View Poll Results: Should owning property be a requirement to vote

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, only property owners should vote

    10 10.00%
  • no, let everyone vote

    90 90.00%
Page 46 of 66 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 654

Thread: Only property owners should vote

  1. #451
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Most people aren't choosing to live on welfare.
    Yes they are, literally. What you're saying would be like me saying "I'm not choosing to come to work," which is technically not accurate because I could quit my job at any moment. My expression that "I have to go to work" is based on the opinion or belief that "I must go to work in order to ________." People feel like they have no choice but to accept welfare (so to speak) not because they literally don't have that choice, but because for them it seems like the easiest or most predictable way available to them to get a particular need met. That does not mean they are literally forced (without choice) to sign up for the benefit(s).

    I can't have my cake and eat it too. Going to work does not strip me of my right to liberty. I chose to trade my liberty (between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM Monday through Friday) for money. Similarly, people choosing a status of dependence on government-administered assistance should knowingly be trading in corresponding weight of their vote, as a basic, rational protection against the main drawback of democracy.

    There are ALWAYS going to be poor people. There always have been and always will be. It is wrong to punish people for being poor.
    My idea to weigh votes according to financial independence has nothing to do with how much money a person has. It has to do with how much they opt to lean on government-administered assistance to meet their basic needs.
    Last edited by Neomalthusian; 09-26-13 at 06:43 PM.

  2. #452
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    I admit I am very ignorant about human eugenic efforts. However the only real eugenic programs that I am aware of were small short term programs that I personally would only consider token efforts. I would appreciate any further information that would support your statement.
    I'm no more of an expert than you, but the ideas of eugenics that focused on arbitrary characteristics (e.g. skin color or race) I consider "failed" because of the rise of multiculturalism, civil rights, and globalization.

    Wikipedia has a pretty good page about the history of eugenics.

  3. #453
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Yes they are, literally. What you're saying would be like me saying "I'm not choosing to come to work," which is technically not accurate because I could quit my job at any moment. My expression that "I have to go to work" is based on the opinion or belief that "I must go to work in order to ________." People feel like they have no choice but to accept welfare (so to speak) not because they literally don't have that choice, but because for them it seems like the easiest or most predictable way available to them to get a particular need met. That does not mean they are literally forced (without choice) to sign up for the benefit(s).

    I can't have my cake and eat it too. Going to work does not strip me of my right to liberty. I chose to trade my liberty (between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM Monday through Friday) for money. Similarly, people choosing a status of dependence on government-administered assistance should knowingly be trading in corresponding weight of their vote, as a basic, rational protection against the main drawback of democracy.



    My idea to weigh votes according to financial independence has nothing to do with how much money a person has. It has to do with how much they opt to lean on government-administered assistance to meet their basic needs.
    Don't you understand the fact that only 4.1% of people are collecting welfare? Or the fact that the economy absolutely blows, and a lot of people's positions have been terminated, and a lot of people cannot find jobs? What should they do? Starve?

  4. #454
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,917

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    really, what do you call a kid that mooches off his parents and the government until he/she is 30? responsible?
    So anyone who doesn't have a net income tax burden is a "kid that mooches off his parents and the government until he/she is 30"?
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  5. #455
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,779

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The people who spout this crap are NEVER able to define such a difference with any actual formula that can be applied to each person to make that determination. It is simply right wing rhetoric based on a desire to disenfranchise the people who do not vote the way they want them to.
    just because drawing the line is difficult does not prove that there is no difference

    the fact is, people that your party want to tax more are clearly net tax payers.

    and the people who tend to lap up welfare socialist nonsense are net tax consumers.

    where is the line? I don't know but someone paying 100K in Federal income taxes or who is hit by the death tax is clearly on the NET TAX PAYER side of the ledger


    and those in the bottom 25% are almost guaranteed to be net tax consumers

    because we don't know the actual line (and of course its not going to be the same for everyone) does not mean there aren't NTPs and NTCs

    the Democratic propaganda plays to net tax consumers-GOP claims are targeted at net tax payers



  6. #456
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Why is that all the important polls are anonymous but the stupid ones about what color eyes do you like aren't? I'm much more interested in who is voting here.

  7. #457
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Why is that all the important polls are anonymous but the stupid ones about what color eyes do you like aren't? I'm much more interested in who is voting here.
    I do that when I make polls. Because... those who know deep down that their opinion is repugnant and selfish won't vote if they have to stand behind it. I take the trade-off of (hopefully) getting a poll result closer to reality.

    (Some will, most won't)
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #458
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I do that when I make polls. Because... those who know deep down that their opinion is repugnant and selfish won't vote if they have to stand behind it. I take the trade-off of (hopefully) getting a poll result closer to reality.

    (Some will, most won't)
    I guess so. Although people here on this thread seem to not be shy about expressing their opinions.

  9. #459
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,020

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    You don't pay fed taxes until you reach a certain income level. Working after school flipping burgers does not reach that threshold, you get virtually all your taxes back.
    Oh, you mean because of the Earned Income Tax Credit? The tax break originally formulated by arch-libertarian Milton Friedman? Passed into law by Ronald Reagan? Passed and revised for decades with bipartisan support?

    When those laws were written and passed, did anyone say "by the way, anyone who collects EITC should be disenfranchised?" Reagan certainly didn't:

    "Several months ago in a speech, I said that voting was the most sacred right of free men and women. I pledged that as long as I am in a position to uphold the Constitution, no barrier would ever come between a secret ballot and the citizen's right to cast one. Today I am reaffirming that commitment.

    For this Nation to remain true to its principles, we cannot allow any American's vote to be denied, diluted, or defiled. The right to vote is the crown jewel of American liberties, and we will not see its luster diminished....

    Every American must know he or she can count on an equal chance and an equal vote. The decision we are announcing today benefits all of our citizens by making our democracy stronger and more available to everyone."
    (Ronald Reagan: Statement About Extension of the Voting Rights Act)


    To be a tax payer worthy of voting you should be a net contributor which a very large portion of this society is not. 47% of America pays no income tax and they should not vote until they do.
    Seriously? You want to disenfranchise half the country, because elected officials of both parties gave them a tax break?!?


    The best way to help the poor is to have a thriving economy which intelligent informed voters would be much better at creating than some welfare queen with a house full of illegitimate children.
    Yeah, that whole "disenfranchise people to help them" policy worked out really great for blacks after the Civil War.

  10. #460
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,779

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well that's true polgara, but I still don't think that children should be voting. I could only imagine the things they'd vote for.
    Good point-that is how many of us feel about low information voters who are more likely to know who won American Idol than who the chief justice of the USC is. Democrat policies have created massive numbers of dependent children who rely on government as surrogate parents.



Page 46 of 66 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •