View Poll Results: Should owning property be a requirement to vote

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, only property owners should vote

    10 10.00%
  • no, let everyone vote

    90 90.00%
Page 62 of 66 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast
Results 611 to 620 of 654

Thread: Only property owners should vote

  1. #611
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    And the inherent unfairness of that is to so limit what is being discussed as to render a discussion of taxation utterly ridiculous unless all forms are included.

    my statement was clear........not every citizen pays federal income, and i stated that clearly, ......so for someone to go outside my statement, and say people pay taxes using a general statement, to counter mine, is incorrect and ......a slight of hand act.

  2. #612
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    sorry but you are incorrect, because you did not stay with me on taxes.........i stated income tax........not sales, or property , or any other, ......but income.

    there are citizens who pay no federal income tax, but receive a tax rebate, for child earned income tax credit.

    paying no income taxes, but receiving money from government via a check........and voting.

    explain why a citizen, who pays no federal income tax as others do, should receive and equal in a federal election?
    Even income taxes. Those who don't pay net income taxes change from year to year. Votes are only held every so many years, particularly for higher offices. It is wrong to say that people do not get their right to vote simply because during a voting year, or any one voting year, they didn't pay net income taxes. That simply isn't realistic.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #613
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    In some elections we struggle to get as much as 20% eligible voter turnout. It appears that some would be happy if we had only 5% turnout, as long as it was the right 5%... their 5%.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #614
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    In some elections we struggle to get as much as 20% eligible voter turnout. It appears that some would be happy if we had only 5% turnout, as long as it was the right 5%... their 5%.
    Which is basically what it comes down to. Some believe that if they remove some of those they view as the most likely to vote for the other side from being able to vote, it means they are more likely to get what they want. The problem is that they don't realize that many of those who would fit into the category they want to lose the vote would be those that would vote for their side. It isn't as simple as "those who don't pay taxes vote democrat, while those who do vote republican". In fact, it is not even close.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #615
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Which is basically what it comes down to. Some believe that if they remove some of those they view as the most likely to vote for the other side from being able to vote, it means they are more likely to get what they want. The problem is that they don't realize that many of those who would fit into the category they want to lose the vote would be those that would vote for their side. It isn't as simple as "those who don't pay taxes vote democrat, while those who do vote republican". In fact, it is not even close.
    you have went the party way, by invoking democrat /republican.

    i didn't go that direction.

    i took Madison's direction.

  6. #616
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    you have went the party way, by invoking democrat /republican.

    i didn't go that direction.

    i took Madison's direction.
    Would you prefer conservative/progressive? Or how about rich/poor? It comes down to the fact that the majority of those who would propose such an idea, that those who don't pay net taxes should lose their vote are almost exclusively conservative, Republicans. Or at least certain types of Republicans. Not even all Republicans (or most Republicans) would take such a stance. But those people who do are almost exclusively Republicans.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #617
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Would you prefer conservative/progressive? Or how about rich/poor? It comes down to the fact that the majority of those who would propose such an idea, that those who don't pay net taxes should lose their vote are almost exclusively conservative, Republicans. Or at least certain types of Republicans. Not even all Republicans (or most Republicans) would take such a stance. But those people who do are almost exclusively Republicans.
    i prefer libertarian/classical liberal.

    a return to true republican government.

    not a government of lobbyist, redistribution, and buying of votes by government politicians, using tax money.

  8. #618
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    i prefer libertarian/classical liberal.

    a return to true republican government.

    not a government of lobbyist, redistribution, and buying of votes by government politicians, using tax money.
    Hey, I'm all for not having lobbyist or buying votes. Most of that is being done by those who pay net taxes though. It certainly isn't the poor people paying the lobbyists. It isn't the poor people buying votes.

    Libertarian then. Still a bad idea. It still is pits one side against another and disenfranchises a group of citizens simply because you want your own way and can't get enough people to agree with you to do it.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #619
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Hey, I'm all for not having lobbyist or buying votes. Most of that is being done by those who pay net taxes though. It certainly isn't the poor people paying the lobbyists. It isn't the poor people buying votes.

    Libertarian then. Still a bad idea. It still is pits one side against another and disenfranchises a group of citizens simply because you want your own way and can't get enough people to agree with you to do it.
    in the libertarian world of limited government, their are no sides, its about supreme law and what it says, and following that law................not about what people feel.

  10. #620
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Which is basically what it comes down to. Some believe that if they remove some of those they view as the most likely to vote for the other side from being able to vote, it means they are more likely to get what they want. The problem is that they don't realize that many of those who would fit into the category they want to lose the vote would be those that would vote for their side. It isn't as simple as "those who don't pay taxes vote democrat, while those who do vote republican". In fact, it is not even close.
    The more some in this thread post, the more I come to believe that's what it really is. They don't give a hoot about intelligent people voting, they simply want people who will vote their way so they can get what they want, and all the fluff is merely a way to frame it to attempt to make it acceptable to those of us who disagree.


    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    you have went the party way, by invoking democrat /republican.

    i didn't go that direction.

    i took Madison's direction.
    I have a great deal of respect for you and your opinions. I've learned something from you more than once. We agree often, but not always. That being said, it seems that everything comes back to Madison and/or the Founding Fathers, and sometimes you get on a roll and I wonder...

    ...Is there anything that Madison said or believed that you flat-out disagree with?

    Just curious.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 62 of 66 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •