View Poll Results: Should the Tea Party break away and form an official party?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    27 64.29%
  • No

    13 30.95%
  • Maybe

    2 4.76%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Should the Tea Party break away and form an official party?

  1. #11
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Should the Tea Party break away and form an official party?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    I disagree. Republicans need to try to be seen to represent a wider diversity of American voters or they'll watch their party sink into irrelevance. Surgery's needed- they need to separate themselves from the 'tea party' radicals.
    I don't see the democrat party separating themselves from the leftist radicals that are running their show.

  2. #12
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,448
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should the Tea Party break away and form an official party?

    Quote Originally Posted by FederalRepublic View Post
    I don't see the democrat party separating themselves from the leftist radicals that are running their show.
    Neither do I. Maybe either the 'leftist radicals' are figments of your imagination or, if they're real, they don't cost the party votes.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  3. #13
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should the Tea Party break away and form an official party?

    The Tea Party was basically a Fox New creation in the election season and is vanishing away.

  4. #14
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should the Tea Party break away and form an official party?

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Great idea,split up and fight each other like cats and dogs. A few tell-all books would be nice. Start doing that immediately.

    That will be good for the Democrats.

    It would be like what the Green Party did to Al Gore and H Ross Perot did to W. Bush.

  5. #15
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: Should the Tea Party break away and form an official party?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Should the Tea Party break away from the Republicans and form an official political party?
    Establishment republicans should re-join their Democrat party and Conservatives should establish the Tea Party. We need to get back to a true two-party system.
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

  6. #16
    Advisor aberrant85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Last Seen
    10-04-15 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    594

    Re: Should the Tea Party break away and form an official party?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    Neither do I. Maybe either the 'leftist radicals' are figments of your imagination or, if they're real, they don't cost the party votes.
    It's both. Democrats almost never play to their "liberal base" because it wouldn't matter anyway. A few radicals will vote for the Green party, and the rest will grumble and vote Democrat because the alternative is far worse.

    For whatever reason, Republicans don't get that about their base. They think that they have to appease the furthest right wing of their party, despite the fact that they will vote Republican in the end no matter what. The only logical reason they listen to them in the first place is because individual Congressmen will be "primaried" and then lose to the next guy in line. I don't know why Democrats don't have to worry about this, maybe it's because the tempers of Republican and Democratic voters is just that pronounced.
    "Obamacare delenda est"

  7. #17
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Should the Tea Party break away and form an official party?

    I'm starting think that maybe they should, but in such a way that they seize as many assets of the Republican Party: funds, property, the John McCain animatronic, as possible.

    That is, the sane wing of the party ought to create a fission, not a bunch of individuals walking away and starting from scratch.
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  8. #18
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,448
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should the Tea Party break away and form an official party?

    Quote Originally Posted by aberrant85 View Post
    It's both. Democrats almost never play to their "liberal base" because it wouldn't matter anyway. A few radicals will vote for the Green party, and the rest will grumble and vote Democrat because the alternative is far worse.

    For whatever reason, Republicans don't get that about their base. They think that they have to appease the furthest right wing of their party, despite the fact that they will vote Republican in the end no matter what. The only logical reason they listen to them in the first place is because individual Congressmen will be "primaried" and then lose to the next guy in line. I don't know why Democrats don't have to worry about this, maybe it's because the tempers of Republican and Democratic voters is just that pronounced.
    It's like that joke about the two guys going into bear country- "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you!" So long as the Republicans pander to the radical right they're abandoning a slice of the centre to the Democrats.
    Last edited by Grand Mal; 09-27-13 at 12:39 AM. Reason: spelling
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  9. #19
    Advisor aberrant85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Last Seen
    10-04-15 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    594

    Re: Should the Tea Party break away and form an official party?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    It's like that joke about the two guys going into bear country- "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you!" So long as the Republicans pander to the radical right they're abandoning a slice of the centre to the Democrats.
    No kidding. If the Democrats appeased their extreme flank as much as the Republicans do, they'd be introducing bills that ban carbon emissions, provide universal healthcare, raise the top income tax bracket to 90%, end the WTO, make all drugs legal, ban discrimination of any kind, and reintroduce the Equal Rights Amendment.
    "Obamacare delenda est"

  10. #20
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Should the Tea Party break away and form an official party?

    No, however it should be clear to all that the moderate / establishment has had their way in the last two Pres elections, nominating moderates McCain and Romney. The mantra has been that conservatives had to tow the party line, hold their nose and vote moderate because we need the independents. I think it's time that the moderates, who have proven that their political assessment is in correct, should hold their nose and vote conservative this time around. I believe independent people are more attracted to principled leaders than squishy blow with the wind types.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •