View Poll Results: Should NFL be required to pay Federal taxes?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (explain)

    46 80.70%
  • No (explain)

    6 10.53%
  • Other (explain)

    5 8.77%
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 159

Thread: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

  1. #81
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    It is a non-profit organization that serves the admin needs of the teams. [/B]
    Catering exclusively to the business needs of specific for profit organizations is not something a non-profit organization is allowed to do.

    It is funded by the teams and does not make any profit.
    Any idiots can spend money to avoid making a profit. What defines a non-profit is serving some kind of useful societal function that justifies not paying taxes. The NFL doesn't meet that standard.


    You made the claim.
    The NFL and the NBA both engage in the same kind of profit seeking business. They do exclusive deals with specific teams to make money by generating ticket sales, advertising revenue and IP licensing. The goals and methods of both organizations are nearly identical other than the sport played. The only difference is the NBA doesn't try and lie about the fact they are a for profit business.

  2. #82
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    When you speak of billions of dollars, you are referring to the money made by teams - which is taxed. 6m per team is not taxed because it is dues paid to a non-profit organization. Even if the NFL lost tax-exempt status, only that 6m per team would be open to new taxes.

  3. #83
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Absolutely we should, they should never qualify as a non-profit organization because they make nothing but profit!
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #84
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    When you speak of billions of dollars, you are referring to the money made by teams - which is taxed. 6m per team is not taxed because it is dues paid to a non-profit organization. Even if the NFL lost tax-exempt status, only that 6m per team would be open to new taxes.
    That's still $192 million taxable dollars across the NFL, absolutely it ought to be taxed.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #85
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    That's still $192 million taxable dollars across the NFL, absolutely it ought to be taxed.
    Why? It is dues to a non-profit. The NFL org does not make any money, it merely spends the dues received.

    At least you seem to realize that we're not talking about billions.

  6. #86
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Why? It is dues to a non-profit. The NFL org does not make any money, it merely spends the dues received.

    At least you seem to realize that we're not talking about billions.
    No, we're not, that's $6 million per team for 32 teams, it's simple math. Still, the NFL doesn't really deserve to be a non-profit organization, they do no charitable work, there's no point whatsoever to them not paying taxes, no matter how "small" the amount is. I'd say the same if they were only making $1.97. Everyone, except for direct charities, ought to pay taxes.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #87
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    No, we're not, that's $6 million per team for 32 teams, it's simple math. Still, the NFL doesn't really deserve to be a non-profit organization, they do no charitable work, there's no point whatsoever to them not paying taxes, no matter how "small" the amount is. I'd say the same if they were only making $1.97. Everyone, except for direct charities, ought to pay taxes.
    Hah

    This article discusses issues relating to the tax-exempt status under IRC 501(c)(6) of business leagues, chambers of commerce, boards of trade, and similar organizations. As of March 31, 2002, there were 71,032 organizations recognized as tax-exempt under IRC 501(c)(6).
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopick03.pdf

  8. #88
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    It's not. But, based on your last two responses, I now know that casual communication is not your strong suit. (Seriously, most people would have gotten that.) Duly noted.
    Then don't put it forward as the reason they're not a non-profit.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  9. #89
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    Then don't put it forward as the reason they're not a non-profit.
    Yes, I overestimated and gave credit where it wasn't warranted. I'll try to not make that mistake again.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #90
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Yeah, I don't know why people keep going back to "charity" since "charity" is not the definition of a non-profit.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •