View Poll Results: Which US Wars Were Justifiable When the US Entered Them?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Iraq War

    13 20.00%
  • Afghanistan War

    41 63.08%
  • Gulf War

    33 50.77%
  • Vietnam War

    12 18.46%
  • Korean War

    31 47.69%
  • WWII

    62 95.38%
  • WWI

    38 58.46%
  • Spanish American War

    12 18.46%
  • USCW: The South Seceding From the Union

    20 30.77%
  • USCW: The Union Invading the South

    43 66.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 67

Thread: Which US Wars Were Justifiable?

  1. #51
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,488

    Re: Which US Wars Were Justifiable?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    How was Korea our responsibility, one it was necessary to fight the spread of evil and secondly because we accept joint defense agreements as well as upholding our role in the UN at the time. It was a UN operation, not a strictly US one. What many don't understand is a lot of things, like the expansion of socialism and radical Islam would eventually affect us, especially economically, so it is always better to fight those wars before they get to that point and to fight them on someone else's soil.
    If you believe in a people's right to self-determination then you must accept the choices they make whether you agree with them or not. That has been the great hypocrisy in American foreign policy for decades; conspiring in and participating in civil wars to overthrow democratically elected governments just because we don't like the fact that they were elected. You think its our responsibility to foist democracy upon the world, but what you should understand is that if a nation's populace can't or won't do the heavy lifting in establishing their own democracy then they are not ready for it. American meddling in the affairs of foreign nations has rarely accomplished anything but exacerbation of the existing problem or sowing the seeds for a bigger problem down the road.

    You say Korea was our responsibility, but the United States was one of two parties which divided it in the first place. We placed many of the despotic regimes in power and/or supported them in Latin America and the Middle East, only to declare a "need" to depose them decades down the road. We supported the Mujahideen. The United States creates the meat grinder that eats our soldiers alive because of the arrogant attitude that we need to save the people of the world from themselves, but Americans still don't get it. Minding our own business would be the greatest advance in national security in the history of this nation.
    Last edited by Napoleon; 09-24-13 at 10:24 PM.

  2. #52
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Which US Wars Were Justifiable?

    Quote Originally Posted by aberrant85 View Post
    In my opinion, the policy of containment that resulted after WWII and the wars that America got involved in as a result are similar to the overreaction of US counterterrorism efforts after 9/11. Fighting land wars in Asia because of the ideological threat of Communism seems dumb.
    Only because you are Libbo, which means a type of socialist and a commie lover.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  3. #53
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Which US Wars Were Justifiable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    If you believe in a people's right to self-determination then you must accept the choices they make whether you agree with them or not. That has been the great hypocrisy in American foreign policy for decades; conspiring in and participating in civil wars to overthrow democratically elected governments just because we don't like the fact that they were elected. You think its our responsibility to foist democracy upon the world, but what you should understand is that if a nation's populace can't or won't do the heavy lifting in establishing their own democracy then they are not ready for it. American meddling in the affairs of foreign nations has rarely accomplished anything but exacerbation of the existing problem or sowing the seeds for a bigger problem down the road.

    You say Korea was our responsibility, but the United States was one of two parties which divided it in the first place. We placed many of the despotic regimes in power and/or supported them in Latin America and the Middle East, only to declare a "need" to depose them decades down the road. We supported the Mujahideen. The United States creates the meat grinder that eats our soldiers alive because of the arrogant attitude that we need to save the people of the world from themselves, but Americans still don't get it. Minding our own business would be the greatest advance in national security in the history of this nation.
    Overthrow Democratically elected governments? Foist Democracy upon the world? Blah, blah, blah. It is never wrong to fight or kill socialist that won't stay in their own areas and try to enslave others. Hell, if there was any real justice in the world, we could legally rid ourselves of the commie lovers here.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  4. #54
    Advisor aberrant85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Last Seen
    10-04-15 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    594

    Re: Which US Wars Were Justifiable?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Overthrow Democratically elected governments? Foist Democracy upon the world? Blah, blah, blah. It is never wrong to fight or kill socialist that won't stay in their own areas and try to enslave others. Hell, if there was any real justice in the world, we could legally rid ourselves of the commie lovers here.
    The Ghost of Senator McCarthy? Is that you?
    "Obamacare delenda est"

  5. #55
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Which US Wars Were Justifiable?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Overthrow Democratically elected governments? Foist Democracy upon the world? Blah, blah, blah. It is never wrong to fight or kill socialist that won't stay in their own areas and try to enslave others. Hell, if there was any real justice in the world, we could legally rid ourselves of the commie lovers here.
    Veitnam was not our concern. You really think that communist ideology would have surpressed the Vietnamese peoples sense of nationalism, or their desire to be a independent country?

  6. #56
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,593
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which US Wars Were Justifiable?

    Quote Originally Posted by aberrant85 View Post
    For the purpose of this poll, the question is, at the time the US entered into war, was it justifiable to do so, both in its time and in hindsight.
    I voted for four of the options: WWII, The Korean War, and both options for USCW. Why?

    1. WWII: We were attacked by Japan and then Germany declared war on us. We have a right to self-defense.

    2. The Korean War: This was a war authorized by the United Nations Security Council of which we were a voting member, and which we voted for. Thus by treaty we were obligated.

    3. USCW The South Seceding: The States were correct, the Federation is voluntary and under the 10th Amendment they had a right to try to secede.

    4. USCW the North Invading the South: The Federal government has a duty to prevent rebellion.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  7. #57
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Which US Wars Were Justifiable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Veitnam was not our concern. You really think that communist ideology would have surpressed the Vietnamese peoples sense of nationalism, or their desire to be a independent country?
    Keeping people free of the slavery of socialism is our concern.

    Contrary to some peoples beliefs, the US cannot exist and remain strong enough to hold off the rest of the world in isolation. We need resources and we have trading partners throughout the world.

    Due to Soviet Expansionist policies, it was always know that confrontation between the Free, Democratic Capitalist based west and the Soviet Dictatorship following economic principles of socialism would occur. Besides protecting our allies, we could not ignore the rest of world and hope to survive when the soviets finally arrived in North America. Our economy today, as it has always been has included a large amount of foreign trade. The more peoples that fell to socialism, the less trade we would have.

    Do you think that Vietnam was a better place after the socialist took over the country? It's an economic ****hole.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  8. #58
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Which US Wars Were Justifiable?

    My knowledge of Korea is limited, but picked invasion of confederacy and WWII. I'm not into nationalism at all, only human rights. The genocide conducted by the nazis should have been dealt with much sooner, as with slavery in the south. To the extent other military action was a response to military action between 3rd parties, that is usually only playing favorites or trying to enforce "democratic values" on people who could care less. War causes suffering, regardless of which side wins.

    The one possible exception on the list, the US entering WWI - and bringing the influenza with them - quite possibly did end that war much quicker. It could have gone on well into the 1920s.

  9. #59
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Which US Wars Were Justifiable?

    Quote Originally Posted by aberrant85 View Post
    Not to diminish them, but those actions were relatively short, with limited ground troops, and few American casualties. All those make them minor military actions in the long list of American wars. And, to be brutally honest, I doubt a majority Americans could even recall them.
    Yes that is also a pattern that I have found. Just went in here, helped with our liberation, and forgotten so quickly. Whom to blame for this: Media or history books of yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  10. #60
    Advisor aberrant85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Last Seen
    10-04-15 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    594

    Re: Which US Wars Were Justifiable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    I voted for four of the options: WWII, The Korean War, and both options for USCW. Why?

    1. WWII: We were attacked by Japan and then Germany declared war on us. We have a right to self-defense.

    2. The Korean War: This was a war authorized by the United Nations Security Council of which we were a voting member, and which we voted for. Thus by treaty we were obligated.

    3. USCW The South Seceding: The States were correct, the Federation is voluntary and under the 10th Amendment they had a right to try to secede.

    4. USCW the North Invading the South: The Federal government has a duty to prevent rebellion.
    From my perspective:

    1. The South seceding from the Union was unjustifiable, mainly because slavery is indefensible, even in the 1800's, but also because since Congress is responsible for admitting states to the Union it stands to reason that they must go through Congress to secede. At the very least they could have had plebiscites to decide, but even then by not recognizing slaves no plebiscite would be legitimate. In addition, the threat they perceived was completely hypothetical; Lincoln never declared his intent to end slavery, and they seceded before he was even inaugurated, so there was no present danger to their way of life in the first place.

    2. The North had multiple justifications for waging war with the South. First, their forts and federal property were attacked and confiscated by the states. Second, the rebellions were not legal. Third, they had the moral justification for stopping the spread of slavery, and eventually its abolition.

    3. The Spanish-American War was essentially a civil war with no clear good side. The US entered the war out of imperialist ambitions, egged on by propaganda and yellow journalism, and justified by the sinking of the USS Maine, despite evidence that it probably was an accident. Therefore it was not justifiable.

    4. WWI was initially none of our business, with basically all sides fighting being aggressive and responsible for the conflict. But when democracy was increasingly threatened, and after Germans killed Americans and conspired to bring Mexico into war with the US, we had a justifiable reason to enter the war against it.

    5. WWII is the textbook definition of a justifiable war to enter.

    6. The Korean war was principally a civil war. True, we backed the South, but the war was fought out of ideology rather than imperative. In addition, fighting a proxy war against China and Russia was un-winnable. Not justified sufficiently.

    7. Vietnam was another civil war that we fought in out of an ideological opposition to communism. Unjustifiable.

    8. The Gulf War was a war of aggression against Kuwait, not a civil war, and retaliating against Saddam was backed by world opinion. We set attainable goals early on and put in enough troops to attain victory. Despite the national interest of oil muddying the affair, there was plenty of justification for the war.

    9. Afghanistan was as justifiable as fighting in WWII. However the war planners botched the execution.

    10. The Iraq War was a war of aggression based on faulty evidence that was unwisely believed by a cabal of fanatic ideologues without realistically appraising the national security interests and stability of the region. Unjustifiable.

    And for the record:

    Revolutionary War, justifiable
    War of 1812, justifiable
    Mexican-American War, unjustifiable
    "Obamacare delenda est"

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •