View Poll Results: Should NFL be required to pay Federal taxes?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (explain)

    46 80.70%
  • No (explain)

    6 10.53%
  • Other (explain)

    5 8.77%
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 159

Thread: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

  1. #61
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I think they (and really all) non-profits should have certain rules about how much they are allowed to pay their employees if they wish to keep non-profit status. If upper management of a non-profit is receiving as much pay as most CEOs of major corporations, then yes, that shows that they are making an actual profit, and that it is going into the pockets of their employees, particularly upper level employees. Now, I wouldn't automatically revoke non-profit status, but it would essentially be redistribution of the money or reducing how much money is taken in overall.
    Some would counter that it takes money to attract the best qualified people, and I don't necessarily disagree with that, but there is some point where you have to question the person's devotion to the cause if the amount of money means that much to them.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #62
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    This argument is such a scam. Every team owner, player and other associate in the NFL pays taxes. Only the league administration is a non-profit organization.
    I'll repeat: this argument is BS. The NFL administration is responsible for an insignificant part of "NFL profits". The admin's total spending is nothing compared to revenue. All revenue is taxed.

  3. #63
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,261

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Most definitely, building a $1 billion stadium in the great recession was tasteless enough, but this is nothing but pure entertainment. They are not a necessity of life.
    Who built the stadium? Must have been some company I suppose.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #64
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,628

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Of course it costs us to give an entity a subsidy that effectively pays their taxes for them. We do it for GE, for Exxon, and now for the NFL? Ridiculous. GE paid zero U S income taxes last time I read about their taxes. That was money out of my pocket and out of your pocket. For companies that don't even need it. Our taxpayer money goes straight into a rich company's pot of gold.

  5. #65
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    I reacted to your statement comparing corporations to wolves, which to me is too broad. If you are referring to non-profits, it still seems to overbroad to me, but whatever. Victory? WTF is that on an online board?
    I think you misread my statement:
    .... if they actually used their donations to do good, I'd feel differently. But most of them are just corporations wearing sheep's clothing.
    As for the "victory", I'm just being friendly and humorous, you've misread my original statement and my response. OK? WTF is anything on an online board? It's all just conversation, we have little impact on final outcomes.

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    College football is too often one-sided to be enjoyable, though I will watch a game occasionally if I have time.
    There's always a good game on or two. Though this last weekend was pretty boring.

  7. #67
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I think they (and really all) non-profits should have certain rules about how much they are allowed to pay their employees if they wish to keep non-profit status. If upper management of a non-profit is receiving as much pay as most CEOs of major corporations, then yes, that shows that they are making an actual profit, and that it is going into the pockets of their employees, particularly upper level employees. Now, I wouldn't automatically revoke non-profit status, but it would essentially be redistribution of the money or reducing how much money is taken in overall.
    Then you have the valid argument of needed to compete with for-profit corporate America for top quality executives who know what they're doing. The same can be said for compensation for the leader of the free world but at least he'll get rich after he leaves office.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  8. #68
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I'll repeat: this argument is BS. The NFL administration is responsible for an insignificant part of "NFL profits". The admin's total spending is nothing compared to revenue. All revenue is taxed.
    I honestly don't think a lot of people understand the difference between revenue and profits. A bank teller is "responsible" for millions of dollars a year but isn't taxed on it because its not her's to keep. The NFL does not operate in order to make a profit (for itself). It does a good job however at helping the teams make a profit, and those teams pay taxes.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  9. #69
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    The money that teams pay to run the NFL administration has already been taxed.

  10. #70
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    The money that teams pay to run the NFL administration has already been taxed.
    At a significantly reduced rate because the multi-million dollar memberships dues paid to the NFL lowers their liability. Considering that other sports leagues like the NBA admit to being for profit businesses, what exactly makes the NFL special in deserving 501c6 status?

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •