View Poll Results: Should owning property be a requirement to vote

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, only property owners should vote

    10 10.00%
  • no, let everyone vote

    90 90.00%
Page 8 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 654

Thread: Only property owners should vote

  1. #71
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,883
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Not nearly as much as property owners no. You pay month to month and have nothing to lose. Someone who bought a home put money down, they pay a mortgage, they make improvements, they have the pride of ownership and have a lot to lose. You can shrug your shoulders and walk away, see the difference?
    I find it hilarious how you think that I would suddenly become a Red blooded America loving patriot if I just went out right now and bought an acre of land.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  2. #72
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,020

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Why 18? Why not 16?
    18 is the age of majority. When you're 18, you are granted a whole series of rights and privileges.

    I see no reason whatsoever why 21 is better than 18 in this respect.

  3. #73
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    If you already own land why would you vote for policy that eases demands on borrowers?
    Because you are paying a mortgage. Farmers and shopkeepers who were paying mortgages and were given the right to vote demanded the government force creditors (banks) to make them pay less on their loans.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  4. #74
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    If you own property you own part of America and you want America to succeed. If you don't own property you are far more likely to vote for what is in your best interest instead of what is in America's best interest.
    I question the moral right of properly ownership.....after all, the property was all but stolen from the original inhabitents..
    I do not think people should own land....
    As far as "wanting America to succeed" , I do not think that property owners have an exclusive on this...
    I think that everyone wishes to succeed....however this is defined....
    Sawyer, I think you are assuming too much.....
    I'd say that most people (left and right) vote for what is in THEIR best interests...
    Has such a question ever been polled ?
    And, should not the peoples best interest and America's best interest be one and the same ???

  5. #75
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    If you own property you own part of America and you want America to succeed. If you don't own property you are far more likely to vote for what is in your best interest instead of what is in America's best interest.
    1. What's in "America's best interest" cannot often be objectively measured. I believe it is in American's best interest to stop intervening in conflicts overseas and legalize gay marriage nationally. Other people will disagree.

    2. Most people I know who own property don't think of it as "owning a part of America." It isn't some patriotic thing. They needed/wanted a house. They bought the house. End of story. It doesn't increase their desire to help "America." Unless you have some research that demonstrates the veracity of your assumption that property ownership increases ones desire to vote in America's interest, your argument doesn't hold water.

    3. Plenty of property owners vote primarily, if not solely, for what's in their best interest. You really think the property-owning executives at Fortune 500 companies vote for tax breaks for America? Really? No.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    The problem with your argument is that it 1) assumes property ownership is an adequate measure of responsibility, 2) assumes that people come to own property primarily, or solely, because of hard work, and 3) assumes that the values you attribute to property owners are what the qualifications for voting should be measured by.
    Property ownership means nothing now a days. I know many people who rent because their jobs take them all over. Why do a mortgage ever few years or have to sell a house every time you move?
    Plus, renting can be even more of a responsibility. Its someone elses home and you have to take care of it.

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    So few words, so many fundamental errors...

    Voting is a right. Not a privilege. Owning property is not a valid proxy for "good citizenship."
    Owning property is certainly not an indicator of intelligence or wisdom.
    Do you intend to disenfranchise people who inherited land?
    Property owners certainly aren't going to vote your way. If they did, Obama would not be President right now.

    More critically, it is not acceptable, and profoundly un-American, to say that "only people who I expect to act like X get to vote." The reality is that when citizens are free, they are going to make decisions that you personally do not agree with. That is the essence of liberty in a society -- not just "I get to do what I want," but also allowing others to make their own choices about how to be governed and how to live.



    ...no, we require people to obey laws for a variety of reasons, including securing the safety of citizens. States often revoke the *cough* right to vote as an additional punishment.
    Voting is not a right, but a privilege granted or withheld at the discretion of local and state governments.

  8. #78
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Kool. We get to vote 5 times! (That's if condos count, 4 otherwise.)
    (Yup, and it should be limited to people that own property free and clear.
    We have one mortgage on one property.)
    Yup, we would get to vote 4 times in one state and once in another.
    I'd even be for allowing people that own 100% of two or more real properties to vote.
    Last edited by OhIsee.Then; 09-25-13 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Forgot the one mortgage!

  9. #79
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Property ownership means nothing now a days. I know many people who rent because their jobs take them all over. Why do a mortgage ever few years or have to sell a house every time you move?
    Plus, renting can be even more of a responsibility. Its someone elses home and you have to take care of it.
    Yeah. I know that property ownership was a huge deal in the past, but it's definitely become less so recently, especially given how many people live in cities or live in places temporarily.

  10. #80
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Just outside of the Middle of Nowhere
    Last Seen
    04-06-14 @ 12:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    61

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    I question the moral right of properly ownership.....after all, the property was all but stolen from the original inhabitents..
    I do not think people should own land....
    As far as "wanting America to succeed" , I do not think that property owners have an exclusive on this...
    I think that everyone wishes to succeed....however this is defined....
    Sawyer, I think you are assuming too much.....
    I'd say that most people (left and right) vote for what is in THEIR best interests...
    Has such a question ever been polled ?
    And, should not the peoples best interest and America's best interest be one and the same ???
    No. All Property was fought for. The looser through out history got killed, got removed, or became citizens of the new owners. Its a argument that ticks me off alot. In europe, asia, africa, austrialia it was more or less fine that people got removed from there land due to theft, loss in war, treason, and trickery. but in north and south america its the worst ever? And the native people where fighting and tradeing territory long before the europeans showed up.
    As far as should Property owners have exclusive votes... I'm more along the lines of vote should be limited to those that want to pay a set % of there income. Like 10% so the people that don't care at all or don't add anything to the system don't get a vote just "cuz". But anyone that wants to can. You want a say in the country pay for it.
    Its the problem of that the vote of someone who spent hours doing 'homework' on the subjects and politics, has the same power as the vote just cuz the R or D, or something even more stupid. ( I like this one's race, or becuase I hated the other guys race. etc)
    If there is a cost to voteing it won't elemenate knee jerk voteing but it will limit it to the people that actually care.
    (but you would have to be very careful as it could be abused)

Page 8 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •