the democrats getting out of it?

Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •