View Poll Results: Should owning property be a requirement to vote

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, only property owners should vote

    10 10.00%
  • no, let everyone vote

    90 90.00%
Page 29 of 66 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 654

Thread: Only property owners should vote

  1. #281
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Until students are self supporting they should not have any say what so ever
    No thanks. I'll happily reject the notion that a large chunk of the future workforce should have no say in current and future policy because some would use tax receipts as the lone qualification for worthiness or "skin in the game."

  2. #282
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    What you mean?
    Your average everyday Americans are fabulously wealthy. We have easier, wealthier, lives than the vast majority of Humanity. If you are born in the United States, probably, you are the 1%.

    This is what a poor person looks like for most of humanity:



    This is what a "poor" person looks like in America:



    You'll notice about a 100lb difference.
    Last edited by cpwill; 09-25-13 at 11:12 PM.

  3. #283
    Professor
    SBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    01-18-16 @ 03:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,523

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Oh that wasn't class warfare, just tired of those who inherit their wealth complaining bitterly a TINY portion is given to the Government as taxes AND for all the wailing and self stroking rant the rich do, they are in little if ANY danger of losing the platinum status.

    Oh they don't owe a great debt, just quit bitching on the way to the Country Club they are being 'raped'...

    Not so sure the school the attended is a greater chance for success so much as the last name... I don't think BushII got where he is because of his C's in a 'good school'...

    Then again our elites are becoming an aristocracy instead of a meritocracy...

    As for what we should do with them... tell 'em to STFDASTFU- they ain't ever had is so good...
    I didn't realize there was such a outpouring of bitching going on. I'm too concerned with generating my own money to worry about anyone else' too much.

    As for the aristocracy you mention...I would agree. I'm against another Bush running or another Clinton, or Reagan, or Obama. That's more of an influence thing than it is a money thing I would say.

    I only hope that I can generate enough wealth and connections for my children to benefit from and eventually inherit. What they do with it is up to them.

  4. #284
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    many people pay taxes with money that the government gave to them.

    lots of people use far far more government resources than they pay in taxes
    it is not tax off earned income

  5. #285
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    No thanks. I'll happily reject the notion that a large chunk of the future workforce should have no say in current and future policy because some would use tax receipts as the lone qualification for worthiness or "skin in the game."
    That is what is wrong with country, everyone wants a free ride without any skin in the game

  6. #286
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Everyone has the right to vote (with the REASONABLE restrictions we have in place now), and that isn't going to change. It's a right, just like the 2nd amendment or any other of your "favorite" rights.

  7. #287
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    When George Washington was elected only 6% of the population could vote because you had to be a white male property owner over the age of 21. It wasn't until 1856 that the vote was expanded to include all white men. In 1868 black men got the vote and finally in 1920 women got the right to vote . It wasn't until 1972 that the voting age was lowered to 18 and the steady dumbing down of the voter pool was complete. Before people start screaming racist and misogynist that is not my point here. I'm fine with all races and women voting but we never should have dropped the property owner requirement and never should have lowered the voting age to 18. When you have reached a point in your life where you own property you have demonstrated the ability to participate in this society in a contributing way but the main thing is you have skin in the game. At this point you want America to be a stable functioning country that is prosperous and has an effective economy where your hard work will be rewarded and safe guarded. Kids and non property owners are going to vote on and for different issues than they will or would when they are a participating member of our economy and should not be allowed to vote until they do more than hang around the fringes. The extreme example of this is people on welfare voting and kids in school who have never had a job in their lives. These people have nothing to lose and everything to gain by voting against a thriving economy and for give away programs to benefit them and will vote in their own self interest instead of considering what is best for the country at large. IMO we should reinstate the original voting requirement of being a property owner.
    Only Jews should be allowed to vote. That I am Jewish should in no way be viewed as a deciding factor in how I arrived at that belief.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 09-25-13 at 11:37 PM.

  8. #288
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Actually, it does. Your belief only works if you count suicide as a real option. This is why your world view is so messed up. Your arguments have to go to absolute insane extremes to justify how they aren't outright wrong. Yes, your argument is correct if we count suicide as a real option. For the rest of the world, particularly the sane portion, your argument is bullocks because we don't accept suicide as a real option.
    Thanks for the personal insult, but you're wrong. The only person truly in control over the actions and thoughts of any individual is forever going to be just one person. All anyone else can ever do is coerce you to do as they desire, but they will forever be on the outside trying to control something they really can't control.


    The South says otherwise. As did the Spartans who ran their economy on slaves. Rome too.
    Your point? The opinions of fools doesn't change the fact that they can't control the body of someone else.

    That depends on how you define "own" and to which your argument will go to insane lengths to justify how it's not totally wrong.
    They did not and could not have mastery over another person.

  9. #289
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,478
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    When George Washington was elected only 6% of the population could vote because you had to be a white male property owner over the age of 21. It wasn't until 1856 that the vote was expanded to include all white men. In 1868 black men got the vote and finally in 1920 women got the right to vote . It wasn't until 1972 that the voting age was lowered to 18 and the steady dumbing down of the voter pool was complete. Before people start screaming racist and misogynist that is not my point here. I'm fine with all races and women voting but we never should have dropped the property owner requirement and never should have lowered the voting age to 18. When you have reached a point in your life where you own property you have demonstrated the ability to participate in this society in a contributing way but the main thing is you have skin in the game. At this point you want America to be a stable functioning country that is prosperous and has an effective economy where your hard work will be rewarded and safe guarded. Kids and non property owners are going to vote on and for different issues than they will or would when they are a participating member of our economy and should not be allowed to vote until they do more than hang around the fringes. The extreme example of this is people on welfare voting and kids in school who have never had a job in their lives. These people have nothing to lose and everything to gain by voting against a thriving economy and for give away programs to benefit them and will vote in their own self interest instead of considering what is best for the country at large. IMO we should reinstate the original voting requirement of being a property owner.
    Whoa. That's a revelation. I didn't know that that kind of retrograde pro-feudal reactionism could still exist. If you inherit property that your renters are paying the taxes on, you're entitled to vote but they aren't?
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  10. #290
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Thanks for the personal insult, but you're wrong. The only person truly in control over the actions and thoughts of any individual is forever going to be just one person. All anyone else can ever do is coerce you to do as they desire, but they will forever be on the outside trying to control something they really can't control.

    Your point? The opinions of fools doesn't change the fact that they can't control the body of someone else.

    They did not and could not have mastery over another person.
    Your definition of control leaves much to be desired. When you are using a definition that is outside of the English language, I can't have a discussion with you.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 29 of 66 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •