View Poll Results: Should owning property be a requirement to vote

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, only property owners should vote

    10 10.00%
  • no, let everyone vote

    90 90.00%
Page 48 of 66 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 654

Thread: Only property owners should vote

  1. #471
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    ah OK -there aren't that many hollyweird libertines who vote dem in reaction to the bible thumpers.

    One of the most influential conservative Legal minds in the USA used to be a SAG member. He said most actors tend to be lefties for two reasons

    a) they despise the religious right (and its not just because hollywood was one of the first places where Jews could achieve based on merit and talent)

    b) because many of them realize that in person-they aren't near the people they portray and they want to be loved so they adopt a political agenda they think will make them popular with the masses

    voting for your wallet can be seen as well informed.
    Point is there are many uninformed wealthy voters too. Just because a person is poor doesn't make them stupid.

  2. #472
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Nope, I don't want the government to have the power to strip any of us of any of our rights.
    Too bad because that's the way it is. Any right the gov gives they can take away. That is why the "God given rights" our founders spelled out are so important and voting is never defined as a God given right.

  3. #473
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    You would need to read my initial post. SS and Medicare are forced insurance programs, not entitlement, neither are military retirement benefits an "entitlement"...
    Well, that may be your definition of entitlement programs. It is not, however, the actual definition of entitlement programs. This is the actual definition:

    Entitlement program | Define Entitlement program at Dictionary.com

    Under that definition, social security and any military benefits program is an entitlement program. This is the problem with you guys on the Far Right. You use terms that you hear on Sewer Radio without having any actual idea what they mean. Dictionaries are wonderful things. You might try buying one.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  4. #474
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,257

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Don't forget "free higher education".

    Only property owners should vote-cannabis_leaf-gif


    I think that may top a list, but in the Ivy League schools they will want to snag aderall as well.

  5. #475
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well I posted a link, and that data is updated as of 9/10/2013, according to my link.
    It accomplishes this low number by purposely excluding a lot of social assistance programs that meet the general definition of welfare. When I refer to (social) welfare I don't exclude more than half of them by calling them something else, I include all of them.

    I disagree entirely. Like others have pointed, there are state and federal benefits that rich people also receive.
    My proposal applies to them as well. It is about dependence on statutory aid administered by the government we vote for. It doesn't matter how much money a person has or does not have -- their vote should be weighted according to how independently they meet their own needs.

  6. #476
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    You know what makes this whole property thing even funnier: I would take all my acres, divide them up into tiny chunks, and sell that off as 'Voting Plots' - I could even erect a plaque. "This voting plot is in honor of ___" It would be like a cemetery for our rightfully granted rights.

    It would become a tourist attraction.

    . . . And I'd donate the money to charity and write it off on my taxes . . . and further a cause to overthrow such a ridiculous law.
    Always someone who wants to scam the system.

  7. #477
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Point is there are many uninformed wealthy voters too. Just because a person is poor doesn't make them stupid.
    true enough. but poor people tend to be more easily seduced with promises of ice cream and candy that some politicians put out

    VOTE FOR ME and I WILL GIVE YOU SOMETHING FREE



  8. #478
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    This idea would disenfranchise the vast majority of our military. They absolutely do not own their own land for a reason. They can get shipped overseas or to another state within a couple of years and generally every 4-5 years, depending on their branch of service.

    This is a horrid idea. And it absolutely fails on a lot of assumptions it makes.

    Property owners are not more responsible than non-property owners (which really should say "land-owners" since most people own some property, which is anything). Many people inherit at least some of their land. And renting can show a lot of responsibility to not do something they cannot afford, such as purchasing a home prior to being in a position to actually be able to afford it. You would disenfranchise many young people, particularly in their 20s (which I would bet is one of the goals of such a ridiculous suggestion).

    If anything should be a requirement for voting or full citizenship it should be a certain amount of time of civil service/duty, such as teaching, military service, federal service, police work, being a firefighter, or some other public good job.
    That's the problem with coming in so late on a thread. You can't be expected to read 400 post but that has been addressed over and over. Military service gets you the right to vote.

  9. #479
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    It accomplishes this low number by purposely excluding a lot of social assistance programs that meet the general definition of welfare. When I refer to (social) welfare I don't exclude more than half of them by calling them something else, I include all of them.
    Oh really? Do you have an links or documentation to back up your allegations?


    My proposal applies to them as well. It is about dependence on statutory aid administered by the government we vote for. It doesn't matter how much money a person has or does not have -- their vote should be weighted according to how independently they meet their own needs.
    Again, that does not constitute a low information voter. This is all only your opinion and nothing more.

  10. #480
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Actually it is because it is impossible to truly measure how responsible a person is truly being. Responsibility is a concept, not a measurable thing. And everyone is irresponsible at one time or another within their adult life. And what is responsible or not is in fact arbitrary. Some would say that earning money is responsible, while others would say that being a good citizen and helping others is being responsible. Irresponsibility is easier to determine than responsibility, but even irresponsibility is not able to be truly measured. Is someone being irresponsible because they hit a lot of bad luck that they did everything within their power to try to predict but still came up short?
    How responsible is a convicted felon? We don't let them vote. How responsible is a crack whore with a bunch of illegitimate kids? Should we let her vote? REALLY???

Page 48 of 66 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •