View Poll Results: Should owning property be a requirement to vote

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, only property owners should vote

    10 10.00%
  • no, let everyone vote

    90 90.00%
Page 28 of 66 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 654

Thread: Only property owners should vote

  1. #271
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    As if tax dollars are the only meaningful contribution to society. Stay at home moms, retirees and students, among others, should have their interests represented as any other.
    Until students are self supporting they should not have any say what so ever

  2. #272
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    You seem upset with the efforts of your ancestors.
    Not at all, just admire the CONvoluted mindset that thinks because they were born rich they somehow 'worked' for it.

    With all the goofy whines about the rich being raped by the gubmint for the poor they seem to be in little danger of losing their millionaire status...

  3. #273
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,663

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Not at all, just admire the CONvoluted mindset that thinks because they were born rich they somehow 'worked' for it.

    With all the goofy whines about the rich being raped by the gubmint for the poor they seem to be in little danger of losing their millionaire status...
    do you have any point to make

    the fact is most of those who want the rich to pay more either do that because

    1) they want to buy the votes of the poor so they themselves can gain power

    2) they are upset that others are more prosperous than they are and they are unable to accept the fact that its often due to their own lack of effort or talent.

    the leftwing mindset often makes excuses for failure and blames it on others



  4. #274
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    When George Washington was elected only 6% of the population could vote because you had to be a white male property owner over the age of 21.
    That is actually not correct. States had their own rules governing the franchise - multiple states allowed blacks to vote, for example, and property restrictions varied.

    It wasn't until 1856 that the vote was expanded to include all white men. In 1868 black men got the vote and finally in 1920 women got the right to vote . It wasn't until 1972 that the voting age was lowered to 18 and the steady dumbing down of the voter pool was complete. Before people start screaming racist and misogynist that is not my point here. I'm fine with all races and women voting but we never should have dropped the property owner requirement and never should have lowered the voting age to 18. When you have reached a point in your life where you own property you have demonstrated the ability to participate in this society in a contributing way but the main thing is you have skin in the game. At this point you want America to be a stable functioning country that is prosperous and has an effective economy where your hard work will be rewarded and safe guarded. Kids and non property owners are going to vote on and for different issues than they will or would when they are a participating member of our economy and should not be allowed to vote until they do more than hang around the fringes. The extreme example of this is people on welfare voting and kids in school who have never had a job in their lives. These people have nothing to lose and everything to gain by voting against a thriving economy and for give away programs to benefit them and will vote in their own self interest instead of considering what is best for the country at large. IMO we should reinstate the original voting requirement of being a property owner.
    Well it's certainly another way of ensuring that voters incentives are aligned with the good of the whole. Alternatives could include restricting the franchise to net tax payers (those spending the money get to decide how it gets spent), but in such a case we should allow lower-income earners the option of choosing to pay a net positive tax rate in order to gain the vote. Receipt of public welfare used to disqualify you from voting in America, and I could see the argument for bringing that back as well.

    I myself am attracted to the idea of weeding out the lowest-information voters by instituting a nation-wide poll test derived from the citizenship exam (simple things like "How Many Branches of Government are there", or "Who is the Vice Presidential Candidate of the Presidential Candidate you are voting for"). Simply have the five questions at the top of the ballot, and a failure of two or more invalidates the ballot.

    But there are a few other ways that we need to mold our electorate. For example, we need smarter, less gameable methods of deciding congressional districts - current rules guarantee most members reelection, rewards them for partisanship, and punishes them for prioritizing effective governance over grandstanding.

  5. #275
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,663

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    many illegals do not pay any taxes, welfare- no taxes
    many people pay taxes with money that the government gave to them.

    lots of people use far far more government resources than they pay in taxes



  6. #276
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    That's only if you count suicide as a viable option.
    It doesn't matter what the choices are, OC. What matters is that no matter how much someone tries to control someone else they will never truly be able to do it. Regardless of the claims of the slave owners they never really owned squat. You can not own another person.

  7. #277
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by SBu View Post
    I'm not sure what the point of this rant is other than class warfare. I guess people whose parents send them to good schools and try to set them up for a good life owe society a great debt for their greater chance to success. Let's cut to the chase. What do you think we should do with such free loaders?
    Oh that wasn't class warfare, just tired of those who inherit their wealth complaining bitterly a TINY portion is given to the Government as taxes AND for all the wailing and self stroking rant the rich do, they are in little if ANY danger of losing the platinum status.

    Oh they don't owe a great debt, just quit bitching on the way to the Country Club they are being 'raped'...

    Not so sure the school the attended is a greater chance for success so much as the last name... I don't think BushII got where he is because of his C's in a 'good school'...

    Then again our elites are becoming an aristocracy instead of a meritocracy...

    As for what we should do with them... tell 'em to STFDASTFU- they ain't ever had is so good...

  8. #278
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Not at all, just admire the CONvoluted mindset that thinks because they were born rich they somehow 'worked' for it.
    What, you mean like virtually every single person who lives in the United States of America?

  9. #279
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    What, you mean like virtually every single person who lives in the United States of America?
    What you mean?

  10. #280
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    It doesn't matter what the choices are, OC.
    Actually, it does. Your belief only works if you count suicide as a real option. This is why your world view is so messed up. Your arguments have to go to absolute insane extremes to justify how they aren't outright wrong. Yes, your argument is correct if we count suicide as a real option. For the rest of the world, particularly the sane portion, your argument is bullocks because we don't accept suicide as a real option.

    What matters is that no matter how much someone tries to control someone else they will never truly be able to do it.
    The South says otherwise. As did the Spartans who ran their economy on slaves. Rome too.

    Regardless of the claims of the slave owners they never really owned squat. You can not own another person.
    That depends on how you define "own" and to which your argument will go to insane lengths to justify how it's not totally wrong.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 28 of 66 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •