View Poll Results: Should owning property be a requirement to vote

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, only property owners should vote

    10 10.00%
  • no, let everyone vote

    90 90.00%
Page 22 of 66 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 654

Thread: Only property owners should vote

  1. #211
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Actually, it's the only one that would make people think about their behavior and subsequent consequences. It's not like I'm suggesting people would lose the privilege forever, but it would be suspended while they were receiving entitlement payments...
    Unless you're willing to exempt them from all taxes while the are prohibited from voting... including gasoline taxes, sales taxes, and so on... then this idea is just selectively punitive.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #212
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    It's about the way they are likely to vote. They vote roughly the same way concerned with their interests as other groups. As far as I'm concerned they've earned it as much as anyone. I'd like to limit it to only those who put the nations best interests over their own, but there's no practical way to do that.
    Do you think there are only members of one party receiving these benefits? Again, it's about changing behavior and providing a goal to move toward...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  3. #213
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Unless you're willing to exempt them from all taxes while the are prohibited from voting... including gasoline taxes, sales taxes, and so on... then this idea is just selectively punitive.
    Can I also be exempt from paying taxes to provide support for other individuals?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  4. #214
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,811

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Put in context their is no spelled out right to vote.

    Perhaps you can then explain why the Constitution uses the phrase RIGHT TO VOTE or a variation of that same idea then five different times in five different places if it is not a RIGHT?

    It does not say the ability to vote but the RIGHT TO VOTE.

    It does not say the power to vote but the RIGHT TO VOTE.

    It does not say the act of casting a vote but RIGHT TO VOTE.

    It does not say the privilege of casting a vote but the RIGHT TO VOTE.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #215
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,188

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Do you think there are only members of one party receiving these benefits? Again, it's about changing behavior and providing a goal to move toward...
    You believe their behavior needs to be changed. I agree with you. But they disagree. We shouldn't take suffrage away over differences in political beliefs.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  6. #216
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    You believe their behavior needs to be changed. I agree with you. But they disagree. We shouldn't take suffrage away over differences in political beliefs.
    IT'S NOT ABOUT BELIEFS and certainly about suffrage...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #217
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,811

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I think only taxpayers should be allowed to vote, if you aren't literally contributing to our society why should you have any say in it?
    do you know of any adult who does not pay tax?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #218
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Can I also be exempt from paying taxes to provide support for other individuals?
    In your system, only if you give up your ability to vote as well.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #219
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    No taxation without representation!
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  10. #220
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,811

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    A formula would have to be created, as this is still a proposal. But okay: Divide your personal expenditures in various areas (health care, food, utilities, housing, transportation, child care, etc.) by the amount of government assistance you received in those areas (Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, TANF, SNAP, WIC, Section 8, etc. etc.), average them, and, if the result is less than 1, that is the percentage weight your vote carries.

    That way people on welfare are still able to vote, but the vote is weighted proportionally to the extent that they're independent adults with respect to meeting their own needs.
    So if I get no government assistance, then I am a NET TAXPAYER?

    Why is Social Security being included into the formula since I have already paid for that?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 22 of 66 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •