View Poll Results: Would direct democracy be suitable for the U.S.A.?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, all over the U.S.

    5 15.63%
  • Yes, in some states

    1 3.13%
  • No

    26 81.25%
  • Dunno

    0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Direct democracy in the USA?

  1. #11
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Direct democracy in the USA?

    As a retired HW design engineer, married to an SW engineer, and the son of artists I have seen and found that you try, in the lab, many things before you find what works well.
    What I found, especially as design engineer, is that the majority typically doesn't know what will work best; they just think the proper thing to do is obvious. Obvious solutions are seldom the best one, all things considered. With direct democracy the group will more often support the obvious answer not one of the better answers. The majority can take a look at a proposal by those they trust and those that have done their 'lab' work and can give a clear result and process that will work to get to the desired result.

    I could have worked on this post some more, but I don't have time. So it's not the best explanation.
    Last edited by OhIsee.Then; 09-26-13 at 11:50 AM.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Direct democracy in the USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    No. Representative government is proving to be too much of a challenge for a population that insists on voting without grasping the issues. Direct democracy would crash and burn almost at once.
    I thought that an inhabitant of a small village would think otherwise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    The more politicians rely on favorability and opinion polls, the more I think we may already have a direct democracy of sorts.
    However polls cannot substitute elections since they can be manipulated.

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    I could have worked on this post some more, but I don't have time. So it's not the best explanation.
    That was a fine answer, thank you. I think I got your point.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: Direct democracy in the USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    However polls cannot substitute elections since they can be manipulated.
    Don't kid yourself because voting can be manipulated, too.

  4. #14
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Direct democracy in the USA?

    democracy is the most vile form of government-- james madison

  5. #15
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,992

    Re: Direct democracy in the USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    democracy is the most vile form of government-- james madison
    "Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely. The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education."

    Franklin D. Roosevelt

    "We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    Louis D. Brandeis

  6. #16
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Direct democracy in the USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    "Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely. The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education."

    Franklin D. Roosevelt

    "We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    Louis D. Brandeis
    no you cant have democracy, because its fails, because it concentrates all direct power into the hands of the people, and ...that is a bad thing.

    why do you think the founders did not choose democracy for America?......becuase it will not last.

    federalist 47--The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in the same hands, whether of one, a few, or many, and whether hereditary, selfappointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny.
    Last edited by Master PO; 09-26-13 at 07:25 PM.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,992

    Re: Direct democracy in the USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    no you cant have democracy, because its fails, because it concentrates all direct power into the hands of the people, and ...that is a bad thing.

    why do you think the founders did not choose democracy for America?......becuase it will not last.

    federalist 47--The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in the same hands, whether of one, a few, or many, and whether hereditary, selfappointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny.
    we are a democratic republic if i am not mistaken.

    "Let us never forget that government is ourselves and not an alien power over us. The ultimate rulers of our democracy are not a President and senators and congressmen and government officials, but the voters of this country."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

  8. #18
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Direct democracy in the USA?

    Marxism holds that "democracy is the road to socialism," as Karl Marx believed (although no one can find this line in his complete works), democracy being Greek for "rules of the masses."

    Democracy is indispensable to socialism--Vladimir Lenin

  9. #19
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Direct democracy in the USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    we are a democratic republic if i am not mistaken.

    "Let us never forget that government is ourselves and not an alien power over us. The ultimate rulers of our democracy are not a President and senators and congressmen and government officials, but the voters of this country."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

    WRONG?...you have been lead to believe something which is not true!


    article 4 section 4 of the u.s. constitution--The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened), against domestic Violence.


    what is republican government?............. it is mixed constitution


    The Federalist No. 40
    On the Powers of the Convention to Form a Mixed Government Examined and Sustained
    New York Packet
    Friday, January 18, 1788
    [James Madison]
    To the People of the State of New York:

    THE second point to be examined is, whether the [constitutional] convention were authorized to frame and propose this mixed Constitution.

    Mixed government, also known as a mixed constitution, is a form of government that integrates elements of democracy, aristocracy, and monarchy. In a mixed government, some issues (often defined in a constitution) are decided by the majority of the people, some other issues by few, and some other issues by a single person (also often defined in a constitution). The idea is commonly treated as an antecedent of separation of powers.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,992

    Re: Direct democracy in the USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    WRONG?...you have been lead to believe something which is not true!


    article 4 section 4 of the u.s. constitution--The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened), against domestic Violence.


    what is republican government?............. it is mixed constitution


    The Federalist No. 40
    On the Powers of the Convention to Form a Mixed Government Examined and Sustained
    New York Packet
    Friday, January 18, 1788
    [James Madison]
    To the People of the State of New York:

    THE second point to be examined is, whether the [constitutional] convention were authorized to frame and propose this mixed Constitution.

    Mixed government, also known as a mixed constitution, is a form of government that integrates elements of democracy, aristocracy, and monarchy. In a mixed government, some issues (often defined in a constitution) are decided by the majority of the people, some other issues by few, and some other issues by a single person (also often defined in a constitution). The idea is commonly treated as an antecedent of separation of powers.
    barkmann, if the founding fathers hated democracy, they would not have put into the Constitution the ammendment process the led to the creation of the 17th ammendment and the direct election's of senators.

    how can you explain how the original ideas of Madison and Jefferson changed with the coming of progressives such as Teddy Roosevelt, Franklin Delano roosevelt, and Robert La Follette.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •