View Poll Results: Should NFL be required to pay Federal taxes?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (explain)

    46 80.70%
  • No (explain)

    6 10.53%
  • Other (explain)

    5 8.77%
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 159

Thread: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

  1. #41
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,628

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    What???? I didn't know the NFL was tax exempt! Why on earth is THAT? That's ridiculous! I say cut this before we cut food stamps. (Obviously, I'm not a sports fan.)

  2. #42
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Why don't we just tax people and stop pretending that other entities can pay taxes.
    I agree with you in principle but I think it would take more then just that to be fair. The entire system needs reformed in my opinion and until these entities can no longer benefit individuals they need to be taxed. What I mean by this is lets say Corporation X purchases lush resort properties to house their top CEOs, furnish them cars, planes, ect. all of which are used for personal use as well as business use. Many business will simply count them as business expenses while the individual may pay no taxes on these benefits. Essentially if entities were tax exempt they could simple provide employees with all that they need and avoid the tax burden on their employees.

  3. #43
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,386

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Here's a candidate that I personally have investigated, the Lied Animal Foundation, a true money-maker that pays no taxes and has a history of murder to increase the bottom line. Advocacy for exceptional cats in imminent danger

    I'd like to see every one of them taxed. You know that if they actually used their donations to do good, I'd feel differently. But most of them are just corporations wearing sheep's clothing. They pay themselves well, contract services to friends and often the supposed cause sees only a fraction of their unearned income (donations). On a scale of 1 to 10, altruism is usually about a 1.
    I have no doubt you researched them and I accept your judgement; however, I do have to respond to this: "corporations wearing sheep's clothing". What propaganda nonsense. If you don't want corporations to exist then seek to have them outlawed! Just keep in mind that organizations such as the Red Cross are corporations.

    You may backtrack now.

  4. #44
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    I never realized that the NFL was tax exempt in the first place. I can see no reason why it should be. I say revoke it.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  5. #45
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,209

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    From change.org:



    http://www.change.org/petitions/cong...ootball-league


    The question is fairly black and white; should the NFL's status as tax exempt be revoked?
    Is this some kind of sneaky plan to get more federal control over the NFL (e. g. changing the name of the DC football team?)

  6. #46
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    I have no doubt you researched them and I accept your judgement; however, I do have to respond to this: "corporations wearing sheep's clothing". What propaganda nonsense. If you don't want corporations to exist then seek to have them outlawed! Just keep in mind that organizations such as the Red Cross are corporations.

    You may backtrack now.
    Why should I backtrack? Where are you coming up with "corporations". My topic is "non-profit" corporations and if you want to do some research, you'll see exactly what I see, fine wages, friends in management and subcontracting services to secret affiliates. This is true in many cases, not all. Some are completely dedicated to their good works. Some politicians are honest. Some cats speak Klingon.

    Overstating your case will not give you victory.

  7. #47
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    The NFL acts as an organization entity for the teams, it's not a for-profit institution.

    The fact that Goddell's pay (who. by the way, definitely pays taxes) is used as evidence to the contrary demonstrates the ignorance of supporters of taxing the NFL.

    Is UNICEF not a non-profit merely because their higher executives get large paychecks?
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  8. #48
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    The NFL acts as an organization entity for the teams, it's not a for-profit institution.

    The fact that Goddell's pay (who. by the way, definitely pays taxes) is used as evidence to the contrary demonstrates the ignorance of supporters of taxing the NFL.

    Is UNICEF not a non-profit merely because their higher executives get large paychecks?
    The fact that Goodell pays income tax is neither here nor there. Bill Gates also pays income tax and his company is "for profit", yet we don't consider that to be double-taxation.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #49
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    The fact that Goodell pays income tax is neither here nor there. Bill Gates also pays income tax and his company is "for profit", yet we don't consider that to be double-taxation.
    when did I say that? All I said about Goddell's taxation is that his pay has absolutely nothing to do with NFL's non-profit status.

    The NFL is a non-profit because it doesn't operate for-profit but as an organization institution for the Football teams.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  10. #50
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,386

    Re: Should Congress revoke the NFL's tax exempt status?

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Why should I backtrack? Where are you coming up with "corporations". My topic is "non-profit" corporations and if you want to do some research, you'll see exactly what I see, fine wages, friends in management and subcontracting services to secret affiliates. This is true in many cases, not all. Some are completely dedicated to their good works. Some politicians are honest. Some cats speak Klingon.

    Overstating your case will not give you victory.
    I reacted to your statement comparing corporations to wolves, which to me is too broad. If you are referring to non-profits, it still seems to overbroad to me, but whatever. Victory? WTF is that on an online board?

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •