View Poll Results: Is blaming the victim a problem in our society?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • That's the understatement of the year. YES.

    10 35.71%
  • Somewhat, yeah.

    10 35.71%
  • Maybe, but there are far worse problems than this.

    3 10.71%
  • No. Jedem das Seine.

    5 17.86%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 50

Thread: Blaming the Victim

  1. #31
    Guru
    sbrettt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Prospect park, PA
    Last Seen
    08-09-15 @ 07:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,724

    Re: Blaming the Victim

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I figured it may not be the highest (since there are so many countries out there, many of which are not in an economically bad place right now), but I'd still contend with anyone who says that it's not high.
    At least we're not the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Should I be free to buy anthrax and a rocket launcher?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    Is there a reason you shouldnt be free to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tothian View Post
    Obamacare wants to put a chip inside people. There is a video of it on youtube.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Blaming the Victim

    Quote Originally Posted by sbrettt View Post
    At least we're not the UK.
    Well, I question the validity of that report when it mentioned France and Spain as "socially mobile" anyway.

    UK has to be higher than both of those countries.

  3. #33
    Guru
    sbrettt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Prospect park, PA
    Last Seen
    08-09-15 @ 07:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,724

    Re: Blaming the Victim

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Well, I question the validity of that report when it mentioned France and Spain as "socially mobile" anyway.

    UK has to be higher than both of those countries.
    Eh, I believe it. From what I hear the UK isn't doing to hot economically lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Should I be free to buy anthrax and a rocket launcher?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    Is there a reason you shouldnt be free to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tothian View Post
    Obamacare wants to put a chip inside people. There is a video of it on youtube.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Blaming the Victim

    Quote Originally Posted by sbrettt View Post
    Eh, I believe it. From what I hear the UK isn't doing to hot economically lately.
    They had nowhere to go but down. When much of Europe was sinking, they were managing to stay afloat pretty well.

    Everything's cyclical, I guess.

  5. #35
    Guru
    sbrettt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Prospect park, PA
    Last Seen
    08-09-15 @ 07:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,724

    Re: Blaming the Victim

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    They had nowhere to go but down. When much of Europe was sinking, they were managing to stay afloat pretty well.

    Everything's cyclical, I guess.
    Don't take my word for it. Read what the Guardian has to say about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Should I be free to buy anthrax and a rocket launcher?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    Is there a reason you shouldnt be free to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tothian View Post
    Obamacare wants to put a chip inside people. There is a video of it on youtube.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Blaming the Victim

    Quote Originally Posted by sbrettt View Post
    Don't take my word for it. Read what the Guardian has to say about it.
    Guardian? Pfft. Only good Brit rag is the Sun.

  7. #37
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,500

    Re: Blaming the Victim

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Define "victim", please.

    I think it needs to be more like: Define "blaming the victim". Or there is a term of a slightly different perspective known as "denying the victim"

    At any rate....

    But like you, I think we need a base definition in order to offer an opinion.

  8. #38
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Blaming the Victim

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Blaming people for being born poor? Nope, what they did for themselves afterwards, sure. See, here's the deal. I was born into a "working poor" family. We were "working poor" most of my childhood. We never too food stamps and we never sat around waiting for the government to do something for us. I started working when I was 13. Since then I have bought my own clothes, shoes and I purchased my own vehicle and paid for the insurance starting at age 15.

    I am where I am today, not rich by any means, because of choices I made. If your born poor and you want to play the "victim" the only thing you are a victim of is your own poor choices and your unwillingness not to take opportunities to better yourself.
    If you never had to take food stamps then you were not poor the way the people I'm talking about are. If you weren't constantly worried about paying your rent, then you were not poor the way the poor of this country are today. If you bought a car at 15 and paid for the insurance, then you were not poor the way food stamp recipients are today. When you were 15, the wages you were making for whatever job you had could buy four times as much as they can now. I don't mean due to inflation. I mean that it would have taken four times as many hours of work to buy the same thing now that it did then. The era you grew up in is gone. The divide, not just between rich and poor, but everybody and poor, is much wider. Saying that this change is just due to "poor choices" is exactly blaming the victim.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  9. #39
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,500

    Re: Blaming the Victim

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    If you never had to take food stamps then you were not poor the way the people I'm talking about are. If you weren't constantly worried about paying your rent, then you were not poor the way the poor of this country are today. If you bought a car at 15 and paid for the insurance, then you were not poor the way food stamp recipients are today. When you were 15, the wages you were making for whatever job you had could buy four times as much as they can now. I don't mean due to inflation. I mean that it would have taken four times as many hours of work to buy the same thing now that it did then. The era you grew up in is gone. The divide, not just between rich and poor, but everybody and poor, is much wider. Saying that this change is just due to "poor choices" is exactly blaming the victim.
    Every time something within the realm of this topic arises. It never fails that a lot of people demonstrate that they simply aren't educated in...or are aware of the complexities of generational poverty.

    It's always assumed that all people have the same perspectives on what social norms are or aren't. Or that all people have equal opportunity if they just apply themselves foregoing all of the instances in which we know prejudices and discrimination are prevalent. Or that the common socialization processes should inspire those who are born to lower socioeconomic families...suddenly see the light and the errors of their fathers and mothers...and prior generations who all seems to be victims of their own lack of willingness to rise above the obvious.

    Thanks Pasche..

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Blaming the Victim

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    If you never had to take food stamps then you were not poor the way the people I'm talking about are. If you weren't constantly worried about paying your rent, then you were not poor the way the poor of this country are today. If you bought a car at 15 and paid for the insurance, then you were not poor the way food stamp recipients are today. When you were 15, the wages you were making for whatever job you had could buy four times as much as they can now. I don't mean due to inflation. I mean that it would have taken four times as many hours of work to buy the same thing now that it did then. The era you grew up in is gone. The divide, not just between rich and poor, but everybody and poor, is much wider. Saying that this change is just due to "poor choices" is exactly blaming the victim.
    A Big Mac here is 3 bucks now. Are you saying that it was 75 cents when I was 15? I promise you that you're wrong.

    When I was young, a VHS VCR costs 2,000 dollars. Today I can get a Blu-ray player for 70. Yeah, that dollar sure has lost its stretch...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •