View Poll Results: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    35 38.04%
  • No

    57 61.96%
Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 395

Thread: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

  1. #211
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    It's absolutely not okay.

    In a republic, there are free elections, and when you've lost, you have to recognize that. Being a good loser is as important as being a good winner. Obama has clearly won the election and thus has a mandate for his reform plan. Not acknowledging that is a kick in the face of that majority. They should rather seek a compromise that respects the majority decision, instead of clinging to a hardcore 100% opposition in favor of their minority opinion.

    It's also important that the different parties respect each other enough to rather see the other as a competitor, not an enemy.

    In this case, the Republicans are placing ideology and their own party above the country. That's neither commendable, nor is it acceptable in a democratic republic. This attitude divides the country and might even destroy it. IMO.

    As a German, I cannot help but remember that this kind of BS, republican parties that placed party and ideology above the country, was a major reason for the failure of the Weimar Republic. People turned away in masses from republican parties that couldn't agree on **** and kept blocking each other. We all know how that ended.
    sorry that is not correct, if obama had a mandate, when why were the democrats throw out of the house, in the biggest lost for them since 1947?

    our system of government was not meant to be fast, it was meant to be slow and steady process....just becuase one party is in two branches, does not mean they get to do anything they wish

    and our government is not democratic..........article 4 section 4 of the u.s. constitution...."The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened), against domestic Violence.

    all of those who have been taught america is a democracy..... have been improperly educated.

  2. #212
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    sorry that is not correct, if obama had a mandate, when why were the democrats throw out of the house, in the biggest lost for them since 1947?

    our system of government was not meant to be fast, it was meant to be slow and steady process....just becuase one party is in two branches, does not mean they get to do anything they wish

    and our government is not democratic..........article 4 section 4 of the u.s. constitution...."The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened), against domestic Violence.

    all of those who have been taught america is a democracy..... have been improperly educated.
    Yeah, and you apparently have no idea about the difference between republics and democracies. Some Americans, especially the more primitive right-wing ideologues, are famous in the entire world for their total lack of education, their small-mindedness and their partisan extremism.

    Besides, I didn't mention "democracy" anywhere.

    Fact is, Obama was legally elected and he legally got through his reform. When you don't acknowledge that, you kick in the face of your constitution. The Republicans now place ideology and party above the country. They will even risk extreme and severe damage to the entire country, just because they don't get their will and because they have lost the election.

    When that is not prove for hating the own country and for being extremist partisan hacks, I don't know what else is.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  3. #213
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Yeah, and you apparently have no idea about the difference between republics and democracies. Some Americans, especially the more primitive right-wing ideologues, are famous in the entire world for their total lack of education, their small-mindedness and their partisan extremism.

    Besides, I didn't mention "democracy" anywhere.

    Fact is, Obama was legally elected and he legally got through his reform. When you don't acknowledge that, you kick in the face of your constitution. The Republicans now place ideology and party above the country. They will even risk extreme and severe damage to the entire country, just because they don't get their will and because they have lost the election.

    When that is not prove for hating the own country and for being extremist partisan hacks, I don't know what else is.
    yes i do, you see america is not democratic at all, its republican, this can be found by reading the constitution, the founders, and the federalist papers....number 40 in particular

    the u.s. is a republic, with Republican government, not democratic government.

    a republican government is mixed constitution or mixed government, what is mixed government?

    Mixed government, also known as a mixed constitution, is a form of government that integrates elements of democracy, aristocracy, and monarchy. In a mixed government, some issues (often defined in a constitution) are decided by the majority of the people, some other issues by few, and some other issues by a single person (also often defined in a constitution). The idea is commonly treated as an antecedent of separation of powers.

    federalist 40...madison father of the u.s. constitution.


    The Federalist No. 40
    On the Powers of the Convention to Form a Mixed Government Examined and Sustained
    New York Packet
    Friday, January 18, 1788
    [James Madison]
    To the People of the State of New York:

    THE second point to be examined is, whether the [ constitutional ]convention were authorized to frame and propose this mixed Constitution.

    i did not state obama was not legally elected, i stated becuase he was elected and holds the upper house, does not give him a blank check to do anything he wishes.

    if republicans controlled things, and the house was in the hands of democrats, and the republicans wanted to end all social programs, do you believe democratics would let the republican do as they wanted?...no.

    wining elections ,does not give your party all they desire.

  4. #214
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,366

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    i am pointing out that there are millions of people who support what the republicans are doing, you can discount them, however they are there making their presence known.

    so i am trying to dispel this notion, that the nation is against them, when it is not, they have plenty of people on their side ......as you have on yours.
    The latest polls show Republican Congressional approval at historic all time lows and 68% believe putting the Govt. down for even a short time is a bad idea.
    Are you another one of those citizens that have forgotten about how majority rule works? I suggest you take a civics course to refresh your memory.

    Here's a hint...When 68% of Americans disapprove of what you are doing and only 27% agree, the country is SOLIDLY against you.

  5. #215
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    When have I called anyone a terrorist?
    I wasn't asking if you had called him a terrorist. I am asking if Obama's behavior in 2006 bore the same moral atrocity - described variously as "terrorism", "hostage taking" and the like - as Republicans today, since it was, in fact, the same behavior. And did you think that of him at the time?

  6. #216
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    The latest polls show Republican Congressional approval at historic all time lows and 68% believe putting the Govt. down for even a short time is a bad idea.
    Are you another one of those citizens that have forgotten about how majority rule works? I suggest you take a civics course to refresh your memory.

    Here's a hint...When 68% of Americans disapprove of what you are doing and only 27% agree, the country is SOLIDLY against you.

    do you really belive if the government shutdown,for ....how long.......we are going to crash and burn becuase of it........we didn't in 95 ,96 why would we now?

    well its used to be called american government, not civics.

    if things are as you say and only 27% of the people support them, you should be glad, because it should mean the party you support should control the house in 2014, so rejoice.

  7. #217
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,366

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    do you really belive if the government shutdown,for ....how long.......we are going to crash and burn becuase of it........we didn't in 95 ,96 why would we now?

    well its used to be called american government, not civics.

    if things are as you say and only 27% of the people support them, you should be glad, because it should mean the party you support should control the house in 2014, so rejoice.
    I do not feel like rejoicing when my countries economy is being threatened like this. That is where we differ. I care about her.

    The cost of the shutdowns in the 90's was estimated at 66 billion dollars in todays money. How much do you think this stunt is worth?
    Last edited by iguanaman; 10-01-13 at 01:34 AM.

  8. #218
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    I do not feel like rejoicing when my countries economy is being threatened like this. That is where we differ. I care about her.
    i do too...., however we differ on how we care.

  9. #219
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,890

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I wasn't asking if you had called him a terrorist. I am asking if Obama's behavior in 2006 bore the same moral atrocity - described variously as "terrorism", "hostage taking" and the like - as Republicans today, since it was, in fact, the same behavior. And did you think that of him at the time?
    Is this going to turn into one of those "have you stopped beating your wife" lines of questioning? I never said anyone was a terrorist, so why ask me that question?
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  10. #220
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,366

    Re: Is it Fair Play to Hold the Debt Ceiling Hostage?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I wasn't asking if you had called him a terrorist. I am asking if Obama's behavior in 2006 bore the same moral atrocity - described variously as "terrorism", "hostage taking" and the like - as Republicans today, since it was, in fact, the same behavior. And did you think that of him at the time?
    That depends...did Obama lead a cabal of Representatives who intimidated their party into a stunt that lowered the credit rating of the United States for the 1st time and cost the Govt. billions? No? Then it is not the same thing at all. And frankly it belittles those that keep bringing it up as such. I'm surprised at you.
    Last edited by iguanaman; 10-01-13 at 01:43 AM.

Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •