View Poll Results: Should owning property be a requirement to vote

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, only property owners should vote

    10 10.00%
  • no, let everyone vote

    90 90.00%
Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 654

Thread: Only property owners should vote

  1. #41
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:40 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,006

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    We are all citizens. The decisions of the government affect all of us. We should all get a say in the actions of government.

    And hey, why stop at voting? Why should the police require a warrant before entering a rented apartment? Why allow renters the right to speak freely, since they don't have any "skin in the game" and "hang around the fringes?"

    Good grief.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    That is an incredibly naive view point.
    If you are on welfare will you vote for welfare reform?

  3. #43
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    If you are on welfare will you vote for welfare reform?
    If you have stocks in Apple will you vote for trade reform?

    As far as I can tell, there is hardly a human being in America today who is capable of subordinating their personal interests to the public good.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    We are all citizens. The decisions of the government affect all of us. We should all get a say in the actions of government.

    And hey, why stop at voting? Why should the police require a warrant before entering a rented apartment? Why allow renters the right to speak freely, since they don't have any "skin in the game" and "hang around the fringes?"

    Good grief.
    We draw lines now and not everyone gets to vote, you and I just disagree on where the line should be drawn.

  5. #45
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,876
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    If you are on welfare will you vote for welfare reform?
    People on welfare are not a huge collective consciousness that share the same views on everything. There probably are some who would vote, and some who wouldn't.

    You really shouldn't assume.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  6. #46
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    We draw lines now and not everyone gets to vote, you and I just disagree on where the line should be drawn.
    And it makes no sense even by your own logic. Mortgage payers get to vote when mortgage payers were one of the primary causes of the 2008 recession...? How does that make things more stable?
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    If you have stocks in Apple will you vote for trade reform?

    As far as I can tell, there is hardly a human being in America today who is capable of subordinating their personal interests to the public good.
    If you are a property owner you will vote for America not for Apple so you unintentionally made my point, thank you.

  8. #48
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,383

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    The distinction seems somewhat arbitrary. People who pay mortgages don't own their homes, the banks do, and take interest on them.

    The whole point of the property owner law isn't to have a "skin in the game." Its to ensure people who have the time to invest into politics have the strongest voice on the issues, because the "laboring classes" aren't smart.
    False about people with mortgages not owning their homes. The homeowner's name is on the deed but there is a lien on the property.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    And it makes no sense even by your own logic. Mortgage payers get to vote when mortgage payers were one of the primary causes of the 2008 recession...? How does that make things more stable?
    Wrong, congress demanding banks make loans to unqualified borrowers was the cause of the recession.

  10. #50
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    [QUOTE=sawyerloggingon;1062357109]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post

    Get mortgages you can afford, problem solved.
    Don't think the scale of the debt negates the principle that you're advocating people be in debt to secure a basic right. The banks would effectively own many peoples votes who can't outright buy a residence. Does this not seem a bit troubling to you?

Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •