View Poll Results: Should NFL be required to pay Federal taxes?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (explain)

    46 80.70%
  • No (explain)

    6 10.53%
  • Other (explain)

    5 8.77%
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 159

Thread: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

  1. #1
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    From change.org:

    Despite the fact that it is a $9Billion/Year industry, the National Football League (NFL) continues to enjoy status as a non-profit organization -- meaning it doesn’t have to pay federal corporate taxes.

    The Commissioner of the NFL, Roger Goodell, makes nearly $30 million a year -- earning more than the heads of companies like Coca-Cola and Wal-Mart. Through TV deals alone, the NFL has inked nearly $30 billion with various television networks. And so often, fans like you and me are asked to foot the bill for new stadiums through our own taxes.

    Yet despite being the most profitable sports league in the entire world, the NFL does not pay federal taxes.
    http://www.change.org/petitions/cong...ootball-league


    The question is fairly black and white; should the NFL's status as tax exempt be revoked?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  2. #2
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Last Seen
    11-16-17 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,775

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    From change.org:



    http://www.change.org/petitions/cong...ootball-leagueThe question is fairly black and white; should the NFL's status as tax exempt be revoked?
    A simple question but to what end; Why ? ?

    Thom Paine

  3. #3
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Paine View Post
    A simple question but to what end; Why ? ?

    Thom Paine
    Because when I make my first billion (the hardest part) I don't see why they should pay less taxes than me. This whole non-profit thing is total bull****. Bad enough these phony churches get it, why do sports get a break that others don't?

  4. #4
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    I believe they should be taxed, absolutely. I understand they qualify for tax-exempt by the letter of the law as it is currently written, but I also believe that they are not now what was originally intended.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #5
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Last Seen
    11-16-17 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,775

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Because when I make my first billion (the hardest part) I don't see why they should pay less taxes than me. This whole non-profit thing is total bull****. Bad enough these phony churches get it, why do sports get a break that others don't?
    Well, let's make "The Specklebang Gang" a non profit .. no worries !

    The teams are taxed; I don't see a reason to tax the association because it distributes much of the money to the teams; seems like double taxation and I wouldn't care for that for myself.

    Thom Paine

  6. #6
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Paine View Post
    Well, let's make "The Specklebang Gang" a non profit .. no worries !

    The teams are taxed; I don't see a reason to tax the association because it distributes much of the money to the teams; seems like double taxation and I wouldn't care for that for myself.

    Thom Paine
    Much of the money, not all.

    And they can issue the teams a 1099 for all I care.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #7
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Most definitely, building a $1 billion stadium in the great recession was tasteless enough, but this is nothing but pure entertainment. They are not a necessity of life.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Why don't we just tax people and stop pretending that other entities can pay taxes.

  9. #9
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Paine View Post
    Well, let's make "The Specklebang Gang" a non profit .. no worries !

    The teams are taxed; I don't see a reason to tax the association because it distributes much of the money to the teams; seems like double taxation and I wouldn't care for that for myself.

    Thom Paine
    If I could make my post disappear, I would. What do I know about the NFL financial structure? Nothing. So what was the point of the post? Nothing.

  10. #10
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Last Seen
    11-16-17 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,775

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    If I could make my post disappear, I would. What do I know about the NFL financial structure? Nothing. So what was the point of the post? Nothing.
    Sometimes, our fingers get caught up in the frenzy of the moment and like unruly children they momentarily take over. Why, I had to slap the hell outta' my left hand for getting out of control on another post...

    Have a great day, Speck

    Thom Paine

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •