View Poll Results: does rush limbaugh believes in what he says?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    25 56.82%
  • no

    15 34.09%
  • not sure

    4 9.09%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 102

Thread: Is rush limbaugh serious?

  1. #71
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    68,004

    Re: Is rush limbaugh serious?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    I don't hate him.

    That's great.


    I see why you need me to though.


    Really? Why? please explain. Thank you.


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  2. #72
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,955

    Re: Is rush limbaugh serious?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    I know, but people are making excuses for Rush's doctor shopping.
    So your argument is that since OTHER people are making excuses for his doctor shopping that makes RUSH a hypocrite.

    I'm sorry IT, you're argument is filled with as many holes as swiss cheese.
    You down with TPP?

  3. #73
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    America (A.K.A., a red state)
    Last Seen
    09-24-13 @ 11:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,317

    Re: Is rush limbaugh serious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I think he truly is conservative...but he probably exaggerates his beliefs a bit for money. Saying outrageous things boosts his ratings.

    Same with Ann Coulter.
    This is precisely my view.

    Also, a lot of what he says is facetious, to demonstrate a point. But most liberals never realize this because the partisan propaganda mills that spoon-feed them their talking points (Media Matters, FAIR, ThinkProgress, MoveOn, etc.) regularly take unmistakably facetious comments of his and deliberately misrepresent them as literal, serious statements of his opinion.

    The "post-partisan" candidate for "change" even did this in a reprehensibly dishonest campaign ad in 2008, smearing John "Amnesty" McCain as racist for agreeing with Rush Limbaugh, who had railed about “…stupid and unskilled Mexicans” and had told them, "You shut your mouth or you get out!”

    The problem with this of course, other than the fact that McCain is completely opposite of Rush on immigration and almost everything else, is that these quotes were from a facetious Rush rant where he was pretending to endorse all the immigration policies that Mexico enacts (which are insanely intolerant of illegal immigrants) to make the point that the Mexican government is in no place to smear us as inhumane for enforcing our already incredibly lax immigration laws. Even ABC and the Politico chastised Obama for his disgustingly sleazy partisanship on this one:

    Political Punch: From the Fact Check Desk: Obama's New Spanish Language TV Ad Es Erróneo

    By the way, notice how Obama spent the entire campaign sniveling and crying about guilt-by-association for people noticing his terrible character judgment, while preaching about "gutter politics," yet the very centerpiece of his own campaign was the constant use of ACTUAL guilt-by-association (Bush-McCain, Bush-McCain, Bush-McCain), even when there was absolutely no basis for it?



    Must be nice to be able to say anything, no matter how outrageously false, and never be held accountable.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner (paraphrasing James Bovard).

  4. #74
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    66,689

    Re: Is rush limbaugh serious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Really? Who is making excuses for his doctor shopping.


    Please quote and link.


    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    the addiction is scientifically the same, but i do not think people who get perscribed medication and suffer the side affect of addiction are in the same boat as someone who chooses to do recreational drugs and get addicted.
    You are rationalizing here. Once you are addicted how you got there is irrelevant. It goes against personal responsibility to think it's somehow different because your dealer has a PhD. He had to lie to continue to get prescriptions. He had a valid excuse to start taking the drug. But he didn't ask his doctor for help to get off of it. Alcoholics have legitimate reasons for starting to use. It's how they deal with their addiction that people judge. The same standard applies here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



  5. #75
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    66,689

    Re: Is rush limbaugh serious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So your argument is that since OTHER people are making excuses for his doctor shopping that makes RUSH a hypocrite.

    I'm sorry IT, you're argument is filled with as many holes as swiss cheese.
    No, Zyph, did Rush waive treatment so he could be sent up the river?

    That is his hypocrisy.

    The other quote is others' hypocrisy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



  6. #76
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    66,689

    Re: Is rush limbaugh serious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    That's great.






    Really? Why? please explain. Thank you.
    It gives you a motive to build your case against me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



  7. #77
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    68,004

    Re: Is rush limbaugh serious?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    You are rationalizing here. Once you are addicted how you got there is irrelevant. It goes against personal responsibility to think it's somehow different because your dealer has a PhD. He had to lie to continue to get prescriptions. He had a valid excuse to start taking the drug. But he didn't ask his doctor for help to get off of it. Alcoholics have legitimate reasons for starting to use. It's how they deal with their addiction that people judge. The same standard applies here.




    It is completley relevant. Like I said, I was perscribed enough Diladids to get me addicted 3 fold. Had that happened, it would be a far cry different than choosing to go out, buy an illegal substance, use it to get high, then get addicted.

    That said, It would be my own damn fault for being addicted and doctor shopping as it was Rush's.

    He owned up to it. Imaging if all you lefties treated all those addicted the way you bloviate on about him.


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  8. #78
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    68,004

    Re: Is rush limbaugh serious?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    It gives you a motive to build your case against me.




    This is just dumb. Sorry.


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  9. #79
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    66,689

    Re: Is rush limbaugh serious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    What was your point about



    Is this back to the topic of the thread in regards to if he believes what he says, or is it something to do with the current topic?

    Essentially, he was saying the asme thing many conservatives did. There were a LOT of things being done by republicans over the past 8 years that we were unhappy about. And Rush, like others, DID talk about those things negatively. But, when the time came for election season, if it came down to that republican we were unhappy with and a democrat he would back that republican fully. And year after year he, and other conservatives, continued to do it with hopes it'd start moving back right and year after year we were getting the same bad results.

    His rant there came partially out of frustration it seemed, and partially out of entertainment hoping it'd cause a stir (which worked at the time). But I don't think its an inconsistancy in stance, nor does it show he doesn't mean what he says. He was doing the same as you, and many others, have stated we have to do sometimes...support the lesser of two evils. His rant was in frustration of having to do such instead of having a chance to support someone he actually likes.
    I understand what you are saying. I don't support Pelosi. I can't stand her really. She's toxic. I wouldn't carry water for her no matter what. I'm sure there are things I agree with her on. I despise her attitude and tactics. Rush on the other hand would carry her water. I don't have to feel liberated because I don't carry water for those that are on my "team" if I don't think they deserve it. I believe that is the difference between choosing a lesser evil and being a sycophant.

    Remember, I voted for Nader.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



  10. #80
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,367

    Re: Is rush limbaugh serious?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Tucker, while I agree that he did take responsibility for his addiction, he had made comments about addicts that made him look hypocritical in light of his own situation.
    I don't know, IT. There's some truth in what he is saying in this one:

    Every time you go back, you are making a personal choice. I feel very strongly about that.’... What he’s saying is that if there’s a line of cocaine here, I have to make the choice to go down and sniff it….And his point is that we are rationalizing all this irresponsibility and all the choices people are making and we’re blaming not them, but society for it.
    I think he actually admitted as much. Where I would have a problem is if he tried to defend his own actions and pass them off without recognizing the same thing about himself with regards to them. But in truth, I haven't found anything that shows that he didn't hold that view of his own drug use. His commetns seem to say that he feels the same way, even with regard to his own actions.

    That's not necessarily hypocrisy. It only becomes hypocricy if he tries to treat his own actions differently than he does other people's actions.


    Now, I would prefer to hear the full context of this comment:

    [He’s] another dead drug addict.
    Before I vilify Rush over it. Was it said in a "It's such a pity, he's just another dead drug addict" fashion or was it said with a degree of "glee" over Garcia's death? If said with glee, he was being a total asshole, but not necessarily a hypocrite. He might have felt that the same statement would apply to himself if he had died during his period of drug use.

    I cannot necessarily make a claim to hypocricy on that comment alone.



    On this quote:

    And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up. What this says to me is that too many whites are getting away with drug use. Too many whites are getting away with drug sales. Too many whites are getting away with trafficking in this stuff. The answer to this disparity is not to start letting people out of jail because we’re not putting others in jail who are breaking the law. The answer is to go out and find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them and send them up the river, too.
    He in effect says he should have gone to jail for his actions.

    One could easily argue the fact that he fought so hard against the charges, and accepted treatment in liue of jail-time, even after admitting responsibility for hi sactions, implies he was acting in a hypocritical manner.

    I would like to know if he still holds the views regarding jail-time for addicts or if he has softened on that stance.

    There is no difference in illegally obtaining prescription drugs and illegally obtaining other drugs. His argument was that breaking the law for drugs should be punishable by jail-time. He clearly broke laws in order to obtain his drugs. Seems pretty clear that if he still holds these views, or he held them and espoused them while he was addicted and illegally obtaining drugs, he deserves to be called a hypocrite.

    Also, if he treats illegally obtaining prescription drugs as more forgivable than illegally obtaining other drugs, he is engaging in hypocricy. Since the statemnts above were never qualified regarding the type of drugs, only in the legality of obtaining them, the argument for "hypocricy" would be sound if he still stands by the comments.



    P.S. What I would like to see more than anything else, is if Limbaugh ever made derisive comments about Elvis' drug use, or other prescription drug abusers, prior to Rush's "outing" for drug use. But if he made sympathetic comments about prescription drug-abuse, I would have to say that even if he still holds the all of the quoted views regarding drug use above, he couldn't necesarily be labelled a hypocrite in any circumstance because he has always made a distinction.

    That would be interesting to find out, if possible.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •