View Poll Results: Should owning property be a requirement to vote

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, only property owners should vote

    10 10.00%
  • no, let everyone vote

    90 90.00%
Page 6 of 66 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 654

Thread: Only property owners should vote

  1. #51
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Wrong, congress demanding banks make loans to unqualified borrowers was the cause of the recession.
    Both bankers and borrowers are complicit in that practice whether you like it or not. Just because the government has some amount of influence in something doesn't make it the sole factor.

    It also doesn't shake the primary concern. Borrowers ARE borrowers. They don't own property or capital.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  2. #52
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    No, there are plenty of morons who pay a mortgage. What the heck do you think contributed to the recession? Idiots taking out mortgages that they couldn't really afford.
    NO
    Because that could include me ...a risk taker...
    The properties were overvalued....the banks should have seen this and been more responsible....and conservative.... in issuing mortages.....
    But, its true that we want not for "morons" , they are everywhere..

  3. #53
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,020

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    If you are on welfare will you vote for welfare reform?
    If you're a senior citizen, will you vote to cut Social Security or Medicare? Should we disenfranchise senior citizens, because they might vote for programs you might dislike?

    If they are affected by the law, then they have the right to influence the law.

    If you don't like the fact that renters have different political interests than you, that's your problem. I assure you, slagging them en masse is not going to convince them to come around to your point of view.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    [QUOTE=Ben K.;1062357134]
    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post

    Don't think the scale of the debt negates the principle that you're advocating people be in debt to secure a basic right. The banks would effectively own many peoples votes who can't outright buy a residence. Does this not seem a bit troubling to you?
    On the contrary I think people buying property so they could vote would force them into buying part of America and caring more about America than their own self interest.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,020

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    We draw lines now and not everyone gets to vote, you and I just disagree on where the line should be drawn.
    "Lines?" You have to be a citizen, over 18, and not a felon -- and felons can get voting rights restored.

    Wow, yeah, we are clearly highly discriminating in who is allowed to vote.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    If you're a senior citizen, will you vote to cut Social Security or Medicare? Should we disenfranchise senior citizens, because they might vote for programs you might dislike?

    If they are affected by the law, then they have the right to influence the law.

    If you don't like the fact that renters have different political interests than you, that's your problem. I assure you, slagging them en masse is not going to convince them to come around to your point of view.
    As long as you own property you have a vote. If you have not demonstrated the drive or ability to buy land you have not demonstrated your ability to make good decisions so you can't vote or shouldn't anyway. We require people to follow laws and not be convicted felons for this very reason.

  7. #57
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    [QUOTE=sawyerloggingon;1062357144]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post

    On the contrary I think people buying property so they could vote would force them into buying part of America and caring more about America than their own self interest.
    Arbitrarily assigning motivations and emotional responses to people you think should exist doesn't make them exist.

    To people of sufficient wealth, America is a piggybank, and just one piggybank among many.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    "Lines?" You have to be a citizen, over 18, and not a felon -- and felons can get voting rights restored.

    Wow, yeah, we are clearly highly discriminating in who is allowed to vote.
    Why 18? Why not 16?

  9. #59
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    My property includes a smartphone, a laptop, a car, a TV and an xbox. I should be able to vote right? Or are you equating property with land?
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  10. #60
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    My property includes a smartphone, a laptop, a car, a TV and an xbox. I should be able to vote right? Or are you equating property with land?
    You are definitely not allowed to vote.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

Page 6 of 66 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •