View Poll Results: Should owning property be a requirement to vote

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, only property owners should vote

    10 10.00%
  • no, let everyone vote

    90 90.00%
Page 19 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 654

Thread: Only property owners should vote

  1. #181
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    I don't think we should be disenfranchising voters based on how they're likely to vote, even if its for something I don't like.
    That wasn't the point of the post...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  2. #182
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,198

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    That wasn't the point of the post...
    It sure looks like it was. Taking a group of citizens and telling them they can't vote because belonging to that group could influence them to vote one way.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  3. #183
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    It sure looks like it was. Taking a group of citizens and telling them they can't vote because belonging to that group could influence them to vote one way.
    No, it is because they are dependent on the tax dollars taken from another person, or government borrowing, for their continued existence...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  4. #184
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,198

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    No, it is because they are dependent on the tax dollars taken from another person, or government borrowing, for their continued existence...
    A lot of people vote based on government programs and funding that are dependent on others tax dollars and borrowing. It's generally not good that they do it, but they shouldn't be disenfranchised.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    I think only taxpayers should be allowed to vote, if you aren't literally contributing to our society why should you have any say in it?

  6. #186
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    A lot of people vote based on government programs and funding that are dependent on others tax dollars and borrowing. It's generally not good that they do it, but they shouldn't be disenfranchised.
    Voting should be treated as a cherished privilege which is to be earned and maintained, not given away just because one happens to be a citizen...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #187
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Southwest AZ
    Last Seen
    08-12-17 @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,285

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    What is crap exactly?
    A.K.A. Ka-Ka

  8. #188
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Almost every body votes their self-interest. That shouldn't be a surprise. The key is in honestly recognizing exactly what "self-interest" is.

    It can be a poor person on welfare voting for people who will continue welfare.

    It can also be a business person voting for an elimination of consumer protection laws so they can make more money easier and with less hassle.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #189
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    So, in your simplistic view, my four year old granddaughter should have a say in how government affects her life? I don't agree. The Constitution left it up to the States to determine the qualifications to vote for members of their legislators, and those same rules apply to federal offices. It has since been modified to deny States the ability to disenfranchise individuals based on certain characteristics. Now that tax dollars forcibly sent to the federal government by individuals and subsequently sent to other individuals to meet basic needs, there should be a discussion on this subject.

    IMV, any individual who has received an entitlement payment (excluding SS and Medicare) within 180 days of a federal election should be disenfranchised from voting as they would likely vote for a candidate that supported continuation of those payments...
    : It's human nature at it finest!

    Off topic, but the doctors here inform me that I should wait till Spring to ride my bike. I'm afraid not to listen to them, so it's already in storage, but I sure do miss the fun of being a menace on the roadways!!

    Good afternoon, AP.

  10. #190
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Only property owners should vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I think only taxpayers should be allowed to vote, if you aren't literally contributing to our society why should you have any say in it?
    That's what we have now.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 19 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •